Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
DONT EVER TRY THIS AT HOME....or anywhere else for that matter !
Read the first line. If any questions, read the first line again.
Hopefully thats enough disclaimer.

We all know that large magnum rifle primers are “hotter” than a small pistol primer. Particularly a WLRM compared to a Rem 5 1/2.
Todays test used a 308 I have built for myself. Rem 700 action, Lilja barrel.
First string: Starline brass, Rem 5 1/2 primer, 34 grains H4198, 168 MK. Average speed for four five shot groups was 2403 fps. This load is in the Hodgdon book.
Second string: Hornady brass, WLRM, 34 grains H4198, 168 MK. Average speed for four five shot groups was 2394 fps.
Slower with a magnum rifle primer than a small standard pistol primer.
Both loads shot well, neither being better. If I had shot both strings at the same target, group would have been less that 1.25 inch.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Running the same test with H4895 in a few minutes.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Silly question, doesn't the rifle's firing pin puncture the small pistol primer?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Interesting data. Do you have a way to measure pressure? I remember part of an Rick Jamison article on primers differences. He measured large differences in peak pressure between primer types and brands that otherwise showed small velocity differences. I think he attributed it to the varying brisance properties of the primers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aren't the 5 1/2's small pistol magnum primers?

The Remington 5 1/2 Small Mag Pistol Primers are made with a very closely controlled, specifically formulated chemical mixture to ensure that no matter the powder, ignition is always fast and consistent. The primers are made with a three legged design that gives the largest area for the flash and a bigger striking area for the firing pin. The 5 1/2 Small Mag Pistol Primers are designed and tested to function in extreme temperature ranges from -20°F to +150°F. Each 5 1/2 Small Mag Pistol Primer is produced to exacting tolerances with a deviation no larger than .0003 ounces. All 2 5 1/2 Small Mag Pistol Primers are visually inspected and undergo critical ballistic tests.

Summary

The Remington 5 1/2 Small Mag Pistol Primer is a premier tripod designed flash cup with a larger than standard striking area that ensures positive fast ignition of most all available powders with a weight consistency of .0003 ounces. All 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primers are tested in controlled scientific environments for ballistics performance and quality. The 5 1/2 Small Pistol Primer will perform from -20°F to +150°F to ensure no matter where you use them, they will perform at the top level.

Specifications and Features:

Designed To Perform From -20°F To +150°F
Weight Checked To .0003 Oz
100% Visually Inspected
Tripod Anvil Design Gives Large Flash And Larger Striking Area

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Charlie,
Did you see a significant difference in ES between the two primers/loads?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here is the new data:
Again, dont do this at home !
Starline brass Rem 5 1/2 primer, 42 grains H4895, 168 MK...four five shot groups. Average speed 2592 fps
Hornady brass, WLRM, 42 grains H4895, 168 MK....four five shot groups. Average speed 2597 fps.

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Phasmid
I can measure pressure but I didnt want to spend the time or the money today . grin
Charlie

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Aalf
The primers I have make no mention of being magnum. Nowhere. Neither on the case box or the individual boxes. I would speculate that if they were considered “magnum” then Remington would have noted that somewhere on the package. But who knows......we are talking about Remington.. grin
Charlie

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Alpinecrick
On the H4198, one was 12 SD and the other 11 SD but I dont remember which.
Charlie

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks for the information, Charlie. What was the ballpark ambient temperature where you were doing the shooting?

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Its about 36 degrees F here today .

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Elkhunterm
Not a one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Charlie_Sisk
Aalf
The primers I have make no mention of being magnum. Nowhere. Neither on the case box or the individual boxes. I would speculate that if they were considered “magnum” then Remington would have noted that somewhere on the package. But who knows......we are talking about Remington.. grin
Charlie

Funny, in my googling around, I found pictures showing boxes that don't show them as magnum, but the descriptions say they are.

Then I found this post on another site from 6/2020:

Figured I would make a post about these Remington 5 1/2 small pistol primers. I bought some a while back. I was loading some 9mm early last week and used some of the 5 1/2s I bought to test out. I didn't get to load them that day so they went in with other primed cases I had ready....pretty much all CCI SP. I usually keep around 600-700 9mm cases size and primed and ready for loading at any given time. So after I loaded up 200 rounds, I came across some Remington small pistol 1 1/2 primers in a store. So I wondered what the difference was. The general consensus online was the 5 1/2 primers are magnum. Well, they don't say magnum on the box. I do use SP magnum, and have plenty in CCI and Win...but use them in 357 Mag. So now I get aggravated as I'm thinking I'll gonna have to pull all those rounds apart to find those "magnum" primers somehow. I did go through all my primed cases, very time consuming. I'm pretty sure I found over half of them from what I could see through the flash hole, comlared to the color and appearance of the anvil of new primers in the box. Did some more online research, searched Remington's site, no additional info on the differences. Just says not to use the 1 1/2 primers in higher pressure rounds like 357 Mag, 357 Sig, 40 S&W. I found where others stated the 5 1/2 primers were not magnum, but just a thicker cup. So I ended up just calling Remington today myself. They told me they are NOT magnum primers, but just a thicker cup for higher pressures. Just standard small pistol, same amount and mix of priming compound used in the 1 1/2. A lot of people believe they are magnum, just wanted to put it out there that they are NOT per Remington.

