Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I want a Kimber Montana in .243 or 7mm/08 and it looks like they all have a threaded barrel (it's ugly and I have need of it ) Kimber still making the Montana or just the Hunter now? Can you get one without threads still? Also thinking of a Classic Select in 270 and these have a 24" barrel. All my other .270's have been 22 which I find about perfect. Does the 270 normally come in 24" and I just never noticed this? Anyone with the .270 having accuracy issues?
'

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a gunsmith to chop the barrel and recrown

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Keep checking on GB. They quite often have the older unthreaded barrels listed. Just a couple of weeks ago, there was a NIB OS .243. Also, keep looking at the Proxibid sites. I got a NIB OS 7-08 and a 257 Roberts a couple of years ago. Both well under $1K.

I was going to suggest the Classic Select in 7-08 as an option, but they no longer offer it. You might want to consider the 308 Win with a 22" tube.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/17/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Thanks Captain Obvious.

So you don't know the answers to any of my questions despite you being the Kimber man?

K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
As far as I know the Montana is no longer made. And yes, 24" barrel is what Kimber is using on the 270 across the board. Maybe the past Kimber 270's were 22", I don't know. I think you can get the Hunter without a threaded barrel.
As was suggested by eaglemountainman Gun Broker is a good source for older Montana's along with the Classifieds on this website. I've seen several for sale in 243 and 7 08's, both were Montana's.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive one in 270. Getting 3200fps with 130 grain fusions out of mine. Accuracy is as good. My 243 and 7mm-08s got rebarreled to 6 creed for the kids.

Yup.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dimecovers5

Thanks Captain Obvious.

So you don't know the answers to any of my questions despite you being the Kimber man?

He's forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want a Kimber Montana in .243 or 7mm/08 and it looks like they all have a threaded barrel (it's ugly and I have need of it ) Kimber still making the Montana or just the Hunter now? Can you get one without threads still? Also thinking of a Classic Select in 270 and these have a 24" barrel. All my other .270's have been 22 which I find about perfect. Does the 270 normally come in 24" and I just never noticed this? Anyone with the .270 having accuracy issues?'

You stated you have need of it (the threaded barrel). So why are you looking for one without threads?

Yes I'm intentionally being a dick for your flippant response to a longtime knowledgeable member for him merely offering an easy fix to a threaded barrel. Best of luck finding one!

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

Best profile pic on the fire.

Blatant, unapologetic hijack.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I want a Kimber Montana in .243 or 7mm/08 and it looks like they all have a threaded barrel (it's ugly and I have need of it ) Kimber still making the Montana or just the Hunter now? Can you get one without threads still? Also thinking of a Classic Select in 270 and these have a 24" barrel. All my other .270's have been 22 which I find about perfect. Does the 270 normally come in 24" and I just never noticed this? Anyone with the .270 having accuracy issues?
'

There's a 243 on GB right now.

[img]www.gunbroker.com/item/889662223[/img]

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by K22
As far as I know the Montana is no longer made. And yes, 24" barrel is what Kimber is using on the 270 across the board. Maybe the past Kimber 270's were 22", I don't know. I think you can get the Hunter without a threaded barrel.
As was suggested by eaglemountainman Gun Broker is a good source for older Montana's along with the Classifieds on this website. I've seen several for sale in 243 and 7 08's, both were Montana's.

Funny is how they killed off their golden goose, The Montana. I have a 7-08 Montana with the pre threaded barrel and last year purchased the Hunter in .243, non threaded. Had hopes of finding a takeoff Montana stock but don't think that's going to happen.

The Hunter with detachable mag and poly trigger guard is different but not a game changer.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Thanks Captain Obvious.

And another newb penis wrinkle shows his azz. welcome to the fire.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it was me, I'd want the Montana with threads because that means the rifle was made after the switch to the "MOA accuracy standard." Those made before that were more variable in accuracy. All 3 I owned that were made earlier went down the road because of accuracy problems, the 1 made since remains in the safe and is my primary hunting rifle.

