Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Any reason not to run Rotella T6 in a 4-wheeler or side-by-side since it meets the JASO requirements?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It's good stuff!

I've run the Rotella 15-40 for years. No oil related issues.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I used it in my 2 Yamaha Rhinos way back when

JASO...its fine

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
A mechanic told me that Polaris PS4 has an additive that prevents sticking in the oil pressure valve. If it sticks, it's a very expensive repair as the entire engine has to be torn down. Whether is BS I don't know. I do know that the valve sticking can be a problem as it happened to me. I was using Mobile 1.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I run it in my king quad 750. No problems

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Great stuff. I used it in all my motorcycles as well. Use it with confidence.

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes,food stamps, free section 8 housing, a forty oz malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordans and he'll vote Democrat for life.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I know it sure holds up big time in a car or 4 Runner's 2200 RE engine...

Its a pretty tough oil... I normally run Mobil 1 heavy duty stuff.... but trying it, I was impressed...

20K oil change analysis, came back that the oil still had a lot of life in it...

the TBN came back as 4...

used Mobil 1 filter, for the entire 20K...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Seafire
I know it sure holds up big time in a car or 4 Runner's 2200 RE engine...

Its a pretty tough oil... I normally run Mobil 1 heavy duty stuff.... but trying it, I was impressed...

20K oil change analysis, came back that the oil still had a lot of life in it...

the TBN came back as 4...

used Mobil 1 filter, for the entire 20K...

Mobile 1 filter vs Wix XP filter ?

what cha think ? 20K miles.......wow

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I run T6 5w40 in my Kioti tractor....6 qts...Wix XP filter

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

Rotella has a super reputation, but it may not be the right choice for an ATV.

Some ATV's require an additive for the clutches. I can't remember the spec, but it's there & not present in other oils. An old Honda dealer once told me he was out ATV oil so he wasn't giving me a sales pitch cause he couldn't sell me any if I wanted it.. But that I should use ATV specked oil. Didn't matter if it was Kawasaki, Suzuki or whatever, just use an ATV specked oil.

I do.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo

Some ATV's require an additive for the clutches. I can't remember the spec, but it's there & not present in other oils. An old Honda dealer once told me he was out ATV oil so he wasn't giving me a sales pitch cause he couldn't sell me any if I wanted it.. But that I should use ATV specked oil. Didn't matter if it was Kawasaki, Suzuki or whatever, just use an ATV specked oil.

I do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the spec you're speaking of is JASO and Rotella T6 meets JASO/JASO MA.

The only reason not to use it, would be based on RockChuck's post above. I remember reading something about it and what you mentioned, that's why I started the thread.

I appreciate your reply, thanks.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A mechanic told me that Polaris PS4 has an additive that prevents sticking in the oil pressure valve. If it sticks, it's a very expensive repair as the entire engine has to be torn down. Whether is BS I don't know. I do know that the valve sticking can be a problem as it happened to me. I was using Mobile 1.

The mechanic at our dealership said the same thing about the valve. He said if your were going to run other oil at least add 1 quart of Polaris oil to the mix.

I have a Yamaha ATV now and use T-6 in it as well as in my motorcycle.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by StudDuck

I do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the spec you're speaking of is JASO and Rotella T6 meets JASO/JASO MA.

The only reason not to use it, would be based on RockChuck's post above. I remember reading something about it and what you mentioned, that's why I started the thread.

Great! Rotella checks another box. Heck of a lot easier to get my hands on & probably less cost than Honda oil. Been a fan of Rotella for decades.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I do.

Great! Rotella checks another box. Heck of a lot easier to get my hands on & probably less cost than Honda oil. Been a fan of Rotella for decades.

WAY cheaper than Honda oil or at least where I live.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I do.

use to have a 1998 Honda 750 I bought new in 98... kept it three years....use to run Rotella T 4, 15W40 in it

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rotella T6 is what I use in my dreaded 6.0 Powerstroke so its convenient to run in my 2003 Yamaha Kodiak since I bought it in 2010. Zero issues. When I was checking on compatability back then, it was good to go.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I run T6 in all 4 off my kodiaks and have had zero problems with the wet clutch in any of them. Actually my generator, rider mower , push mower and snowblower gets it too. And just so other are clear you should not run automotive oil in your atv unless it meets the JASO specs.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason they want you to use atv specific oil is because of the wet clutch, oils with any kind of detergent in it will destroy it. I've got a buddy that's been using the Rotella for years and has never had a problem with it, i've been tempted to try it but after wrecking 2 wet clutches I'm a bit paranoid about using a non-atv specific oil.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Using the factory specified oil will cost you maybe $5 to $10 a year more and could save some expensive headaches.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,621
Posts18,455,093
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.