Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
NOT BRITTANY. Had them for 40 years, shed like crazy and very high energy; need LOTS of exercise and attention.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by ribka
labs are ok for an average family dog. Or you can up your tastes

Too much shedding, problems with weight and joints. Great dogs otherwise.

Most dogs are gonna shed, but it’s amazing what researching a breeder and then a pairing coupled with appropriate exercise for the dog can do for problems with weight and joints. Although, blaming the breed is also a solid plan.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
You need a Lab!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

A Lab mixed with a Golden, judging by that feathering on his tail.
Lab/Golden mixes are good dogs too - my parents have had 3 over the past 40 years.

Nope he is a red lab. They are brothers

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Natty_Bumpo
NOT BRITTANY. Had them for 40 years, shed like crazy and very high energy; need LOTS of exercise and attention.

Neighbor who shouldn't own any dogs owns a Britt. He's the doggie-doo scourge of the neighborhood. I've had said neighbor out in the dark on hands and knees looking for the "pile" and yet he seems oblivious or unable to control the thing. Walks the turd-machine w/E-collar attached but only to keep him from getting too far or jumping on people, no problem letting the dog crap wherever it wants then walks away and hope no-one sees.

I've not hunted with a Britt that was ever an asset to the hunt. Running fools that had no discipline, didn't point or hold birds, and in all cases were aggressive towards other dogs.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You need a Lab!

Lab/Golden mixes are good dogs too - my parents have had 3 over the past 40 years.

Feathered tail and ears say that ain't all lab no matter what some papers say. All labs that are all lab have a smooth coat.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
You need a Lab!

Feathered tail and ears say that ain't all lab no matter what some papers say. All labs that are all lab have a smooth coat.

Well they are both akc registered as are both parents.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yep, it appears that lab’s mom went slumming in the kennel.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Why don't you use your google fu and look up long haired red lab!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You need a Lab!

Oh.

See prior comments about popular breeds and backyard breeders. An AKC registration amounts to sending in a piece of paper. There is no AKC police force to come check to make sure someone’s dog was knocked up by the dog the paper indicates.

That dog has golden retriever in it and it’s pretty obvious.

Dog genetic tests to show breed composition are fairly inexpensive. Buy one and give it a whirl. Might surprise you. I’m happy to eat crow if necessary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

Most dogs are gonna shed, but it’s amazing what researching a breeder and then a pairing coupled with appropriate exercise for the dog can do for problems with weight and joints. Although, blaming the breed is also a solid plan.

OK then ..... I will walk between 35 and 40km this week, so I see several dogs on a daily basis while out with mine. I saw a pattern with labs, so I looked for a breed with less troubles and found it. Blaming me or the breeder is some funny.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by deflave
Labradoodles rank right up there with "silver labs."

AVOID.

I thought that Silver Labs were Weimaraners that hadn't learned how to point? Neighbor's SIL had one of those and he got hoppin' mad when we dubbed his Weim "The Grey Lab". But, what else do you call a Weim that retrieves and won't point?

Last edited by horse1; 01/15/21.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

OK then ..... I will walk between 35 and 40km this week, so I see several dogs on a daily basis while out with mine. I saw a pattern with labs, so I looked for a breed with less troubles and found it. Blaming me or the breeder is some funny.

Awesome. I’ve never seen a lab that was exercised properly become fat and the joint thing can be all but eliminated by choosing a breeder who tests properly and breeds accordingly. But your anecdotal evidence will suffice. Congrats on the walking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Airedale gets my vote

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I know all 3 of the Cocker/Springer breeders/trainiers from Bismarck that I referenced earlier in this thread. Between the 3 of them occasionally there's an "Oops" breeding of a springer with a cocker. Happens when somebody doesn't catch a female in heat quickly enough. They've nicknamed the combo a "Sprocker". Before I owned him, my 1st male cocker sired such a litter in fact.

My dog and the mother springer were both very well pedigreed. That didn't make their mutt pups AKC anything other than mutts. They made great pets and hunting dogs, a friend got one of the females from the Oops litter.

