Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The .44 mag would be my choice as well.

I would also not pat too much attention to people who make comments about only using S&W N Frames for light loads. Internet Parrots have been reading and repeating this internet nonsense for many years. It shows an obvious lack of actual experience. They read it from someone who did not have actual experience, then repeat it. over and over... I have shot many thousands of 300 grain loads through various N frames. A good 300 grain load @ 1100-1200 FPS will handle anything you are ever likely to use a handgun on, and the N Frame will handle that with ease.

Henry's comments about being able to use .44 Russian and Special are notable too. The .44 Russian are like shooting a .45 ACP through your revolver. 180-200 grain Full wadcutters in a .44 case (Mag, special, whatever) make for a pretty stellar HD or game load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

These 200 grain wadcutters are loaded to about 1350 (off top of my head, I'd have to check my notes) in magnum cases, and they are pretty effective on smacking things down.

The .44 N Frame is quite versatile. Load it to match your use. That can be paper punching, game of all sizes, home defense, etc. Pretty hard to beat.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Assuming that you don't currently have another in either caliber, get the .44 S&W. That is unless you are planning on using it as your primary elephant, or such, gun. If you really want something bigger, then go for it. But seriously, why would you want anything more than a heavy loaded .44? It can shoot bigger and badder loads than I care to. A 240-250 or so grain .44 slug loaded to 1100-1200 FPS is plenty for anything I would want to shoot. Call me a wuss, but anything much more than that is just painful to me. That is not the max load for a .44, so you have plenty more to go if you want. What I like about the .44 is that I can shoot .44 Russian, what I call my ".44 Russian +P", .44 Special, what I call my ".44 Special +P", and all of the various .44 Magnum loads up to "T-Rex killers". It's a pretty darn versatile caliber. I don't think you will have that much versatility with the other, but in fairness, I am really not that familiar with it. Nor, do I see any reason to be. JMHO,YMMV.

Straight-walled revolver cartridges are ALL "pretty darn versatile", and the 475 is no exception. Just take a look at the Hodgdon data. A guy can load 325 grain jacketed bullets at 800 or so out of a 6.5" barrel with 8 grains of Titegroup, or the same bullet can be pushed close to double that speed with 32 grains Lil Gun.

Lee makes a 325gr cast GC. Western bullets sells them if you don't cast.

Hodgdon's data includes a 370 grain cast bullet loaded down close to 650 FPS, or 1500 FPS, depending on what you need.

Bullet weights above 400 grains are standard. Hodgdon lists both cast and jacketed bullets at that weight, with velocities from 600 to 1400 FPS.

All this just to give you an idea how versatile ANY straight-walled revolver cartridge can be, even the big ones, with the 475 being far more versatile than the 44, because its pressure window is far larger.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
i would go 475 all day long but not a huge 44 fan not that it don/t work it's just everyone i buy i convert anyway

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.44 Mag.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would prefer the DA 629 for defense against bears or whatever.

I would prefer the BFR for hunting.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I would prefer the DA 629 for defense against bears or whatever.

I would prefer the BFR for hunting.

Exactly my thoughts. I think I might just buy both 😁
One can never have to many guns 😆

Last edited by remingtonman; 01/18/21.

"When guns are outlawed,only the outlaws will have guns".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get the one that fits your hand the best.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
The .44 mag would be my choice as well.

I would also not pat too much attention to people who make comments about only using S&W N Frames for light loads. Internet Parrots have been reading and repeating this internet nonsense for many years. It shows an obvious lack of actual experience. They read it from someone who did not have actual experience, then repeat it. over and over... I have shot many thousands of 300 grain loads through various N frames. A good 300 grain load @ 1100-1200 FPS will handle anything you are ever likely to use a handgun on, and the N Frame will handle that with ease.

Henry's comments about being able to use .44 Russian and Special are notable too. The .44 Russian are like shooting a .45 ACP through your revolver. 180-200 grain Full wadcutters in a .44 case (Mag, special, whatever) make for a pretty stellar HD or game load.

These 200 grain wadcutters are loaded to about 1350 (off top of my head, I'd have to check my notes) in magnum cases, and they are pretty effective on smacking things down.

The .44 N Frame is quite versatile. Load it to match your use. That can be paper punching, game of all sizes, home defense, etc. Pretty hard to beat.

Those are beautiful grips on the short-barrelled 29.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When considering any two firearms...ALWAYS buy both! You can come up with the cash. "C'MON MAN! You know the government will help you!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You don't say how much experience with the 44 mag or what you are planning on using them for. If you haven't shot a 44 mag quite a bit, stick with the 44. That's plenty for most people.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
You don't say how much experience with the 44 mag or what you are planning on using them for. If you haven't shot a 44 mag quite a bit, stick with the 44. That's plenty for most people.

I have owned all of the mentioned several times but have traded/sold to get something else and usually end up missing them to much 😆 and when I get the cash I usually look for the same revolver or a different one. I have owned a 500 s&w,460,454 casull, 44mag & the 475 linebaugh. I also currently own a 10mm. I just couldn’t figure out which one to stick with . Primary use is for hiking/hunting /camping

Last edited by remingtonman; 01/18/21.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by remingtonman

I have owned all of the mentioned several times but have traded/sold to get something else and usually end up missing them to much 😆 and when I get the cash I usually look for the same revolver or a different one. I have owned a 500 s&w,460,454 casull, 44mag & the 475 linebaugh. I also currently own a 10mm. I just couldn’t figure out which one to stick with . Primary use is for hiking/hunting /camping

Well I bought a 10 mm for a hiking/camping gun. But having said that, for what you want it for. 44 smith would be a bit lighter general woods carry, hiking , hunter..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

If you plan on carrying the revolver all over kingdom come then I recommend you take a hard look at a S&W 69

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

If you plan on carrying the revolver all over kingdom come then I recommend you take a hard look at a S&W 69

I actually had a S&w 69 with a 4” barrel but traded it for a BFR 475linebaugh and I miss that puppy a lot. I have a Glock 20 that I carry backwoods so I figured I wasn’t gaining much by carrying a 69 but I actually want to get another 69 but they have shot up big time $$ wise.

Last edited by remingtonman; 01/19/21.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The 44 mag is about as much handgun as I want to shoot at this time in my life. I own an older 629 8 3/8 inch full rib and it's pretty comfortable to shoot for a 44 mag. It sounds like you're going to buy both of them so good for you. Have fun finding ammo for them. :-)

Last edited by MickinColo; 01/19/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like my 629. I have a couple other 44's, molds etc. For me it would be an easy decision. I find that 320 grain cast loads in my 44 to be all the fun I cold have in a revolver.

I guess the decision is what are you going to shoot with your new revolver?

If you plan on something that might eat you, that would be one thing...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by viking
44 mag, just make sure the barrel is screwed on correctly. I’ve seen a custom shop Smith with the front sight canted.

I have -6. Same configuration. Great gun and shooter despite the myriad reports of clocked barrels etc. But I got to give mine a real thorough look-over before I laid down my $. Which was 850.$ NIB, about 5 years ago. I would buy it again between these two choices, hands down. .44 mag is a lot of fun and a lot of gun. Extremely versatile as others have said.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
44 for sure bias as hell had n frame SW revolvers since 1979 " their the best f uck the rest"

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I am a huge fan of 44 mag so that’s my vote unless you need more horsepower for really big game. Components for 44 mag should be more economical.

NRA Endowment Member
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.