Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
If you have ever purchased a new rifle from a major manufacturer, or from a custom gunmaker, chances are that the rifle was test-fired by the maker. Chances are, also, that the mfr. or maker did so without cleaning the barrel of that rifle at any time during their test firing. Nearly all of the new rifles I have bought have been previously fired, and arrived with a fouled barrel. Exceptions have been with custom barrels on rifles I have had re-barreled.

So- if the rifle mfr., or builder, or barrel maker, gives their break-in recommendations of, say, shoot one, clean, repeat, rinse, etc., and the barrel has had rounds sent down it an indeterminate number of times, any potential benefit of 'break-in', starting with a virgin bore, has been negated!

IMO, if that new rifle you purchased has already been test-fired by the mfr. or builder, following their break in procedures is nothing more than a waste of time, ammo, and bore life.
I bring this up, having recently purchased a new rifle, with a barrel from a premium barrel maker, which has required way more cleanup than you would expect from having been fired once or twice. This same barrel maker recommends a break in procedure, which may have had a chance before it was fired multiple times already. Gonna clean it up, sight it in, and shoot the darn thing!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Go for it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Clean it thoroughly and proceed with proper break in. Cleaning puts you back to square one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Over the last 70 new off the shelf factory rifles of pretty much all brands I broke in about the first half of them, the last half have just been shot. If I averaged them out there would be no difference. Some of the broke in barrels didn't shoot, some shot ok and some shot exceptional same as the ones not broke in. If a gun is going to shoot it will whether it's broke in or not. Just my opinion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bushrat
Over the last 70 new off the shelf factory rifles of pretty much all brands I broke in about the first half of them, the last half have just been shot. If I averaged them out there would be no difference. Some of the broke in barrels didn't shoot, some shot ok and some shot exceptional same as the ones not broke in. If a gun is going to shoot it will whether it's broke in or not. Just my opinion.

I'd say that's a lot more than just an opinion. Sounds to me like it's based on a lot of real experience. And I hear more and more folks saying the same.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by waltcollins
Clean it thoroughly and proceed with proper break in. Cleaning puts you back to square one.

This^^^

Long time ago I read an article that said most of the firearm manufacturers proof fire one round and box the gun up (don't know if that applies to revolvers though).

I just cleaned a brand new M700 SS before I fired my first loads. It did have some copper in it according to my borescope but didn't take long to clean up.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just more proof of the fallacy of barrel break in.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
When I picked up my CA Mesa included was some pretty detailed instructions for barrel break-in - which I ignored.

I mean, jeez - it's a freakin' hunting rifle and I intended to only shoot factory ammo through it, so I did the following:

- dry patch after the 1st set of 20 rounds.
- dry patch and apply powder solvent after the 2nd set of 20 rounds.
- dry patch, apply powder solvent, and then copper clean after the 3rd set of 20 rounds.

After 120 rounds of that routine the barrel settled in and was good to go.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I do a little halfass break-in routine (11 shots total) but I think I do it more to make me feel better as i doubt the little routine I do makes any difference in accuracy.....Good luck...Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mines a quarterass routine. Take the damn thing apart outta the box, clean it tip to tail. Reassemble. Shoot.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The barrel break in procedures were developed by bench rest shooters for use with benchrest guns.
They were never intended for the common hunting rifle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by bushrat

I've prolly owned at least 200 centerfire rifles over the last 55 years. When I first started out I did the barrel break in thingy.

Now, at most, it is 50 to 200 strokes with a bronze bore brush covered with a JB Bore Paste/Kroil mix, clean to bare metal and go shoot. I may shoot 70+ rounds before I clean again.

These days I'm not so much of a paper puncher as I was during my more anal youth.

I am a short range meat hunter so 1" groups at 100 yds. works just fine for me.

I get a kick out of watching guys at the range set up, fire three to 5 rounds and then clean. Do it over and over again and one can see the frustration on their faces as they never give the barrel an opportunity to foul in,

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 01/19/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In 2018 I was at a Magpul precision rifle class. As part of the package the participants each received a stainless and cerekoted Remington custom shop 40X in 6.5 man bun.

The two gunsmiths that built the guns were at the class the first two days in case of any problems and to answer any questions about the build.

After the class started some of the guys asked about cleaning and barrel break-in. The gunsmiths began to tell us about break-in procedures but were overruled by the two Marine Scout Sniper instructors who told us to shoot them until groups really started to open up. The gunsmiths were bummed.

All told after the class and a bit of prairie dog hunting I had put 437 rounds down range without cleaning and the groups hadn't opened up much. When I got it home it cleaned up very easy and I haven't cleaned it since in 2+ years and 300+ rounds.

Me and the gun in a Bass Pro/Cabelas flyer.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Bighorn
If you have ever purchased a new rifle from a major manufacturer, or from a custom gunmaker, chances are that the rifle was test-fired by the maker. Chances are, also, that the mfr. or maker did so without cleaning the barrel of that rifle at any time during their test firing. Nearly all of the new rifles I have bought have been previously fired, and arrived with a fouled barrel. Exceptions have been with custom barrels on rifles I have had re-barreled.

So- if the rifle mfr., or builder, or barrel maker, gives their break-in recommendations of, say, shoot one, clean, repeat, rinse, etc., and the barrel has had rounds sent down it an indeterminate number of times, any potential benefit of 'break-in', starting with a virgin bore, has been negated!

IMO, if that new rifle you purchased has already been test-fired by the mfr. or builder, following their break in procedures is nothing more than a waste of time, ammo, and bore life.
I bring this up, having recently purchased a new rifle, with a barrel from a premium barrel maker, which has required way more cleanup than you would expect from having been fired once or twice. This same barrel maker recommends a break in procedure, which may have had a chance before it was fired multiple times already. Gonna clean it up, sight it in, and shoot the darn thing!

The key to proper barrel break-in is knowing the when and the how of sacrificing the chickens. Once you get that down, it's a snap, and repeatable with every new barrel, at least unless you offend the Accuracy Gods or Fouling Gods. Then you're screwed, and you have to spend $1000 on Alpha, Peterson, or Lapua brass to appease them.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm in the camp that gives the new rifle a good cleaning, zero the scope, then go hunting. I don't usually shoot unless for zero or hunting. 1.5 moa kills any deer or elk out to 300 yards, which is my limit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You dont break in the barrel.
You smooth the throat.
Done right the barrel will foul less later in life.
Hammer mechanics would never know the difference.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Barrel break in has to be one of the goofiest things that has ever gripped the firearms community. Clean it, confirm that the fasteners are torqued correctly, shoot it. 99.8% of shooters will never even fathom to see a difference. When you wear it out (which you won't because you are on the internet too much and not shooting) put a new barrel on it and shoot it some more.

Last edited by bmoney; 01/19/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 59 invisible), 2,351 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.