Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I have my rifle set up with a 3X9-40 scope and recently switched my scope to a Rapid Reticle 3X9-44 RR600 scope that happens to make contact with the barrel. My question is will this affect accuracy and barrel harmonics and should I switch rings before I shoot this combination?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you don't clear the barrel, every miss will be blamed on the setup. If ya gotta ask, you know better smile

Wayne

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Having the scope touch probably means it is bearing against the barrel (pun not intended) this is put a lot of stress on your scope and won't do any good things for accuracy. May or may not cause problems with the rifle touching that close to the receiver,but certainly won't help any. I have set the barreled action in the Kurt vise and milled a little relief cut into the barrel with a 1" end mill. This allows me to mount the scope lower than switching rings when it is barely too low. If you take your time and make good cuts with a sharp mill, the finish will look fine- especially if it is stainless.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
peep'06,
I concur if the scope is touching the barrel there is no way to check if the scope is centered in the rings, even after the rings are tight.
Good Shooting!
Marcus.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is this a serious question?

I'll just say you should change your rings to something higher or get a new scope...

Last edited by Gmoney; 07/24/07.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good way to break a scope. Use higher rings.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is this really a serious question? Heck yes---take it off now!!!!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
Good way to break a scope. Use higher rings.

Thinkin the same

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Thanks guys, I knew that was the answer, I just wanted someone to tell me that. Again, thanks to all.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You may need to put some shims under your front mount, you can make them out of cans if you can't find brass ones.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Was watching some high-tech show recently that featured a new sniper rifle. What amazed me was the extreme slow-mo sequence of a shot. The bell of the scope flexed down and absolutely BANGED off of the barrel in recoil.

I'd bet that even lower-recoiling rifles have much the same effect. If so, a scope that touches (or dang near touches) might undergo some serious impacts due to recoil. Can't be doing either the objective lens mounts or seals any good.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Y
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Y
get the shims, and i'd shim both front and back bases and if that dident work, higher rings, and if that puts ur scope to high for the stock you have, a new scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can you just slip it forward to clear the barrel contour and still maintain your sight picture?

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I had a 50mm bell that was a notebook paper or two thickness from the barrel, I thought this was enough. You could see light and I was told this was good. This scope made a trip back to the factory after a while..... The rifle had a good set of Leupold rings yet they found a way to actually gouge the barrel of the scope in this set up but only in the front ring and only at the bottom. I continued my physics education with this rifle....steel expands when hot.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Some tinkering was done with this awhile back (like eons ago) and RockyRaab hit it on the nose. Leupold used to have a pamphlet for the gun shops on do's and don't's when mounting their scopes. They said at least three millimeters between barrel and scope to make certain there was no contact during recoil. When I saw that pamphlet it had to be at least 10 years old.
I would assume that this would be aggravated by the amount of tube that is hanging out between the front ring and the bell, as well as the size of the bell (momentum and all that scientific fiddle faddle).

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are many rifles that would have poor ergonomics if a higher scope ring were to be used. In that case I prefer to remove some metal from the barrel. While it takes more time you can use a hand file or a dremel if you don't have access to a milling machine. Then finish by sanding and if blued, some cold blue. If executed properly it will not be easily seen.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Azshooter: You cut off your toes when your shoes are too small? Incredible.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A gunsmith I know had a long, heavy scope mounted on a hard kicker, per a customer's request. There was a lot of scope hanging out over the front ring, but there was also almost .25 inch of clearance. Guess what? The objective of the scope banged the barrel enough to knock the Teflon finish off in a few shots.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you want to know, if and how your "cleared" scope hits the barrel, just put two sheets of paper, with two reversed sheets of "inner layer" carbon paper, inbetween scope objective bell and barrel.
After shooting you may see the marks on the white paper sheets.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
well, straydog got it right the easieat way! brownells sells munt shims, but remember to shim BOTH mounts!

Hey, years ago, I worked for a sho and a guy would come in, buy a scope, and bring it back 2 days later broken. we finally got him to bring in the rifle. he was putting cheapo scopes on a 7mag bull barrel with low rings and they were tounching the barrel.

'Nuff said?

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

242 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,702 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.