Print Thread
Hop To
#15581637 12/29/20
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
While looking into Norwegian Elkhounds, I stumbled onto info about the Swedish version, what they call a Jamthund. My idea of a perfect dog is one that will: 1) come when called; 2) blood trail on a leash when asked. It would be nice to have a dog to hike with again. Also, I understand that 1 and 2 take a good effort on the part of the human.

It's probably pricey to find one of these breeds that's well-papered. Maybe some of the Alaskan folk who either breed or happen into sled dog stock might know of some, though it looks like that sport selects for husky breeds. In real life I dunno if there would be any difference. These elkhounds are fond of their people, not easily ruffled, and woodsy, which I like.

Anybody got insight or experience with these breeds?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
While looking into Norwegian Elkhounds, I stumbled onto info about the Swedish version, what they call a Jamthund. My idea of a perfect dog is one that will: 1) come when called; 2) blood trail on a leash when asked. It would be nice to have a dog to hike with again. Also, I understand that 1 and 2 take a good effort on the part of the human.

It's probably pricey to find one of these breeds that's well-papered. Maybe some of the Alaskan folk who either breed or happen into sled dog stock might know of some, though it looks like that sport selects for husky breeds. In real life I dunno if there would be any difference. These elkhounds are fond of their people, not easily ruffled, and woodsy, which I like.

I have some with elk hounds. I don't think the breed would do well in S climates though like AZ. These breeds were meant to live in n climates

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both things you're looking for are a trained behavior, having some natural game drive would be a benefit for blood trailing though. I'd look for a rescue of some flavor and put the time into training, a lot of good dogs are sitting in shelters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

For the Norwegian ones PM Hatari - he's had them for years and has two for now. He lives in GA so pretty warm.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I live in Sweden and over the past few decades I have experience with about a dozen different Jämthunds, a common dog (along with Norwegian elkhunds) in my moose hunting team.

Here is a nice Jämthund:
[Linked Image from skk.se]

and here is a nice Norwegian elkhund:

[Linked Image from skk.se]

The Jämthund has longer legs than the Norwegian elkhund (generally a bit more than the difference between these two pictures), but they both have similar personalities with regard to family and kids -- which is great IMNSHO. They are both robust dogs, tough as hell and are not bothered by little kids mauling them - I can't imagine one ever snapping at a child. Both breeds are calm with family and strangers in my experience.

Both dogs need a lot of exercise, but they will keep you fit!

I've seen both breeds do truly excellent work in following the blood trail of a wounded moose, even when it repeatedly crossed the trails of many other moose. We have really high moose densities here in Sweden, so a dog that stays on the trail of a particular (wounded) moose is worth a lot. There are regular moose-finding and moose-tracking competitions, and a moose with a good competition history will be insured for $US 10,000 or more.

Jämthunds do very well as grouse-hunting dogs as well as deer, bear and moose.

Both breeds have a very dense double coat, if one goes swimming, you can put your fingers in their fur and the dense undercoat next to the skin will by DRY. These dogs shed. Make sure that everything in your house is gray and you will be fine! grin

If your screen name isn't taken from your past and you are really in Arizona, I'm sorry to confirm that neither of these breeds do well in the heat. I'm in the north of Sweden, but in the south it is warmer (although nothing like an Arizona summer I'm sure!) and here some owners shear the dogs for the summer. The dogs love water and will swim to cool off, but that doesn't sound like much of a solution for many parts of Arizona. frown

Jämthunds are a tough, healthy breed, but can have hip displaysia. Just make sure the parents are free of this and you should be good to go.

Some Swedish Jämthund breeders will export a dog but don't be surprised if they want to make sure that you will really, REALLY hunt with the dog before they will sell you one! Here is a link to the Jämthund dog clubb LINK to JämthundKlubben but if you use the browser Chrome, it can translate to English for you. Nearly all Swedes understand English well, so you could make contact by email I'm sure.

Cheers from dark, snowy northern Sweden,
John

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JPB- great post!

I’ve owned Elkhounds for 20 years and love the breed.
You are spot on with them being great with kids and family. They are intelligent, indepenband can be stubborn. They bond very tightly with family but you must be the alpha. As long as you are their leader, they are loving attention whores that want to please you.

