-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was growing up in Maryland, one of our favorite treats was eggs scrambled with canned herring roe, Tidewater brand to be specific. Cheap as dirt back then. At some point they disappeared from stores altogether, not sure exactly when, but about 20 years ago I found some up here at a Food Lion on clearance for a buck a can and bought the few they had. After that, nada.
Once in a while I’d pick up some sets of shad roe when I went to the Eastern Shore to visit my father or he’d bring some to me, but they’re pretty spendy and a pain to prepare for mixing in eggs, and really better enjoyed cooked whole in butter. Plus, I’ve never seen them locally, and grocery store “fresh” seafood is a crapshoot anyway.

For some reason I recalled the herring roe last night and started looking on duckduckgo. It seems that river herring have declined sharply and VA no longer allows them to be taken. Apparently the decline began about the time they introduced the monster blue catfish into the VA tidal rivers, but from what I read the connection isn’t solid. NC, on the other hand, still has a fishery for them, and the Tidewater brand was purchased, along with an old NC brand, and the new owner is selling under both names. The price has skyrocketed, and they ain’t poor-folks food any more, not even close. They’re sold online, and in some of those trendy “country stores” that are really down-home gourmet shops. Seems the annual output gets sold out pretty quickly now to folks who grew up on such stuff. Anyway, I bit the bullet and ordered a case at a price I don't care to discuss. WTF, my birthday is coming up.

While looking I also discovered that salted, dried fish roe is popular not only in Asia, but Yurrup as well. Generally it’s grated onto eggs and pasta, and also sliced thin as a snack like cheese. Amazon has that, so I might have to give it a try as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pappy, life is to short to worry about, what something you like costs.

We order a carton of cans of Alaskan smoked salmon, about every 2nd year.

Currency exchange & freight costs now prohibitive, but .................. we still do it.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been spending money hand-over-fist lately, for exactly that reason. Gonna be 69; if not now, when?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now you need to look into getting herring roe on kelp...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

He's going to have to outbid the Asians for that I think, no?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pappy, somewhere around here we had a thread about tongue and some other cuts of meat that used to be "po' folks" food, Not any longer. Seems the foodies have found out how good some of that stuff tastes and now it's in short supply.

Bone broth recipes makes it so the butcher counters no longer have bones for free if you ask, "oxtail" no longer in the discount meat section.

Good thing for me, whole chickens and turkeys usually come with the backs and necks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

We used to buy the dried seaweed sheets regularly at Costco and the Asian stores, but even the China Doll tired of it. It’s kinda tasty with rice and whatnot. Has a nutty taste to me. Don’t know if fresh kelp is available anywhere around here. The plague has us restricted from making the journey to the big Korean supermarket we used to hit every few months, so our diet is taking a Western turn other than the homemade dumplings, eggrolls, steamed buns, and mooncakes she cranks out. We grow some Asian veggies like daikons and a few others, when we can find the seeds.

Now that my herring roe is on its way, I’m itching to try the dried and salted Italian mullet roe too. The wife is from the North end of China and never ate anything like that, so I expect it’s a Southern thing.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I was a kid in MD, fish in general was cheap, rockfish (stripers), bluefish, shad, hardheads, spot, even crabs.

As for the herring, I remember my uncle taking me and my brother shad fishing. No shad were harmed, but you coulda almost walked across the herring in the creek we fished. We didn’t have a dip net, just fishing rods with shad darts.

What fresh Hell is this?
CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No herring fishery in NC any more. Just about all of them come from SC. When I was a kid my mom's side of the family would get together at Pitch Kettle close to New Bern, NC. We would have NC fish stew made from what they called rockfish but were striped bass. We fried herring and ate them with white bread. At the end of the day my uncles Chevy truck was still full of herring and we would take them to all of the farm workers houses. They would come out with wheel barrows and we would scoop them out of the truck bed and into the wheel barrows with a grain shovel. There were a bunch of canneries on the rivers and creeks back then. Folks also did salt herring and the local stores had those for sale in five gallon buckets. They were over fished in their spawning grounds as were the striped bass. Add in the ocean fishing and you not only have a death of an industry but an almost demise of two species.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So, it wasn't the blue cats then. Not surprised. That part of the story I read was probably a, wait for it.......

red herring, to take the heat off of the commercial fishing folks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I don't eat fish guts. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Pappy, life is to short to worry about, what something you like costs.

We order a carton of cans of Alaskan smoked salmon, about every 2nd year.

Currency exchange & freight costs now prohibitive, but .................. we still do it.

So, not prohibitive? wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I don't eat fish guts. smile

Not guts, more like very young fish veal. Eggs with eggs.

If you think about it, it’s no worse than eating the ones that fall out of a chicken’s azz.

As I always say, anyone that’ll eat an oyster will eat anything (in the case of the oyster, everything).

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 11point, 68 invisible), 2,832 guests, and 1,396 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,472
Posts18,451,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.