As far as .243, it's been dropped from the lineup entirely .. aside from their varmint rifles, Kimber dropped everything .25 caliber and down from the Mountain Ascent and Montana lines a couple years ago. Though the Montana is still listed, none of the dealers that carry Kimber have any, they are emphasizing the Hunter on the bottom end and Mountain Ascent on the top end.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I want a Kimber Montana in .243 or 7mm/08 and it looks like they all have a threaded barrel (it's ugly and I have need of it ) Kimber still making the Montana or just the Hunter now? Can you get one without threads still? Also thinking of a Classic Select in 270 and these have a 24" barrel. All my other .270's have been 22 which I find about perfect. Does the 270 normally come in 24" and I just never noticed this? Anyone with the .270 having accuracy issues?'

Previously owned a Kimber Classic Select chambered .270 Win. Three shot MOA rifle with Nosler 130gr NAB factory ammo and Leupold 6x36. Gave it to a grandson for a graduation present. Also owned a Kimber Mountain Ascent chambered .270 that was three shot MOA after running the SAS Kimber preflight checklist.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Kimber still makes the Montana.
You can find a non-threaded Montana, it may take you quite a while to do so.
The 270 currently only comes with a 24” barrel.

It may be quicker and easier to find a new threaded 243 or 7mm08 Montana and have your gunsmith just chop the barrel short of the threads and recrown.

It may be quicker and easier to buy the 24” .270 and have your gunsmith just chop the barrel down to the 22” you desire and then recrown.

Hint....

ALDO LEOPOLD
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 6MMWASP

Thanks Captain Obvious.

And another newb penis wrinkle shows his azz. welcome to the fire.

Damn, he's confused about such a simple thing. Like we need more of that. LOL +P

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
I'm not a fan of the threaded barrels either. The 223 Montana I recently acquired has the threaded barrel with the ugly thread protector, so, I had my buddy a machinist make a thread protector that is the same diameter as the barrel. Hard to even tell it's there.

I must have missed the Montana's on the Kimber site?

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D

Thanks Captain Obvious.

Kimber still makes the Montana.
You can find a non-threaded Montana, it may take you quite a while to do so.
The 270 currently only comes with a 24” barrel.

It may be quicker and easier to find a new threaded 243 or 7mm08 Montana and have your gunsmith just chop the barrel short of the threads and recrown.

It may be quicker and easier to buy the 24” .270 and have your gunsmith just chop the barrel down to the 22” you desire and then recrown.

Hint....

I remember when Kimber had a bad reputation for anything with a .284 caliber barrel. Was there a period between the bad 7mm barrels and the threaded 7mm barrels that they were good and how would one know serial number wise? Thanks for your learned reply. I was not trying to be a Richard Face I'm trying to get this rifle for a soon to be Eagle Scout for a lot of years of hard work for his first real deer rifle ( not to mention missing nearly his entire Jr. year of HS chasing girls) and I want it to be special and new if possible and without it having problems that require dealing with Kimber's customer service. The pandemic and the soon to be democratic administration have created a perfect storm for not being able to find squat in a nice rifle for a kid. Hoping I can pull this off before next September. I already got new 2.5 x 8 a 1.5 x 5 VX-3i's and a 3 x 9 VX-R just waiting for the rifle when I find it. Figured I'd let him pick and then use the other two scopes for whatever comes along.

Last edited by dimecovers5; 01/17/21.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by K22
I'm not a fan of the threaded barrels either. The 223 Montana I recently acquired has the threaded barrel with the ugly thread protector, so, I had my buddy a machinist make a thread protector that is the same diameter as the barrel. Hard to even tell it's there.

I must have missed the Montana's on the Kimber site?

Yes they hide the Montana The only way I could find them was going into the WSM action choices. Made me think they dropped them too. I have not seen a Hunter model in person and only assume it's a budget model with the plastic tripper guard. Can it really add that much to the cost of the rifle to put steel or aluminum there....or maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited by dimecovers5; 01/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not sure on the 7mm barrels, I’ve had 4 Kimber 7mm’s and they all shot well. I’ve not had an issue getting a Kimber to shoot well.

One thing you might consider posting a “Want to Buy” ad in the classifieds with what you are looking for - there might be a few guys here with a Montana they’re willing to part with.

ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,373
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.