Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
H5farm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
H
I am currently building a new house. The house is all brick but features a large front porch with two wood posts and a large front gable roof centered on the front door. In this gable there will be two large post on the porch with a kings truss framed in the center. I will also have a metal shop that [bleep] close to the house with a small wrap around porch that will also have three to four matching post in it as well.

I am currently researching what to use for this wood. I have decided on either 10x10 or 12 x 12 posts. My options in my area are Cedar, which will cost me about $6500. Fir which will cost me $4200. Or Pine that has been rough sawed and lightly sanded for $2100. Prices are for 12 x 12.

The cedar is very hard to come by right now so I may be limited to 10x10 if I choose that. I have price the big chain local lumber yards and a specialty shop that sells mostly items for timber framed homes.

According to the guy I talked with the pine boards in his opinion would be just as good as the cedar. The rough sawed cut that was lightly sanded with 60 grit sand paper would look the best for what I wanted them for. All of the boards are dried lumber but have not been chemically treated. They will all need staining or sealing of some kind.

I do not have much knowledge about wood as in which lasts the longest and what and what is not worth the money. The specialty shop also offers other kinds of finishing for the wood to make it look like reclaimed wood.

I would welcome any opinions. Here is link to the finishes.

https://www.midwesttimbersupply.com/custom-textures-and-finishes/

Last edited by H5farm; 01/15/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cedar would be the longest lasting, by far. Cedar would be my choice.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
doug fir......

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If there's no ground contact, and you keep up with a bit of finishing maintenance ( a good oil base sealer ) every so often (it will vary with your location, exposure to the elements etc) don't see why pine won't last well past your lifetime.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by H5farm

According to the guy I talked with the pine boards in his opinion would be just as good as the cedar.

Whew !!!!,.... and I have a bridge for sale. Cheap.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Douglas Fir..

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cedar has gotten very pricy around here because Clr VG Redwood is unaffordable, that's putting upward pressure on the cedar mkt

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Put metal post in and face with cedar 1x10. Nobody will notice

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/15/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Saddlesore has it right!
Even when kiln-dried, timbers the size you want will still check and shrink.
A goof friend did a timber framed section of his new house, had a local supplier do the kiln-drying, moisture meter read okay................while sitting on horses in a heated shop, you could hear the timbers crack. He used a new system of machined fasteners that were interlocking. One year after assembly, there were fairly large gaps between the joints. While the fasteners kept things from moving, the shrinkage was pretty unsightly.

You must always remember, even though wood is cut and "killed", it is still alive and will shrink and expand. Saddlesores recommendation is spot on, and is the only method I will use. It simply works. I've been doing Finish Carpentry and High-End Architectural Woodworking for forty two years.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Aren't you in SW MO?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a wrapped post, don't call it Timberframe. I've always considered that the lazy man's way to get "exposed beams" which are nothing more than decoration and pretty easy to see exactly what they are.

If you want a true Timberframe entry, you can get it in any wood you want if you have the deep pockets for it, but Doug Fir has always been the preferred material cut FOHC (Free of Heart Center) and closely followed by Southern Yellow Pine, which closely follows Doug fir for dimensional strength and stability. I sold Timberframe homes for a while and erected several so I know a little bit about them....

Most Timberframe homes use an oil over the wood to seal it and reapply every few years to keep them sealed. One I remember being most popular was Deck Pro Oil and you can just spray it on with a garden sprayer if you like. Keep in mind no matter what you use, unless you get RF Dried Timbers you are probably going to get some checking over time. This is usually not a problem and is considered normal to the aging process. If it is a true Timberframe with mortise and tenon joints and dowels, the frame itself will remain strong and stable for longer than you will be alive.. To keep the checking to a minimum, try to get your frame cut and installed during low humidity swing times of year. Winter or early Spring are best... Also, be sure to contract with a company that sources their logs from very large old growth Doug fir. These will tend to check and twist much less but very few mills these days are set up to cut large logs any more.

Do some research and check out Timberframe companies before committing to a frame of any type would be my best recommendation...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do carpenter bees attack these things?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any wood kept reasonably dry will last virtually forever. Any spots where the roof fails the wood will rot quickly. Then the differences between species make big differences in the rate of rot.

I have no idea what your relative humidity range is, but if you are in Missouri, guessing from your linked supplier, you should be good with any of them if properly engineered and used.The wood exposed to weather needs to be protected, especially where two pieces of wood or other material join and might trap water. wood only rots in a fairly narrow moisture content range centered around 20% or so, which is pretty wet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sheister
If you want a wrapped post, don't call it Timberframe. I've always considered that the lazy man's way to get "exposed beams" which are nothing more than decoration and pretty easy to see exactly what they are.

If you want a true Timberframe entry, you can get it in any wood you want if you have the deep pockets for it, but Doug Fir has always been the preferred material cut FOHC (Free of Heart Center) and closely followed by Southern Yellow Pine, which closely follows Doug fir for dimensional strength and stability. I sold Timberframe homes for a while and erected several so I know a little bit about them....

Most Timberframe homes use an oil over the wood to seal it and reapply every few years to keep them sealed. One I remember being most popular was Deck Pro Oil and you can just spray it on with a garden sprayer if you like. Keep in mind no matter what you use, unless you get RF Dried Timbers you are probably going to get some checking over time. This is usually not a problem and is considered normal to the aging process. If it is a true Timberframe with mortise and tenon joints and dowels, the frame itself will remain strong and stable for longer than you will be alive.. To keep the checking to a minimum, try to get your frame cut and installed during low humidity swing times of year. Winter or early Spring are best... Also, be sure to contract with a company that sources their logs from very large old growth Doug fir. These will tend to check and twist much less but very few mills these days are set up to cut large logs any more.

Do some research and check out Timberframe companies before committing to a frame of any type would be my best recommendation...

Good points... but is there still a source for FOHC? That would take about a 30" log minimum and be inefficient. I bet that would be pricey!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

It's been my experience that raw butt / sawed ends are prone to 'wick' water and start to rot well before planed surfaces if not sealed well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Good points... but is there still a source for FOHC? That would take about a 30" log minimum and be inefficient. I bet that would be pricey!

Yes, there is at least one mill here in Oregon that still cuts old growth logs, but most of the big timber these days comes out of Canada in the Crown Forests. Large FOHC wood is still available any time you want it as long as you're willing to pay for it...

Bob

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Doug fur.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Yes, there is at least one mill here in Oregon that still cuts old growth logs, but most of the big timber these days comes out of Canada in the Crown Forests. Large FOHC wood is still available any time you want it as long as you're willing to pay for it...

Bob
Originally Posted by joken2

It's been my experience that raw butt / sawed ends are prone to 'wick' water and start to rot well before planed surfaces if not sealed well.

That is why saw logs are kept in water if they aren't going to be cut immediately, and the ends are sealed with paint or some other type of sealer at the mill so the log will dry slower and cut down on the checking and also to keep them sealed on the ends while being stored. Sealing the open end grain after installation of weather exposed wood is critical to it's longevity, but that isn't news to anyone who works with this stuff...

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Pretty, but high maintenance.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

We did a timber framed roof over our slider this year. Douglas fir. Had to wait a couple months for the timbers but very happy with it.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 51 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,550
Posts18,453,577
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.