Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15665554 01/16/21
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Once you get in to the higher quality stainless steels, is there a lot of difference.

The folders I am looking at come in;

154 CM

or for more money
CMP 30 SV

or for a lot more money
CMP 90 SV

I guess my question is, is there any real disadvantage to 154 CM ?

Is CMP 90 SV worth a hundred bucks more ?

This knife will see daily use for decades.
Everything from cutting cardboard to dressing big game.

MOLON LABE
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, 154CM (or the improved) CPM154 will be "tougher" but S30V will stay sharper longer. S30V will also be harder to sharpen but won't have to be resharpened as often. My take is that if you want a bigger blade, go with the 154 and smaller, lighter use, the S30V. I'm sure that you'll get many different opinions. Right now, I have a Spyderco Native 5 (2.9") in S30V, an older Benchmade Griptilian (3.45") in 154CM and a Bark River North Country EDC (fixed 3.5") in CPM154. I like them all.

Last edited by UPhiker; 01/16/21.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
If you go with 90 the edge retention is awesome but you will need a good system to get it sharp again. If I have to sharpen it I go with Matrix Diamond stones on my Edgepro.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The man on the street can’t tell the difference.

Sam......

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d 154. Had pretty much all of em, I’m over the newest “super steel” personally.

This Rick Menefee is the shizzle..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Anaconda
Once you get in to the higher quality stainless steels, is there a lot of difference.

The folders I am looking at come in;

154 CM

or for more money
CMP 30 SV

or for a lot more money
CMP 90 SV

I guess my question is, is there any real disadvantage to 154 CM ?

Is CMP 90 SV worth a hundred bucks more ?

This knife will see daily use for decades.
Everything from cutting cardboard to dressing big game.

First of all separated he word “Quality” from super steels or just remove “super steel” from the vernacular in general. They are just different steels with different properties that come with a whole $hit load of pluses and minuses, just like any other steel. The fantasy is a super hard steel that stays sharp and doesn’t break, but there isn’t one. Furthermore everyone’s heat treat on a specific steel is different and everyone’s heat treat has variation. So there is enough variation to cause a lot of confusion on what holds up better than what. For general use It’s harder to go wrong with a softer steel than the superindestructiblesteeloftheweek. Especially if you think you are going to get decades of daily use without chipping it out. We live in great times for buying knives, you can equip yourself with many pocket knives and different steels and see what you like and what holds up.

Last edited by smallfry; 01/17/21.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
M390

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
look up ar400 plate steel

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
154 or s30v. To me, 154cm is a good compromise between edge retention and ease of sharpening. cmp154 is one of my favorites. s30v holds the edge longer and is a little tougher to sharpen. This is assuming proper heat treat. I would save the $100. The key with all of them is to not let them get dull. Just keep them touched up. All will last a lifetime and are more than capable of what you are asking for

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

For the most part, I'm in this camp.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

For the most part, I'm in this camp.

Maybe sharpening, but not using...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you think an average Joe Hunter really puts any decent blade steel to anything close to a real test of the blades performance potential?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Do you think an average Joe Hunter really puts any decent blade steel to anything close to a real test of the blades performance potential?

Probably not, but most people don't get the most out of their guns, vehicles, computers, or anything else. Many (myself included) just like having "nice" or "good" stuff. What's funny, is with all my knives with "supersteels", the one that I carry and use the most is my Delica in VG-10.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Average Joe hunter abuses his blades, doesn’t know how to sharpen them, buys sharpener after sharpener, looks for new super steel, gets frustrated and buys new knife. Just an observation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Average Joe abuses an edge to dullness, just look at the used edge under magnification. A good edge lasts a lot longer for someone experienced with an edge. Cutting through dirt, banging the edge against bone, cutting through and running along a hard surface will dull any edge. A 1095 blade lasts me through an entire elk boning process in the field and it far easier to sharpen. Not saying 1095 is the best steel, just setting the low bar. An edge only needs to last as long as the job.

An average Joe can sharpen 1095. I struggle once hardness gets much over 60.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I’m no expert, but I do appreciate a blade that stays sharp.

The knifes I am considering are all
“Benchmade” folders.

I’ve carried a Benchmade for 27 years. ATS 34 was top of the line a few decades ago.
It took more abuse and stayed sharper longer than any other knife I’ve owned.

Nothing wrong with the old one, I just like some of the new designs.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anaconda
I’m no expert, but I do appreciate a blade that stays sharp.

The knifes I am considering are all
“Benchmade” folders.

I’ve carried a Benchmade for 27 years. ATS 34 was top of the line a few decades ago.
It took more abuse and stayed sharper longer than any other knife I’ve owned.

Nothing wrong with the old one, I just like some of the new designs.

In that case why not buy one with CPM 90 and then you'll have first hand experience whether or not the steel was worth the extra money?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There is always a trade off.
Holds edge-easy to sharpen
Absorbed abuse-doesn't flex
Etc.
Not just the material, but the heat applied, when and how quenched.....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hap40 is pretty awesome. D2 for a basic tool steel, well done is pretty hard to beat for value. Have benchmades, esee, and a lot of spydercos. not a fan of vg10

Beware of the man with one gun. He is a newbie
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

I know that this "Average Joe" does not.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

136 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 21 invisible), 1,788 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.