Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I dunno! But hey, what can be more Canadian than Timmys? I also don't know how we made it darker and richer, but apparently, we did!

The new dark roast is a unique blend that features premium Arabica beans from the Indonesian island of Sumatra, in addition to the beans from Guatemala, Colombia and Brazil used in the chain's original coffee.

Tim Hortons launches new dark roast

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Tim Hortons has made a global impression on coffee drinkers. In Yamunanagar, India, they have Tim Hottens. They even use the Timmy's slogan, "Always Fresh". I hope these people don't come for our moose!

In South Korea, many people enjoy Tim Mortons coffee, available at their local supermarket.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have never understood the love of Tim hortons. The food sucks, the coffee is even worse.

Pitter Patter!
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Nashville
I have never understood the love of Tim hortons. The food sucks, the coffee is even worse.

Their food and coffee is fine. It just doesn't appeal to you. Since the company is successful, enough people must like what they make or it would have gone out of business long ago. It's no different than me not liking Remington 700s or Italian food. Both do quite well without my thumbs down. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Rickard's Red? Love Timmy's. We were hunting and fishing in International Falls Minn and they had a Tim Hortons.

Last edited by skitish; 01/17/21.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Don’t mind the coffee, will order a breakfast bagel or burrito but I never bother with their lunch menu.

AFA Dark Roast, this is like their 4th attempt. They’re even admitting that in a commercial.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Even McDonalds coffee is better and more consistent than Tim Hortons and it comes in a double walled insulated cup with a decent lid that is easy to drink out of.. Tim Hortons donuts honestly are terrible, better donuts at any gas station.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Their food and coffee is fine. It just doesn't appeal to you. Since the company is successful, enough people must like what they make or it would have gone out of business long ago. It's no different than me not liking Remington 700s or Italian food. Both do quite well without my thumbs down. smile

Well then it must be good.

Pitter Patter!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That'll go well with a Maple Glazed eh?

The only thing more Canadian than that are the Habs and the TV show "The Beachcombers"

Oh, and CIL Canuck ammo.

Last edited by cooper57m; 01/17/21. Reason: CIL
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Well then it must be good.

Now you've got it!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Question for only the non-Canadians that visit this forum: What do Canadians call what we in the US call Canadian Bacon?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Bacon.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Cooper—in Canada what you’re thinking of is called Back bacon up here. It is cured but not smoked boneless pork loin

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N

Agreed.

Highly overrated.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Cooper—in Canada what you’re thinking of is called Back bacon up here. It is cured but not smoked boneless pork loin

It was a question for non-Canadians. I know you know. Actually, when I was in a diner in a small town outside of Ottawa it was called peameal bacon (same thing as back bacon). I had just never heard it called that before then.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Didn’t mean to hijack your thread Steve—but I think pea meal back bacon is more Canadian than Timmy’s coffee.
I used to work in a butcher shop that saw a lot of American tourists and I grew up in the meat buisness south of the medicine line. The tourists would ask for Canadian bacon and the local butchers were always trying to show them regular slab bacon.
All the back bacon I ever saw came coated in corn meal but maybe Steve would know-did at one time they use dried pea meal?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All my in-laws and many friends live in BC, so I frequent Tim H's when we're out-and-about.

The coffee and food is every bit as good as any fast-food place in the USA, maybe even better!

The only food item I really miss in Canada is cookies.... they don't have any.... they only have biscuits.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
There is peameal bacon, which is “seasoned” (slightly brined) and called peameal bacon, then there is back bacon, which is brined and smoked. Both are made from the loin, but back bacon is trimmed so it is only the round of the loin.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-peameal-bacon-and-Canadian-bacon?share=1

Having said that, I can find peameal bacon every day of the week here, but it’s rare to find back bacon. Occasionally at farmers markets, but that’s it.

A nice peameal recipe, for those interested, is to grill it whole on your bbq while basting it with maple syrup. Makes a nice candy crust.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.ytimg.com]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon

wabigoon;
Good day to you my friend, I hope that you and your fine family are well.

Since we've been discussing stuff to get in Canada - should the borders reopen and folks be able to travel freely again, here's a bit of a list.

