Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
heard there is a kind of deer hunting in australia were pointer dogs are used to track and find deer called indicater dogs. were they would not be allowed fordeer over here i heard of a few tranind to find fox and rabbits and one that would find dingos

Jonathan Henson
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It depends on where you are. Here in my home state it is perfectly legal to have a dog to find, point or flush deer, including where you are hunting legally on public land, but it must not be allowed to chase the deer. I've been out with a dog a fair few times, including my own Britts, a Weimaraner, an English Setter and others. I've never heard of them being called "indicator dogs", but I suppose that is their role.

In Victoria, you can also have dogs to find, point and flush, save that you con't take dogs into National Parks (though you can hunt deer there without dogs) and you can't go after hog deer with dogs. You can also have packs of hounds to find and push out sambar deer, to drive them towards posted shooters, but you have to have an endorsement on your licence and can only do it during the colder half of the year.

I can't speak for other states though - I've hunted deer in other states, but not with dogs, so never bothered to find out.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Wire hair are popular, though it is a select group in a niche endeavour.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
sorry gys i should have said i am from the states so deer hunting with dogs is almost outlawed in all but a handfull of the deep south states. i was intrested in the possblity of one being able to be trained on the game dogs can track here. so i was looking for anyone who knows how they are trained and if anyone has seen them hunt anything besides deer

Jonathan Henson
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You train them much the same way you'd train them to find birds. Get a bit of deer, like a hock, and teach them to find and point it, much the same way you might get a quail's wing and do the same. The dogs I've had or seen working didn't really need much teaching, other than the basics, and once they see you drop a deer (or quail, or duck) and get up on it to give it a good sniff while you act all excited and pleased with them, they soon get the, um, point

You can teach them to point foxes or other critters too, the same way.

I haven't yet seen a dog that will retrieve deer though

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don’t know about indicator dogs, but I use a calendar dog.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You train them much the same way you'd train them to find birds. Get a bit of deer, like a hock, and teach them to find and point it, much the same way you might get a quail's wing and do the same. The dogs I've had or seen working didn't really need much teaching, other than the basics, and once they see you drop a deer (or quail, or duck) and get up on it to give it a good sniff while you act all excited and pleased with them, they soon get the, um, point

You can teach them to point foxes or other critters too, the same way.

I haven't yet seen a dog that will retrieve deer though

cool thank you

Jonathan Henson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.