24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I have a 1953 12 guage and was wondering if you knew anyone on the west coast that could do the linseed oil treatment to my stock and forgrip ..maybe reblue the metal ..yours is beautiful would love for mine to be better than new like this .

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Uncle Jack had a 20 gauge M12 from back in the 30's probably, but didn't hunt it much, so it was still in nice shape. It's mine now, but it too went through quite a transformation. First off that original thirty something full choke barrel was too long and over choked. It got cut and a Simons vent rib added. An over size safety was an improvement and the barrel thread needed to be tightened up. Re finished stock and hot blued. The reverse choke in the barrel didn't do anything and that was before the days of screw in chokes, so a vented Poly Choke went on it. I know, blasphemy like mud flaps on a Corvette, but the thing flat out works. I've thought about a nice O/U 3" 20 gauge for the uplands, but that M12 20 gauge points like an index finger, weighs near nothing and isn't getting replaced.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I realize this is an old thread. My input: I shot my first bird on the wing with my father's full choked M12 field gun mfg'd in '28. I spent much of my youth shotgunning with this shotgun and I have many happy memories afield with it. When steel shot was mandated for waterfowl, this shotgun rode the gun cabinet until I decided to have it converted to a trap gun, where I would once again shoot it. The field stock was replaced, a vent rib added and it was polished and re-blued. Every time I take it to the trap range, those memories come flooding back and I take great pleasure and pride in shooting it. Old trap shooters have looked at with nostalgia and relive their own memories of getting started with a Model 12. I also recently had my Krieghoff KX-5 trap gun's barrel re-blued when somehow the previous owner somehow damaged the bluing on the rib.

I just don't see how some feel that lovingly restoring an old shotgun somehow erases the memories one made with it. That certainly isn't the case with me. Rather than watch it further decay, restoring it to it's former glory is to me a sign of respect for it. People have many of their other possessions restored: furniture, cars, artwork, musical instruments etc. Why are guns somehow thought to somehow be diminished when restored? Many gun owners have a fit if their gun comes from the factory with a ding, dimple or minor mark, yet would seemingly prefer a used gun with dings, scratches, worn bluing and blemishes over one that's been restored to near new condition. I don't understand that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Very nice '57 M12 restoration.

By coincidence I have a recently taken-off factory 29.75 inch barrel (F) from a '57, very good condition. If anybody needs one, PM me....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 90 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.