As mentioned in a thread on the regular forum, if you're stopping into a Canadian Tire to pick up the two pack of Redbird Strike Anywhere matches for $5, look for the big rack of Franks Chips which is a house brand now.

They have flavors such as All Dressed, Ketchup, Korean BBQ and Turkey Stuffing that you'll not find south of the medicine line. While I'm a longtime fan of the All Dressed, I've got to admit that Turkey Stuffing is battling hard for first place in the "most favored" status in the back seat of the pickup for "firewood day road snacks"

As well, one should really search out some of these if you're a cheese puff or Cheetos fan at all. Be prepared for something wonderful here folks.... wink

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Should your taste buds be more to the sweet than the savory, then might I suggest any of the following which are at most gas stations, one way or the other from the Hawkins Cheezies...

In no particular order - well okay my favorites first...

- Coffee Crisp - coffee flavored biscuit center thing - always a fine choice.

- Crispy Crunch - watch these on hot days as the chocolate will melt on one's fingers pretty fast - this would be a 70°F day sort of confection.

- Mr. Big - a layered vanilla wafer coated in caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps and covered in a chocolate coating

- Wunderbar - peanut butter center, chocolate outside.

- Caramilk - caramel sauce inside - again not a hot weather confection

- Smarties - rather like M&M's but definitely not the same. Live it up - do a side by side taste test.

- Big Turk - Turkish delight sort of thing, quite sweet - might need black coffee to offset the sweetness

- Aero bars - these come in all sorts of centers now. It's a bubbled chocolate that really melts in your mouth. They make a "high end" dark chocolate one that's really, really, really - well I like it...

- Bounty - my late Mom's favorite because of the coconut center. If you don't like coconut, you will not prefer this.

That's about it for the Canada foods and matches report this morning I believe.

Not that it's any more or less Canadian than Timmy's coffee - which I do drink on occasion when we're on the road. As un-Canadian as this might sound, in a side by side taste test I tend to prefer McDonald's blend of coffee rather than what Tim's has been serving the last few years.

Funny how I used to really like it and they swear they've not changed the formula so it must be my changing taste buds perhaps?

We'll try their new Dark Roast next time I make a trip into town, which isn't that often anymore truly and that's okay with me too you know?

All the best to you all this week.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I always used to raid my son's Halloween cache for the little Crispy Crunch bars. Big Turk are good, too. I've never found them too sweet, but I am a fan of chewy candy (which I why I don't keep it in the house).

To me, coffee is like pizza and free beer. Even if it's bad it's good. I've rarely found a coffee I couldn't drink and 99% of the time it's because they screwed up my order (black) by adding sugar and/or cream.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love a box of Timbits.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
As a kid growing up, and for most of my adult life, I lived on the border, right within sight of southern Ontario. Many of my friends' parents had immigrated from Canada, and in fact, some of my contemporaries had been born there. My wife's grandparents are Canadian. We had no cable tv in that area then, and two of the three broadcast stations we could get were Canadian. I always liked stopping at Timmy's for the sour cream donuts and the coffee was okay, probably my favorite fast food joint coffee.

Mathew 22: 37-39

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
[Linked Image from media.moddb.com]

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
When I go into town, I always stop at Jim Hortons. My favourite breakfast is a JimBits Sammich and a coffee.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like Tim Hortons chili more than anything else they sell. Coffee is acceptable.
My daughter lives in Florida and there are some things she likes us to bring down when we visit. Ketchup flavoured potato chips are one, Aero bars, Smarties. Stuff that I like from the other side include Squirt, Almond Joy bars, and Lava hand soap.
We moved to Taylor BC in 1957 and, at that time, there was very little crossover. I said goodbye to Kool Aid and all of my favourite breakfast cereals. As a kid, it was OK though and all a great adventure. Interestingly enough, the first Kentucky Fried Chicken I ever had was in Calgary, Alberta on one of our trips from Taylor B.C. to Potlatch, Idaho. There was no KFC in North Idaho or northern Wyoming, where we had lived prior to moving north. GD

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Originally Posted by wabigoon

wabigoon;
Good day to you my friend, I hope that you and your fine family are well.

