Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
in some kind of organized discipline (IDPA, USPSA, Bullseye, Handgun Silhouette, SASS etc) regularly? Just kind of wondering, who shoots what and how often...

Mathew 22: 37-39

BP-B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Shoot in a bullseye league in the winter and bowling pin shoots twice a month in the summer. Before I moved here shot rimfire silhouette every month for a number of years. They are all fun and help keep your skills up.
Have never done any of the run and gun sports because... well, I don’t run very well anymore. 😁

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shoot run and gun events. Similar to a biathlon, you carry your rifle, pistol, ammo and water and shoot events along a 5k, 10k, or 15k trail course. Running time is typically half your score. There's no 300lb recoil-proof behemoths and $4000 pistols in this event. Money can't buy you win. Your gear and body is tested in rain, mud, snow, wind, heat and cold. There's not even divisions, except for the rare male/female. No age groups, no classes. It's pretty much anything goes, but you have to carry it, including water. You run out of ammo, you lose.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That sounds pretty cool 10mm. And humbling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CWH2, that sounds exactly like your kind of fun

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I used to shoot IPSC twice a week, and NRA Action shooting another night, so I was shooting 3 times a week, and did so for nearly 20 years. Burnt myself out. Met a lot of nice and good people along the way, and had a lot of fun, but eventually, I just burned out. I wore out a lot of good equipment along the way, too.

Sure was fun, though. I made it to low "A" or high "B" class, most of the time. It finally got to my hands and wrists and the rheumatologist told me to quit. That's why I shoot so much rimfire now, I can still shoot, but it's easier on my hands.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I shoot run and gun events. Similar to a biathlon, you carry your rifle, pistol, ammo and water and shoot events along a 5k, 10k, or 15k trail course. Running time is typically half your score. There's no 300lb recoil-proof behemoths and $4000 pistols in this event. Money can't buy you win. Your gear and body is tested in rain, mud, snow, wind, heat and cold. There's not even divisions, except for the rare male/female. No age groups, no classes. It's pretty much anything goes, but you have to carry it, including water. You run out of ammo, you lose.

That sounds like something I could go for. I've never seen anything like that anywhere around where I've been.

C
cra1948 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
Reason I started this thread, I was just getting my stuff together for tomorrow's IDPA match and I got curious. I've been on here for just over 14 years, but only see incidental mention of what anybody does...thought it might be interesting to find out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never, not ever.
Went to a couple Turkey shoots.

There is a pistol league a few miles away,
I should try it.

But it's probably boring as crap.
I really don't enjoy waiting,
on anything.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot a .22 pistol bullseye league in the spring and fall. I was shooting an Action Pistol league every other Friday night in the winter with my Glock 19, but ammo is so scarce/expensive I had to put that on the back burner.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
CWH2, that sounds exactly like your kind of fun

LMAO. It do.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I normally shoot USPSA and Steel Challenge.

Some 3 gun but not competitively. Just for practice. Same for Sporting Clays.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my neighbors to start making the local USPSA match a regular thing.

It's been fun, and got a couple of the guys to realize that they were neither as "good" nor as "fast" as they thought.

I used to shoot high power, but life got in the way.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not me. Too much drama when more than 2 people are together, and I an not a competitive person anyhow.

I much prefer to do my own thing and not have to deal with range officers, bad gun handling or people in general. I deal with people enough at work.

J
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
J
Am the same way, but stuck at a club range, though am listed as a Range Nazi myself.

Remember why, specifically, the Bill of Rights was written...remember its purpose.
It was written to limit the power of government over the individual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Not me. Too much drama when more than 2 people are together, and I an not a competitive person anyhow.

I much prefer to do my own thing and not have to deal with range officers, bad gun handling or people in general. I deal with people enough at work.

Wise man.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

AND you don't have to worry about other people seeing how you shoot!

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've shot in five or six matches of various kinds in the last forty years.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use to shoot CMP matches until I got too old and gimped up to get into positions. I shot bulls eye when younger and then Action pistol. Then took a crack at cowboy matches but SASS decided to have too many rules. Now I only go to the range myself and shoot handguns and various rifles for the fun of it.

There is a Competitive Shooting forum on here.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/17/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Shot IPSC for 20 years, then moved to ICORE, which is all revolver action shooting, competed with that until 1996, then just stopped competitive shooting. Last year jumped back in for grins, just had the urge to shoot again, and got into Steel Challenge shooting. Shot in the original World Championships back in 84 and 85. For an old guy it's a great format, not running, jumping, or shooting 30+ shot Strings. Simple stand up draw and shoot five different stages, all with five targets, five times each as fast as you can. Been good to get back into competitive shooting again. I'm usually the only revolver shooter, most all the young guys are auto shooters. I manage to always place in the top five among handgun shooters, so it makes me grin to get good feed back and heckling from the young guys about an old fart shooting a dinosaur six shot revolver and beating them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (12308300, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.