"In between times, while staying at Bud's home, we hunted some caribou. Elaine and Yvonne had each bagged a nice caribou. Then I suggested to ?Bud that he let Linda try for a caribou. Inasmuch as she is only 9 years old, Bud looked at me and at Linda and indicated that while he was very anxious for her to get a caribou, he knew nothing of her ability with a rifle. So, he brought out his .22 rifle and set up a target about 100 feet away and had her shoot at this distance 8 to 10 times. She did very well, in fact all of the holes in the target could have been covered with a silver dollar. Bud then wondered what he would do with a high-powered rifle, so he brought out his Weatherby .223 (Note: I believe that this has to be a typo in the paper. I wonder if it was a .228. I cannot think what else it would be, unless it wasn't a Weatherby, but Ed seemed to have an affinity for them.) high-powered rifle, which was equipped with a very fine scope-sight. Then I took a piece of cardboard about 8 inches square, and hung it on an empty barrel. After I had hung up this target I stepped off the distance back to the house, which was 235 yards. Linda took one shat at this piece of cardboard on the barrel, and hit it almost in the center. Bud then said that this was good enough for him and that she could go hunting with him anytime, and of course, I felt that Linda could shoot a caribou because she had been practicing very diligently with a rifle for two years.

Bud, Linda, and I took off in his plane with the Weatherby rifle, looking for a nice caribou. We were attempting to find a single caribou or not more than three or four in a group. We passed up several small groups as they were not choice caribou. Then we spotted three, one of which looked very good. We landed the plane and proceeded to stalk the caribou. However when we came over the river bank there were no caribou. they had simply disappeared. We then took off again and flew down the river another mile or two where we spotted three caribou on an island. We could not get close to them without them getting sight of us, so we landed about one-half mile away from them, thinking that the caribou would travel in our direction. The caribou were very accommodating, as they started moving toward us. We got ourselves settled in a nice spot where they couldn't see us and waited for them. The first one that came by about 100 yards from us was an old buck which was very shaggy - not very desirable, so we passed him up. The next one that came by was a young buck with a very nice pelt. He was passing us at a distance of about 200 yards. In the meantime, Linda was very well set with the Weatherby rifle. Bud waved his cap and whistled trying to attract the caribou's attention to where he would stop, but after several such attempts on Bud's part, the caribou simply looked at us and kept on walking. Bud instructed Linda to take a shot at him, instructing her where to aim. She followed the instructions very closely, aimed, and fired, and down went the caribou. It is difficult to explain the thrill Linda experienced in shooting this caribou. It was very carefully skinned and the meat cut up, placed in the plane, and brought back to Bud's house. The skin was then immediately sent to Seattle where it is being made into a nice floor rug, which we expect she will have within the next 60 to 90 days.

Our time was now up and we had to leave Bud's home so as to catch our plane out of Barrow. We proceeded to pack up all of our baggage and our course had to make the journey to Barrow in two trips. Linda, Brian, and myself and some of the baggage went on the first trip. We found, when we arrived at Barrow, two Eskimo girls with whom Linda had made friends during our previous stay in Barrow along with a group of other children, on hand to meet us and they helped us carry our baggage to the hotel, where we spent the rest of the day and part of the following day, preparing to leave on our flight to Fairbanks. When we left the hotel there was a sad parting between Linda and the two Eskimo girls with whom she had become very close friends. When the bus left, there were three little girls shedding tears... Linda now has a couple of pen pals at Barrow, Alaska.

From Barrow, we proceeded on to Fairbanks, where we spent an additional few days. During this time we took a tour by plane to Nome and Kotzebue, and back to Fairbanks, where we proceeded home by plane via Seattle and Minneapolis."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.