Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Is the footprint the same for pre64 model 70 and a post 64 long action?

Have a pre64 featherweight and may shop for an aftermarket stock

Thanks

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Unfortunately, no.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Action bolt spacing is not the same, have read that it can be made to fit, but the results are not aesthetically pleasing.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
For pre-64, I suggest the Echols Legend stock obtained through D'Arcy Echols of Northern Utah. He has McMillan make it to his specs. It's a wonderful stock. Mine holds a 1952 Pre 64 action in 9.3x62.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by GSSP
For pre-64, I suggest the Echols Legend stock obtained through D'Arcy Echols of Northern Utah. He has McMillan make it to his specs. It's a wonderful stock. Mine holds a 1952 Pre 64 action in 9.3x62.

I like your rifle. How much does it weigh?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Tag.

I have a 1956 30-06 that I’d like to restock eventually. I was considering having it rebored to .35 Whelen but a new stock is a higher priority. Considering the times we live in I think 30-06 is a more practical rifle considering the availability of ammunition for the’06 versus the Whelen. Once it’s setup and when things calm down then I’ll play around with my “wants” instead of being practical.

I’d like to lighten it without going too crazy and a light stock is the biggest piece of the puzzle. There’s only so light one can go with a pre-64 model 70 so I ain’t gonna tilt at windmills.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Ive always loved that rifle, but on a fwt, id lean more towards a hunters compact in either standard or edge fill. That or if you have the coin, a Brown poundR. That would help to keep the fwt a little lighter. However, if the op had a standard weight or magnum the echols legend, as you suggest, would be an excellent choice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On P64 Featherweights I’m a pretty big fan of the Hunters EDGE. Pretty light stock as far as McMillans go. I believe this one was around 22-23 ounces.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 01/16/21.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Brown Precision on one

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Just checked Echols, not for this trailer trash hillbilly. 530 bucks for the base model...walnut is lookin better by the minute.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I have had about a dozen McM stocks on P64's in last 30 years, including multiples of G&H style(now discontinued), Super Grades (works best on magnum and std wgt guns), Fwt style on fwt guns, and still have 2 Hunters Edge on fwt guns and it works great.

Something you should be aware of...Edge/Compact is designed for post 64, when on Pre 64 the rear of the trigger guard will stand "proud" by about 1/8 inch and you either have to recontour it or live with a sharp edge.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by model70man

I like your rifle. How much does it weigh?

Just took this pic.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by murkydismal
I have had about a dozen McM stocks on P64's in last 30 years, including multiples of G&H style(now discontinued), Super Grades (works best on magnum and std wgt guns), Fwt style on fwt guns, and still have 2 Hunters Edge on fwt guns and it works great.

Something you should be aware of...Edge/Compact is designed for post 64, when on Pre 64 the rear of the trigger guard will stand "proud" by about 1/8 inch and you either have to recontour it or live with a sharp edge.

Its extremely easy to deepen the inletting. BTDT

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My 1957 model 70 cracked when I shot a nice mule deer buck this past November. I am a stickler for wood stocks on my pre 64’s so I contacted pre64win.com and found another stock that was correct for my 1957.

That being said, that Echols stock looks sweet.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Any opinions on the new Bansner & Company Stocks?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
FWIW, if you "deepen" the inletting the entire trigger guard will be below stock level and the front of the trigger guard will bind on the magazine cutout, unless you only deepen the rear and which the trigger guard will then be at an angle, do you really want that?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by woods_walker

Also curious if anyone has handled the new ones. Are they available for P-64 Fwt contour? Are they finished stocks now?

FWIW, if you "deepen" the inletting the entire trigger guard will be below stock level and the front of the trigger guard will bind on the magazine cutout, unless you only deepen the rear and which the trigger guard will then be at an angle, do you really want that?

Agree. If going the Micky route either modify the trigger guard (or better yet a donor), or go the Monte Carlo route. I’ve heard that pattern doesn’t require trigger guard modifying.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I “live” with them being a little proud myself.

They still shoot well it’s a minor deal in my book.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by woods_walker

Haven't tried one on a Model 70, but recently installed one on a long-action 700 ADL, replacing a "bedded" factory ADL stock. The inletting required far less epoxy to finish up, and apparently they're now offering different barrel channel sizes. My specs were for a # 2 Douglas, and the channel was close enough that I didn't bother adding any bedding. In fact, the only epoxy bedding used was on the front end of the receiver, behind the recoil lug. The first 3-shot group at 100 with the rifle's most accurate load had the holes touching.

With a 1" Decelerator the stock weighed 24.ounces.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good information... Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 257 mag, 73 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.