However- they do quite well in the heat! No dog likes extreme heat, but Atlanta is plenty hot and humid and they tolerate it better than most other breeds around here. Better than my daughters Weimaraner and Golden, better than my neighbor’s GSP.

Yes, they love it when the frost hits but they do just fine in our summers.

I get mine from breeders in California and Texas. They do fine in Texas. They blow off their winter under coat in the Spring.

Mine do not like water! Like JPB says their coat seems water repellent. Bathe them and with two shakes they are almost dry.

- they shed. Neat freaks beware.
- they do best in pairs or more because they like to wrestle and play and chase each other. You need to get out and chase them and get on all fours and woof and wrestle with them. They love it!

- they are stubborn so not blindly obedient. They need consistent command and training but will take to it if you are alpha.

Their is a small but strong community of elkhound breeders in the US. Almost all are 100% in keeping the hunting traits in the blood and it is normal to see them bring dogs in from Norway for their blood lines.

- many breeders will quiz you thoroughly about your interest in the breed. Do you have enough room to exercise them, time to spend with them etc. these are not foo foo apartment dogs and get bored without exercise and stimulation.

- they take reprimands hard and will sulk with feelings hurt for days unless they know they are forgiven. Funny to see, but approval from their master is very important. Conversely, they are some of the most loyal dogs.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hatari
JPB- great post!

I’ve owned Elkhounds for 20 years and love the breed.
You are spot on with them being great with kids and family. They are intelligent, indepenband can be stubborn. They bond very tightly with family but you must be the alpha. As long as you are their leader, they are loving attention whores that want to please you.

However- they do quite well in the heat! No dog likes extreme heat, but Atlanta is plenty hot and humid and they tolerate it better than most other breeds around here. Better than my daughters Weimaraner and Golden, better than my neighbor’s GSP.

Yes, they love it when the frost hits but they do just fine in our summers.

I get mine from breeders in California and Texas. They do fine in Texas. They blow off their winter under coat in the Spring.

Mine do not like water! Like JPB says their coat seems water repellent. Bathe them and with two shakes they are almost dry.

- they shed. Neat freaks beware.
- they do best in pairs or more because they like to wrestle and play and chase each other. You need to get out and chase them and get on all fours and woof and wrestle with them. They love it!

- they are stubborn so not blindly obedient. They need consistent command and training but will take to it if you are alpha.

Their is a small but strong community of elkhound breeders in the US. Almost all are 100% in keeping the hunting traits in the blood and it is normal to see them bring dogs in from Norway for their blood lines.

- many breeders will quiz you thoroughly about your interest in the breed. Do you have enough room to exercise them, time to spend with them etc. these are not foo foo apartment dogs and get bored without exercise and stimulation.

- they take reprimands hard and will sulk with feelings hurt for days unless they know they are forgiven. Funny to see, but approval from their master is very important. Conversely, they are some of the most loyal dogs.

Thanks Hatari

I stand corrected on how well the dogs do in the heat! I don't think that I could manage the heat & humidity of an Atlanta summer myself!

Also, Hatari is bang on about the dogs really wanting to please, and that even a mild rebuke can make them sulk for days. They really do want your approval!

John

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The rescue that my ex wife volunteers for has plenty of dogs come through that would fit that bill. They have one right now that looks like a lab/hound mix,

I decided to pick up an airedale for the exact same purpose you lined out. He was born Jan 1 in Flagstaff.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My childhood dog was an elkhound lab mix named chocolot. I got him when I was about five and he was still on the farm when I left at 18.
God did he love to hunt. He refused to ride in a vehicle, and would run behind the truck for miles in the badlands.
If you picked up a rifle and he was right beside you. He would tremble with excitement and was impossible to hold back after a shot.
We once had owls kill the tame geese off the pond. The owl couldn’t carry the goose very far before bouncing it on the ground.
Chocolot led us to where the owl had supper of the goose a 1/4 mile away.
My brother had a coonhound that would chase rabbits around in the brush.
Chocolot would just sit by the warren and wait for the rabbit.
If I ever found a Jamthund it would be tough to resist.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 52 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,522
Posts18,452,750
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.