Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak
I had an early terra scope and almost certain it was chinese. I could be wrong...but im almost certain

yes, Chinese

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Every single Terra scope I have had or seen has been stamped "Japan"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Me too--and my first one was a VERY early 3-9x that Zeiss sent me for evaluation. I talked to them about at the SHOT Show when they introduced the Terra line, and it showed up at my home within a few weeks.

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x.. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/4" from 3x to 9x.

Maybe Zeiss started having later Terra scopes made in China, but the first were definitely from Japan.

They also sent me a 10x42 Terra binocular, which was made in China, and was pretty good.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/2" from 3x to 9x.

Those were my findings as well. The rendition of color -- at least to my eyes -- was slightly different, but the resolution in varied lighting conditions fully equaled the original Conquests.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Me too--and my first one was a VERY early 3-9x that Zeiss sent me for evaluation. I talked to them about at the SHOT Show when they introduced the Terra line, and it showed up at my home within a few weeks.

I ran extensive tests on that scope, comparing it in several ways to a European 3-9x Conquest, also one of the very early models. Everything from optics to adjustments to size was basically the same except eye relief. In the Euro-Conquest the ER only varied about 1/2" from 3x to 9x.. In the Japanese Terra it varied around 1-1/4" from 3x to 9x.

Maybe Zeiss started having later Terra scopes made in China, but the first were definitely from Japan.

They also sent me a 10x42 Terra binocular, which was made in China, and was pretty good.

So what happened to the line?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a 4X12, and all it's ever been on are a couple of 223's. Has always worked great for my use. Japan made too.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by hatari

I dunno about the line but I can tell you about that scope.....

JB sent it to me to try out...I did...

And gave it away as quickly as I could....POS that eye relief thing he mentioned was horrible.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by hatari

Apparently it didn't sell well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 2 terra 3x9x42 scopes. They are very serviceable for the type of hunting I do. I can honestly say since i mount all my own optics I likely encounter some eye relief issues with all my rifles at some point.

Since the fire is my source for all scope evaluations I guess my terras are my least desirable and would likely top any rifle I would gift to a young hunter looking to get started.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobbyTomek
Every single Terra scope I have had or seen has been stamped "Japan"

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Yeah, me too. But I haven't bought a Terra in a couple years. I was thinking Doug usually knows his chidt.. Hmm. Did they start making them in China?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have mine on a 300 win mag. Eye relief hasn't been a issue. I'm happy with it. The reticle works perfect. Entered in my loads to an online program Zeiss had. Was right on the money when I tested it

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I have a pair of Terra 10 X 42 binoculars and I think highly of them, not best of the best but on par with my old Zeiss Classics.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That was my experience as well.

Binoculars have made a VAST leap in quality versus price in the past 30 years. While a lot of people still insist that a used "Alpha" binocular is a better buy than any newer non-Alpha brand, that has not been my experience. Today there are better $500 to $700 binoculars than any Alpha brand offered 25 years ago.

John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We were auctioning a pair of Zeiss Terra binos at an RMEF banquet. Bidding went well over $500. The guy who won the bid came to the checkout table and rather loudly proclaimed he was not paying that for China binos. They had been on display out of the box for hours. I think he was preoccupied with barley pops....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased my first terra scope when they were first released, at $399.....years later I found myself needing a cheaper, serviceable scope and the terra had dropped to $239 at SW. That's when I picked up my 2nd terra, apparently zeiss was discontinuing the line. I keep all my scope packaging and both scopes are marked with "Japan".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 64 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,664
Posts18,455,763
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.