Print Thread
Hop To
M
moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
There are a number of reproduction Colt Woodsman Match Target Grips available made in both Europe and the US.
Some are easy to spot as reproductions either without medallions or laser engraved instead of hand checkering.
Reputably NC Ordnance makes a very good reproduction which is stamped with their initials on the interior.

I inherited a Colt Woodman Match Target with elephant ear grips from my grandfather. The grips were damaged long ago when “borrowed” by my cousins (one of the reasons for my receiving his bequest) which my grandfather repaired. I would like to find original Colt elephant ear grips for display and keep the original grips, box, manual and target stored safely.

Besides the above mentioned reproductions available there is presently for sale on EBAY for an even greater premium price purported originals (8 available for purchase)
As I have been entrusted with this family heirloom the premium price, although a stretch, is within reach.
However, how do I spot if these are actually originals? A money back guarantee is promised if not happy for any reason and he has glowing star rating. He has numerous other collector Colt and firearm accessories for sale as well.
Are the medallions or a Colt stamp apparent to identify originals upon examination?
Thanks
moose

Attached Images
Last edited by moose95; 01/10/21.

There is room for all of gods creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think that is the 'fake box guy'. The guys on the colt forum can walk you thru how to spot the fakes....

M
moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I think that is the 'fake box guy'. The guys on the colt forum can walk you thru how to spot the fakes....

Huntsman - thank you for the heads up his shenanigans are well known over on the Colt forum.
Replacement original elephant ear grips might be the holy grail, but it is still a joy to shoot and brings back memories.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a set of the WWII plastic extended target grips that the gov't spec'ed from Colt. While not elephant ear grips, they do work a treat on Series I Woodsmans. They're collectable and a bit pricey in their own right but turn up with a fair degree of frequency.

I have small-ish hands and actually rather like the standard grips on Series I's.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 01/15/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
You guys seen the Plinkster 22 vid where he bought a box of Colts?

Woodsman fans might like it. You to Huntsman.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
link?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Dang, ya want me to drive it to Colorado. & load it in your Beta for ya? grin

Hope the OP doesn't mind

[video:yahoo]https://youtu.be/PE1U61Bwvwk[/video]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, gunz.... that plinkster guy is a man after my own heart. I'd give my left nut for that bullseye model. I actually bought 4 more this fall. 3 are the same models he bought. A 3rd Sport, 3rd 4" MT, 2nd 4" MT. But instead of lucking into a Bullseye, I grabbed a cheap re-blued 2nd Sport. Maybe someday that 1st series MT Bullseye will find me...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

M
moose95 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Gunz,

Thanks for posting that awesome video!
Now if I could just figure out how to copy it on my Beta I would be set😂

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Make him drive to your place, like he did me....

IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I usually enjoy his video's, an awesome shot. In a class with some of the best IMO.

Speaking of a Beta Max, I shouldn't even be allowed to own one of those. Tried to link an American Rifleman story I thought y'all might like but I couldn't do it. by Joe Coogan.

"American Rifleman/A very special Colt Woodsman" it's about Harry Selby's pistol.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by gunzo
I usually enjoy his video's, an awesome shot. In a class with some of the best IMO.

Speaking of a Beta Max, I shouldn't even be allowed to own one of those. Tried to link an American Rifleman story I thought y'all might like but I couldn't do it. by Joe Coogan.

"American Rifleman/A very special Colt Woodsman" it's about Harry Selby's pistol.

That is a good story. Worth reading for sure.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
thanks, ww.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.