Since we've been discussing stuff to get in Canada - should the borders reopen and folks be able to travel freely again, here's a bit of a list.

As mentioned in a thread on the regular forum, if you're stopping into a Canadian Tire to pick up the two pack of Redbird Strike Anywhere matches for $5, look for the big rack of Franks Chips which is a house brand now.

They have flavors such as All Dressed, Ketchup, Korean BBQ and Turkey Stuffing that you'll not find south of the medicine line. While I'm a longtime fan of the All Dressed, I've got to admit that Turkey Stuffing is battling hard for first place in the "most favored" status in the back seat of the pickup for "firewood day road snacks"

As well, one should really search out some of these if you're a cheese puff or Cheetos fan at all. Be prepared for something wonderful here folks.... wink

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Should your taste buds be more to the sweet than the savory, then might I suggest any of the following which are at most gas stations, one way or the other from the Hawkins Cheezies...

In no particular order - well okay my favorites first...

- Coffee Crisp - coffee flavored biscuit center thing - always a fine choice.

- Crispy Crunch - watch these on hot days as the chocolate will melt on one's fingers pretty fast - this would be a 70°F day sort of confection.

- Mr. Big - a layered vanilla wafer coated in caramel, peanuts, and rice crisps and covered in a chocolate coating

- Wunderbar - peanut butter center, chocolate outside.

- Caramilk - caramel sauce inside - again not a hot weather confection

- Smarties - rather like M&M's but definitely not the same. Live it up - do a side by side taste test.

- Big Turk - Turkish delight sort of thing, quite sweet - might need black coffee to offset the sweetness

- Aero bars - these come in all sorts of centers now. It's a bubbled chocolate that really melts in your mouth. They make a "high end" dark chocolate one that's really, really, really - well I like it...

- Bounty - my late Mom's favorite because of the coconut center. If you don't like coconut, you will not prefer this.

That's about it for the Canada foods and matches report this morning I believe.

Not that it's any more or less Canadian than Timmy's coffee - which I do drink on occasion when we're on the road. As un-Canadian as this might sound, in a side by side taste test I tend to prefer McDonald's blend of coffee rather than what Tim's has been serving the last few years.

Funny how I used to really like it and they swear they've not changed the formula so it must be my changing taste buds perhaps?

We'll try their new Dark Roast next time I make a trip into town, which isn't that often anymore truly and that's okay with me too you know?

All the best to you all this week.

Dwayne

Good evening Dwayne,
I hope all is well with you folks on the West side of the Rockies. Strange Winter weather, if can call temps as high as 10C on a regular basis Winter, we are having on the East side of the Rockies.
Great comprehensive list but you forgot one Winter staple: Habitant Pea Soup! Love the stuff, a couple of slices of cheese in the bottom of the bowl with
a ladle or 3 of soup on it. Add a handful of crushed crackers and there is supper!
My 2 cents anyway,
Jeff

Last edited by troutfly; 01/18/21. Reason: added content
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Did startups at two plants in Ontario. Used to know every Tim Horton's on 401 and 402 between Windsor/Sarnia and Elmira... Always first stop after we crossed the border. Medium double-double and two or three old fashioned donuts. Last stop in the morning before we went into the plant.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Consider a Hudson's Bay blanket?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The hockey stick, it could be added to our flag.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey, and for those that don't know...Tim was a Allstar NHL defenseman....I gotta say though, if I stop for a coffee at Tim's in town I must add a shot of espresso to give it some actual coffeeness.....but I am Italian.
If I don't , I cannot tell their coffee from their tea.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by comerade
Hey, and for those that don't know...Tim was a Allstar NHL defenseman....I gotta say though, if I stop for a coffee at Tim's in town I must add a shot of espresso to give it some actual coffeeness.....but I am Italian.
If I don't , I cannot tell their coffee from their tea.

Had a couple espressos at Cafe Tortoni at the insistance of my (Italian) host when I visited Buenos Aires... Laid awake looking at the ceiling of my hotel room until well past 3:00am....

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Depends, I am more of a Tims chocolate dip donuts type than the Starbucks carrot cake type.

Last edited by tangozulu; 01/24/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,783
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.