Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Love seeing the old stuff. Wish I had been able to get some of my grandpas things when he passed. That would be treasure to me to never be sold, but passed on to my son.

GB1

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Old voltage tester for my 2x great grandpas Stevens Duryea.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The meter in the photo is an ammeter not a voltmeter. If you put it across a set of battery terminals or household A.C. receptacle with no resistance in the circuit, you'll peg the [bleep] out of it and burn it up.

The max it can handle at full scale looks to be only 30 amps. I'd hate to see you ruin it.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
You wouldn't believe how much of that ammo I shot as a kid in the late '70s. Stuff my Grandpa had lying around.

Should have saved them carefully.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Excellent thread.

Thank you.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I've got a Gladstone Marbles Ideal (circa 1939 blade) like your granddad's, too. Mine's stag on stag.
[Linked Image]

The USAF survival knife, made by Camillus, is based on the Marbles Ideal, by the way.

I've got one of those, as well.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PSE
Old voltage tester for my 2x great grandpas Stevens Duryea.

The meter in the photo is an ammeter not a voltmeter. If you put it across a set of battery terminals or household A.C. receptacle with no resistance in the circuit, you'll peg the [bleep] out of it and burn it up.

The max it can handle at full scale looks to be only 30 amps. I'd hate to see you ruin it.

Needs a new wire. Wouldn't use it even if it had a good wire.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Too cool. Major collector value there.
lolol You wouldn't believe how much of that ammo I shot as a kid in the late '70s. Stuff my Grandpa had lying around.

Yes I would me too

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by byron
Love seeing the old stuff. Wish I had been able to get some of my grandpas things when he passed. That would be treasure to me to never be sold, but passed on to my son.

Luckily most of this stuff is my great grandpas, 2x great grandpas and the surveyors compass was my 3x great grandpas.

We are a small family now as my grandfather was an only child and my great grandpa outlived his brothers.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winter project.

Battery first to make sure it pops off then clutch for sure as well as coolant, oil change and probably redo all brake lines/linings and maybe swith to a dual reservoir master cylinder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool finds

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
10gauge,

Those are some very NICE things! Thank you for sharing them with us.

I made some discoveries about my family this past summer. Most of it creeps the Hell out of me.

It gets pretty involved but it most of it revolves around my great uncles and murder, dismemberment and the first electric chair in Virginia. Oh yeah, it also includes the marriage of a 78 y/o man to a 22 y/o girl.

Just your typical family album stuff.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That compass blows me away! Outstanding; thanks for sharing!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
We need more threads like this on the Campfire! Thank you for sharing some incredible family heirlooms. Would appreciate it if you or another member could educate me regarding the railroad nails?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Great Great Grandparents on my Dad's side were early settlers to Colorado and Kansas. In fact the town of Bennett, just east of Denver was named after my G G Grandfather, Hiram, who later became the first Territorial representative to Congress from Colorado, and served two terms there in the 1860s.

When our parents passed, my Sister and I inherited a lot of stuff from 4 generations of our family. My family have always been interested in the history of the West and the Indians here. My Sister and I now have over 50 Indian blankets, dozens of Indian pots of all sizes, and numerous beaded items. Here are a couple of items that I kept and have on display in my house.

These moccasins were given to my G G Grandfather Hiram in 1859 by the Ute Indian Chief Ouray. Hiram knew Ouray and one time when Hiram and his wife were camped outside of Denver, Ouray visited them. They gave Ouray a tin of biscuits, and Ouray took off his moccasins and gave them to my G G Grandparents. I put them in a frame and it is one of the family heirlooms that I proudly display in my house.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another item that I proudly have displayed at home is this picture of Hiram and Kit Carson that was taken in 1868 when they were working on the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado. Kit Carson is sitting on the left and my G G Grandfather, Hiram, is sitting on the right. All four of the men signed the edge of the picture.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool stuff buffybr. I get groceries in Bennett.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sometimes it's odd what gets passed down and what doesn't. I didn't get much from either set of Grandparents, other than Grandpa's Uncle's Marlin 94 25-20. I did inherit from my mother who got it from her Aunt a meal grinder that was supposedly Geronimo's. The wife of one of the deputies in the group who took him captive near Lawton,Okla, gave it to Mom's Aunt after her husband died, along with an affidavit of it's authenticity. He took it from Geronimo's camp, but of course we don't know for sure it was Geronimo's. Still, a neat piece of history.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
10Gauge!!!

Remember to give me a holler when you find that case of Thompsons! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I
Originally Posted by buffybr
My Great Great Grandparents on my Dad's side were early settlers to Colorado and Kansas. In fact the town of Bennett, just east of Denver was named after my G G Grandfather, Hiram, who later became the first Territorial representative to Congress from Colorado, and served two terms there in the 1860s.

When our parents passed, my Sister and I inherited a lot of stuff from 4 generations of our family. My family have always been interested in the history of the West and the Indians here. My Sister and I now have over 50 Indian blankets, dozens of Indian pots of all sizes, and numerous beaded items. Here are a couple of items that I kept and have on display in my house.

These moccasins were given to my G G Grandfather Hiram in 1859 by the Ute Indian Chief Ouray. Hiram knew Ouray and one time when Hiram and his wife were camped outside of Denver, Ouray visited them. They gave Ouray a tin of biscuits, and Ouray took off his moccasins and gave them to my G G Grandparents. I put them in a frame and it is one of the family heirlooms that I proudly display in my house.

Another item that I proudly have displayed at home is this picture of Hiram and Kit Carson that was taken in 1868 when they were working on the treaty with the Ute Indians in western Colorado. Kit Carson is sitting on the left and my G G Grandfather, Hiram, is sitting on the right. All four of the men signed the edge of the picture.

Damn!! Now that is awesome buffybr! Wasn't that the last photo taken of Carson before his death?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great stuff. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is fascinating. If this web site had one of those "LIKE" buttons I would hit it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 35 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,631
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.