As of today there is still $20/box factory ammo for sale online for the 9.3

Plain Jane 35w Corelok is listed at $56/bx but I don’t know if you can find it

Last edited by MtnT; 01/20/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
About the only real advantage of the 9.3x62 is that it's the legal minimum for larger dangerous game in some (not all) African jurisdictions. Also, if you hunt in Africa, factory 9,3x62 ammo is fairly likely to be stocked in local stores, and .35 Whelen isn't--just in case you get separated from your handloads.

Have also generally found the 9.3x62 to be more accurate, but not enough to make any difference on big game shot at typical .35/9,3 ranges.

My experience is what Steve suggests, that if you need more power and bullet weight than the .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 provide (or think you do), then you need to step up to a .40+ caliber cartridge with quite a bit more bullet weight. The one I used for years was the .416 Rigby. But after buying and using my first 9.3x62 almost 20 years ago, it filled the "medium bore" slot so well that I rarely hunted with my .338 Winchester or .375 H&H.

I have to agree with John here as my 9.3 x 62 has replaced all my mediums, including .338s, .35s and .375s. Where I want or need more it's my .458 Win. with handloads.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MtnT
As of today there is still $20/box factory ammo for sale online for the 9.3

Plain Jane 35w Corelok is listed at $56/bx but I don’t know if you can find it

Where?

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LGS had a box of 35 Whelen 250 gr corelokts for $29 today. Scooped it up quick

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I never had either one but I heard that the head diameter of the 9.3 is slightly different. Might be harder to make brass if you ever have to do that.

Personally I prefer the .375 H&H to either one because it's legal for DG everywhere in Africa.

When Col. Whelan thought up the .35 Whelan, I wonder why he didn't make it a .375-06. The shoulder would be adequate for headspacing.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have both, taken both to Africa, shot and killed animals with both. Both killed everything they were aimed at. They were and are equal in every perceivable aspect, from recoil to drop to penetration. They are both my favorite rifle. But so are all of my others......except one.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lots of great info folks, appreciate all. No doubt no 'need' for NA, but.......how many of us Loonies needed a good reason to experiment and enjoy a nice round? smile

Btw Jeff - curious what the configs are on those 338/06s you built.

I suppose the Whelen ammo may be more in demand and higher priced, as some states like mine use them for 'Primitive' season.....just a guess.

Thanks everyone, very good insight and field knowledge, always enjoy that in addition to paper stats alone.

Last edited by 65BR; 01/21/21.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
Lots of great info folks, appreciate all. No doubt no 'need' for NA, but.......how many of us Loonies needed a good reason to experiment and enjoy a nice round? smile

Btw Jeff - curious what the configs are on those 338/06s you built.

I suppose the Whelen ammo may be more in demand and higher priced, as some states like mine use them for 'Primitive' season.....just a guess.

Thanks everyone, very good insight and field knowledge, always enjoy that in addition to paper stats alone.

The 9.3 will also qualify for primitive weapon season, since the law says 35 caliber or larger

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The story about .35 Whelen lacking enough shoulder to headspace correctly is an old wives tale the just won't die, it's pure BS !

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not quite pure BS! I did have a box of Remington factory loaded ammo, with old style 250 gr. RN bullets that had so little shoulder and the shoulder was placed so far back that about half of cartridges in the box failed to fire in my Remington M700 .35 Whelen factory chamber. I didn't have a headspace gauge at the time but you could compare ammo form different lots and see the problem just by "eye". Simply a lack of quality control by Remington. I have never had a failure to fire or headspace issues with any other ammunition or reloads or chambers in three other .35 Whelen rifles. The shoulder dimensions / chamber design provides adequate positive headspace, if tolerances are within specifications.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I’ve never had ANY .35 Whelen misfires with tons of Remington and Federal factory ammo or my handloads. That is from a sample of several thousand dating to 1989. I do not doubt that Remington QC could be a culprit in excessive headspace. All the Remington ammo that I have fired was purchased around 1990 or so. None since Federal loaded the TBBC. HAPPY TRAILS

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
I’ve never had ANY .35 Whelen misfires with tons of Remington and Federal factory ammo or my handloads. That is from a sample of several thousand dating to 1989. I do not doubt that Remington QC could be a culprit in excessive headspace. All the Remington ammo that I have fired was purchased around 1990 or so. None since Federal loaded the TBBC. HAPPY TRAILS

BINGO. I waited a long time for my 700 Classic (this is before I knew better about what POS 700 actions are) and when I got it, the bolt lug slots had been over cut so the bolt would over rotate and not pull back. That's the last time I owned a Remington although we do have one up at our place in PA (a 22-250 bull barrel) for ground hog work. I loved my 35 Wheelen Ruger although I did replace that hideous boat paddle.. smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seriously, is practicality really a consideration here? Professionals have staked their lives on both rounds. The 9.3 has a distinctly African panache with a hint of Scandinavia ... the Whelan is just as wonderfully steeped in the North American west. Get both, clearly.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by castnblast
Not quite pure BS! I did have a box of Remington factory loaded ammo, with old style 250 gr. RN bullets that had so little shoulder and the shoulder was placed so far back that about half of cartridges in the box failed to fire in my Remington M700 .35 Whelen factory chamber. I didn't have a headspace gauge at the time but you could compare ammo form different lots and see the problem just by "eye". Simply a lack of quality control by Remington. I have never had a failure to fire or headspace issues with any other ammunition or reloads or chambers in three other .35 Whelen rifles. The shoulder dimensions / chamber design provides adequate positive headspace, if tolerances are within specifications.

Interesting. I headspaced my Whelen barrel myself, so I knew exactly what the measurement was, and how much "tolerance" I had put into it. I gave it some generous tolerance, actually. And I bought two brands of brass, Hornady and Remington. What I found strange what that even with the generous tolerance, empty Remington brass from the lot I bought has a crush fit in the chamber. Not so with the Hornady. Seems like Remington's specs on their brass/ammo are lack-luster in the 35 Whelen.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff - JWP - no doubt it's too bad in LA the Regs are it must have a hammer, not sure of any 9.3 with a hammer.

Never got clarification if a TC Encore would quality, probably would need a custom barrel, but there's always the 450s....for a primitive season set up where often it's in timber.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff - JWP - no doubt it's too bad in LA the Regs are it must have a hammer, not sure of any 9.3 with a hammer.

Never got clarification if a TC Encore would quality, probably would need a custom barrel, but there's always the 450s....for a primitive season set up where often it's in timber.

The Encore definitely qualify as long as it is 35 caliber or larger

I bought an 1885 High Wall in 30-06 and had it rebored to 35 Whelen

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by WAM

BINGO. I waited a long time for my 700 Classic (this is before I knew better about what POS 700 actions are) and when I got it, the bolt lug slots had been over cut so the bolt would over rotate and not pull back. That's the last time I owned a Remington although we do have one up at our place in PA (a 22-250 bull barrel) for ground hog work. I loved my 35 Wheelen Ruger although I did replace that hideous boat paddle.. smile

My 1988 700 Classic has no such problem or any of the other POS issues discussed here and elsewhere. Nor does my 1966 700 ADL .308W. Both obviously escaped the hands of the incompetent crew and less than observant QC. From what I have seen in recent years, I’d not buy a new Remington rifle. If I run across a Weatherby Mark V 9-lug .30-06 or .270, it’s off to rebore or rebarrel to .35 Whelen. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnT
I didn’t read this thread very closely before I posted

Seems I duplicated many other comments LOL

Welcome to the 24hourcampfire.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

612 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,249
Posts18,448,070
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.