Now if you want more confusion, JB says otherwise:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Elkhunterm
Not a one.

Thanks Charlie.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

We all know that large magnum rifle primers are “hotter” than a small pistol primer. Particularly a WLRM compared to a Rem 5 1/2.
First string: Starline brass, Rem 5 1/2 primer, 34 grains H4198, 168 MK. Average speed for four five shot groups was 2403 fps. This load is in the Hodgdon book.
Second string: Hornady brass, WLRM, 34 grains H4198, 168 MK. Average speed for four five shot groups was 2394 fps.
Both loads shot well, neither being better. If I had shot both strings at the same target, group would have been less that 1.25 inch.

Thanks for reporting the test, Charlie--partly because it fits into my experience that primer differences tend to matter most in either very small or very large cartridges, and especially not with extruded powders. Just one question: Did you weigh the two brands of brass?

Don't know if there's a more "medium" cartridge than the .308 with 165-168 grain bullets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

Any difference in case capacity between Starline and Hornady?

Thanks,

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Thanks for reporting the test, Charlie--partly because it fits into my experience that primer differences tend to matter most in either very small or very large cartridges, and especially not with extruded powders. Just one question: Did you weigh the two brands of brass?

Don't know if there's a more "medium" cartridge than the .308 with 165-168 grain bullets.

John
In the case of the large cartridges, was that with faster burning powders? If so, would that suggest faster burning powders are more sensitive to primer types and brands?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
aalf,

Don't see where Remington 5-1/2 primers were mentioned that link. Also, please not that "article" was put together from SOME of my info and a variety of other sources.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I didnt weigh any of that brass. I’ll try to remember next time.
Charlie

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
There is a lot information on primers out on the internet. I found these links below in one search. I don't know how rigorous the testing was. I just try to use what matches the reloading data I am following. I think it was "Scenar Shooter" that wrote that SR primers can have trouble with consistent ignition/accuracy in medium capacity cases in the extreme cold weather he hunts coyotes in. I also remember he was using the Russian primer brand with great success.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/

http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/04/ultimate-large-rifle-primer-shoot-out-16-types-tested/

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
In the handloads.com chart on primers, the 5 1/2 primers are listed as small pistol magnum primers. In a box of 5 1/2 primers I see no mention of "magnum". I am getting long in the tooth and can easily be befuddled. I had to print out that chart to cross reference etc. I took a picture of this chart and it is below
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I might add that Remington 6 1/2 primers are not designed to be used at some of the high pressures some cartridges are loaded to. They are good for 222 pressures though.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think we used to do something called a "T-Test" in an attempt to determine is a difference was real or simply "lost in the noise". I don't recall the math right now. One thing I think we needed was sample size.

I see you reference "Average speed for four five shot groups." Is that the average of 4 averages or the average of all 20 shots?

A rough rule I've used is ES about SD x 3. It doesn't always hold true but is usually pretty close. If that holds true here, you had ES of about 36 on one test and 33 on the other.

I've shot two tests of the same load in the same rifle and seen similar differences between the averages. Seeing 9 fps in the 2400 fps range and 5 fps in the 2600 fps range, gut reaction is "There is no difference".

Great data, Charlie. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If someone wants to supply the data, I would be happy to do the T Test and report back. That is the correct test for distinguishing real change from random noise.

Last edited by denton; 01/28/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
aalf,Don't see where Remington 5-1/2 primers were mentioned in that link. Also, please not that "article" was put together from SOME of my info and a variety of other sources.

Small Handgun Magnum .017" cup thickness

CCI 550 See Note 1 at the bottom of page
Federal 200
Federal 200M - Match version of above
Magtech PR-SPM
Remington 5 ½
RWS 4047
Winchester WSPM
Wolf/Tula Small Pistol Magnum SPM #KVB-9M - brass cup - "For Magnum Pistol loads"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
aalf,

I don't GAS about the notes at the bottom of the page.

My point was that NONE of the information in the post that was lifted (illegally, according to U.S. copyright law) from my article on primers mentions Remington 5-1/2 primers. In fact I don't recall ever using any 5-1/2s, and don't have any on hand..

The so-called article was a mish-mash of various Internet stuff. So no, your following statement is NOT true:

"Now if you want more confusion, JB says otherwise: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0"

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well excuse me all to hell, wasn't my intention to get you all butt hurt......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wasn't butt-hurt much, partly because you obviously didn't understand the situation. Which is why I pointed out what was going on. But was also not butt-hurt much because anybody who writes for a living will always get some flak.

But as a professional writer, I also do NOT like somebody attributing some statement to me that I never made. Which is exactly what you did.

Also did not like the website mixing my stuff up with that of other's--and as I pointed out, illegally. But this happens so frequently on the Internet that unless an author is willing spend money on a lawyer and court case, it's not worth it. Partly because websites that do that sort of stuff aren't making enough money to bother with anyway. And if somebody does go after them, they tend to fold up the tent and start another site.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
704 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 2,707 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.