There's no "Long Haired Red Lab" that's all Labrador Retriever. In fact, given your "Red Lab's" narrow head, a bit of Irish Setter isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I know all 3 of the Cocker/Springer breeders/trainiers from Bismarck that I referenced earlier in this thread. Between the 3 of them occasionally there's an "Oops" breeding of a springer with a cocker. Happens when somebody doesn't catch a female in heat quickly enough. They've nicknamed the combo a "Sprocker". Before I owned him, my 1st male cocker sired such a litter in fact.

My dog and the mother springer were both very well pedigreed. That didn't make their mutt pups AKC anything other than mutts. They made great pets and hunting dogs, a friend got one of the females from the Oops litter.

There's no "Long Haired Red Lab" that's all Labrador Retriever. In fact, given your "Red Lab's" narrow head, a bit of Irish Setter isn't out of the realm of possibility either.

Might as well save your breath - he doesn't want to hear it, or believe it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Best dog I ever had is in my avatar, a heeler/sheepdog mutt purchased for $15 as a puppy at a South Texas feed store. Easy to train, completely devoted, in the woods all day I never had to say a word, she read hand signals and gestures.

My one sister bred the blue heeler I gave her to an Australian Shepherd, both good dogs, a great litter of pups. One of them saved its owner when she got cornered in a stall by a beef heifer that was repeatedly butting her. Attracted by her yelling the dog came running, jumped on the heifer and started biting it around the ears, causing it to back off. It wasn’t trained for that, just did it on the spur of the moment.

These generic heeler/herding breed mutts are common in ranch country, recently given the moniker “Texas Heeler”. Were I looking for a dog that’s where I’d look first.

In the days of newspapers the classifieds down here were the place to look, typically “working parents, on site.”, less than $200.

https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/texas-heeler-breed-overview/

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, as usual for a campfire thread, this has gone completely off the rails so I might as well throw in a completely off the wall suggestion to make it interesting.

My Daughter in Law is somewhat of a dog enthusiast and researches the heck out of dogs before committing to one. She worked for vets for quite some time and several breeders and knows the good and bad of most breeds and what to watch for- in temperament and in genetic lines that can cause issues like joint problems, cancers, and other maladies that seem to haunt particular dogs. She and I have had some "spirited" discussions about rescue dogs. She is adamant that if people just bought their dogs from reputable breeders , there wouldn't be the health problems that many dogs seem to have. My contention is that rescue dogs need a family too and are quite often extremely loyal, loving dogs that love their family if you choose well... we choose to agree to disagree, though I have no problem with her purebred dogs, even though I sometimes question the fact my son has to pay the ridiculous prices purebreds are getting these days....

But enough of that... my son and DIL have a thing for smashed face dogs (and cats) and she has been dealing with and breeding Pugs for quite some time off and on- not as a business proposition. The last time she had a litter of pugs, she also got a Bull Mastiff pup about the same age and they have grown up together as brothers. But the Pug rules the roost most of the time, which is funny as hell- watching a 10 lb dog grab hold of a 130 lb dog's jowls and raise hell because he was messing with something she had laid claim to... But the thing is, I've always loved dogs, but my wife isn't a dog person. But my son's Bull Mastiff is the coolest dog I've ever been around. You will never find a more loving dog or family dog than a Bull Mastiff. They are dust collectors most of the time, unless someone comes to the door that they don't recognize or someone tries to get aggressive with their people. They don't bite, they are bred to be the "groundskeepers' friend" in England originally the way I hear the story. They will jump up at an aggressor, knock them over with their huge front paws and legs, and stand over them with their huge head in the poachers face until the groundskeeper can catch up and effect an action. They crate well and train exceptionally well. They want attention and to love their owners so badly they will try to get inside your skin to get as close to you as possible. It is comical and sometimes uncomfortable having a 130 lb lap dog, but that is what he thinks he is. Not much for hunting as "smash faced dogs" don't breathe well and can't be run for long distances or in the heat. But no dog I've ever met will love your family as much as one of these big lugs...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Might as well save your breath - he doesn't want to hear it, or believe it.

Breeders that don’t dq these dogs from breeding are the problem. The other problem is $ . AKC just cares about the money from registering litters. Breed standards be damned.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
tag page 4

Last edited by backtobethel; 01/15/21.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,903 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,355
Posts18,468,899
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.