Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cpw has a video out there showing radio collared elk movements as the result of the Cameron peak fire. It’s pretty interesting to see how the responded to the fire.

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Good video. The takeaway is that the elk are well adapted to fire--it's been happening since elk have arrived on this continent.

Another point I have tried to make in the past is when the USFS gives an estimate of the size of these fires it's all the acreage inside the perimeter of the fire. On average, 40%-60% of the area inside the fire burns in a normal forest fire (whatever "normal" is), leaving large islands of unburned vegetation. Those unburned areas also tend to "seed" the burned areas.

Usually, those unburned areas were not ready to burn. They will be ready to burn sometime in the future though, while the previously burned areas with newer growth will not burn, once again leaving large, green islands of trees/vegetation.

The forests of the western US are well adapted to fire, and many of these forests are fire dependent--fire is as important to the forest as the sun coming up in the morning.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Good video. The takeaway is that the elk are well adapted to fire--it's been happening since elk have arrived on this continent.

Another point I have tried to make in the past is when the USFS gives an estimate of the size of these fires it's all the acreage inside the perimeter of the fire. On average, 40%-60% of the area inside the fire burns in a normal forest fire (whatever "normal" is), leaving large islands of unburned vegetation. Those unburned areas also tend to "seed" the burned areas.

Usually, those unburned areas were not ready to burn. They will be ready to burn sometime in the future though, while the previously burned areas with newer growth will not burn, once again leaving large, green islands of trees/vegetation.

The forests of the western US are well adapted to fire, and many of these forests are fire dependent--fire is as important to the forest as the sun coming up in the morning.

Amen...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Actually the video is about the elk in the Cameron Peak fire, but the same can be expected from any other fire in the southern Rockies.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The major difference I suspect from the Cameron Peak fire and E. Troublesome fire regarding wildlife is the CF burned over a longer time. I am guessing a good number of critters perished in the 24 hours of Biblical surge during the E.Troublesome fire when it ran 18 miles or so in that time frame. Unfathomable!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by troublesome82
The major difference I suspect from the Cameron Peak fire and E. Troublesome fire regarding wildlife is the CF burned over a longer time. I am guessing a good number of critters perished in the 24 hours of Biblical surge during the E.Troublesome fire when it ran 18 miles or so in that time frame. Unfathomable!

The Cameron Peak fire made two big runs. One from the upper Poudre to the Pingree Park area, the second one went 17 miles overnight. It actually covered about the same amount ground in a straight line in less time than the Troublesome fire. The second run was a twin of the Troublesome fire less than a week later.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
^^^^thanks for that, did not realize that.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I am absolutely clueless as to how common collared elk are out there, but over the years I have seen several (both bull and cow) come thru the ranch. Always suspected they came out of RMNP.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I killed two cows over the years with a collar and my first bull in the troublesome, circa mid 80's had a collar.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Some years back, blue algae killed ~ 100 elk on a ranch we used to lease.
I asked the manager, about a month later, about the elk - and he said the numbers on the place had come back to ~ normal in 2 weeks or less.
Seems elk are resilient !

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
it will be interesting to see what if anything shows up on the winter range this winter, between lead poisoning and wildfire it has to be not much in comparison to a few years ago, and there aint much chow waiting on their arrival either. I fear for my haystack... But I predict CPW will find numbers that support tag allotments in either the same or even greater numbers than in recent years. It is a safe prediction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
A CPW biologist put out a video of collared elk during the fire that tracked their movements.It showed they stayed ahead of the fire or moved around it .Not a significant number died

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Elk and other big game are well adapted to dealing with fire. The collared elk in the Cameron Peak fire simply moved around it and most to moved to the large unburned "islands". Some even took a shortcut through the fire.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
They must have learned during the fire to walk very light footed cause they don't even leave tracks in the snow this winter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 06hunter59, 257man, 73 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,667
Posts18,399,373
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.