Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How much better are the entry and/or mid-level Sightron scopes than a Burris Fullfield II looking at 4x12, 4.5x14 size scopes. I'm a set and forget it guy not a knob twirler.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I’ve done some comparisons that may be of interest to you. I had to check my range notes for the date, but in April 2017, I did a blind "taste test" with 7 other shooters at public range. Time was between 1pm & 3pm and the visibility conditions were a slightly overcast day. Compared were a 5-year old Bushnell 3200 3x9, a 3-year old Sightron S-II 3x9, a new Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10, and new Burris Fullfield II 3x9. The scopes were mounted on rifles in rests with neoprene covers on the scopes, which were not removed until the “shooter” was in position behind the scope. The comparisons were predicated only on apparent image quality at 100-yards with individual initial focus at 9x followed by subsequent views at 6x & 3x. There was no tracking test or anything more scientific about the "tests". There were two images viewed, both black ink on white paper: one a large diamond target and the other a scope check chart with numbers and vertical/horizontal bars, that looks kind of like the old eye test chart. Of the seven shooters, three ranked the Sightron S-II first and the Bushnell 3200 second, two ranked the 3200 first and the S-II second, and two had S-II & the 3200 as virtual ties (which was also my conclusion). All of the seven, ranked the VX-3i third, closely followed by the Fullfield II, the major discriminator being eye relief rather than image quality. Verbal comments were that all agreed there was no practical difference between the S-II and the 3200 and all were surprised how well my $125 used-Fullfield II compared to the new Leupold VX-3i costing 2.5 times as much.

As an aside, two months before in February the same year, I did the same type comparison with same Bushell 3200, a 4-year old Bushnell 4200 3x9, and the previous model Leupold VX-3 3.5x10, having a AA serial# which I think makes is a 2014 model, and definitely NOT the new ‘improved’ model; according to notes visibility was “sunny with blue skies”. Of four shooters, three ranked the 4200 as best (as did I), and the other picked the VX-3; all picked the 3200 as third. According to notes, only one person was able to rank eye relief, in order VX-3, 4200, 3200 - the rest said there was no discernable difference. I mentioned this comparison only to give you additional scopes for which you can draw additional conclusions as to relative quality.
I think one conclusion that you could draw about all the above, mid-point to budget scopes, is that there’s not that much difference at 100-yards. Here in SC, 100-yards is probably the average shooting distance for most deer killed so long-range capability is not a primary consideration for most. A lot of the magazine reviews are tested only at 100-yards as well - granted, they also do more extensive tests to include tracking; but only a few tests that I’ve read actually tested scopes at the longer ranges. We’re fortunate here on the Campfire to have so many experienced long-range target and hunting shooter, especially those from the west and mid-west for whom shooting at ranges of 500-yards and beyond is common-place. Of course, I’ve done shooting/viewing at longer ranges than 100-yards but I haven’t had the opportunity to compare scopes side-by-side in that regard.

Back to the Burris 3x9: this is not only one of the best values going when affordability is a consideration, but also it is by far one the lightest-weight 3x9 scopes ( less than 14-oz) that you’ll find on the market today. You can get both the 3x9 & the 4.5x14 models in Plex and Ballistic Plex reticles; since you say you prefer NOT to adjust turrets, I would suggest the Ballistic Plex. I have both and I think you’ll find the Ballistic Plex the best for you; it has (3) extra-fine dots in addition to the cross-hair that you can apply additional range settings. I have14 rifles, plus currently putting together 4 more for grandkids, and I’m retired unlike many on here, I really can’t afford to spend $500 or more for every new rig I build. I just built three Christmas rifles for new shooters - all with Fullfield II 3x9’s and I also bought myself one for a lightweight 6.5x55 I’m building.

I have never viewed a Sightron S-I so I can’t tell you how it compares to the Burris Fullfield II but rest assured I would have no qualms about shooting the Burris Fullfield II on any of the same rifles that I currently have a Bushnell 3200, a Sightron S-II, or a Leupold VX-3i (if I had one). I do have a Sightron S-II 4x16 that I’m pleased with but have not had the opportunity to compare with other scopes.

I hope this helps – at least in comparative generalities - I’m sure others can give you more specifics with the same brands of scopes in the magnifications between 4x & 16 that you’re most interested in.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Ive got USA Burris scopes and one of their so called tactical versions in 3x15 with34mm tube. I recently picked up a Sightron 2.5-10x32 STAC series with 30 mm tube. I can say that the newer Burris and Sightron optics i have are made in Phillipines. In construction they look very, very similar. Optical quality looking thru them is pretty decent but ive yet to put the Sightron to use as i just recently aquired it.

Im both a reticle user and twirler and adjuster of target knobs so im good to go either way. The STAC Sightron can be adjustednon the knobs if wanted but they are capped and low profile. My particular specimen has MOA valued substensions in the BDC reticle explained in the insteuctions. This optic runs $299. I will build some data for it an use it on a 270 win.

If your a set it and forget it type of person theres also an offering from Primary Arms called the Orion with ballistic holds and even MIL indicators built into the reticle. Once you use it and verify the aiming points to a particular rifle and load its quite fast. Theres plenty of videos on it and it 4x14 power.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
I’ve done some comparisons that may be of interest to you. I had to check my range notes for the date, but in April 2017, I did a blind "taste test" with 7 other shooters at public range. Time was between 1pm & 3pm and the visibility conditions were a slightly overcast day. Compared were a 5-year old Bushnell 3200 3x9, a 3-year old Sightron S-II 3x9, a new Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10, and new Burris Fullfield II 3x9. The scopes were mounted on rifles in rests with neoprene covers on the scopes, which were not removed until the “shooter” was in position behind the scope. The comparisons were predicated only on apparent image quality at 100-yards with individual initial focus at 9x followed by subsequent views at 6x & 3x. There was no tracking test or anything more scientific about the "tests". There were two images viewed, both black ink on white paper: one a large diamond target and the other a scope check chart with numbers and vertical/horizontal bars, that looks kind of like the old eye test chart. Of the seven shooters, three ranked the Sightron S-II first and the Bushnell 3200 second, two ranked the 3200 first and the S-II second, and two had S-II & the 3200 as virtual ties (which was also my conclusion). All of the seven, ranked the VX-3i third, closely followed by the Fullfield II, the major discriminator being eye relief rather than image quality. Verbal comments were that all agreed there was no practical difference between the S-II and the 3200 and all were surprised how well my $125 used-Fullfield II compared to the new Leupold VX-3i costing 2.5 times as much.

As an aside, two months before in February the same year, I did the same type comparison with same Bushell 3200, a 4-year old Bushnell 4200 3x9, and the previous model Leupold VX-3 3.5x10, having a AA serial# which I think makes is a 2014 model, and definitely NOT the new ‘improved’ model; according to notes visibility was “sunny with blue skies”. Of four shooters, three ranked the 4200 as best (as did I), and the other picked the VX-3; all picked the 3200 as third. According to notes, only one person was able to rank eye relief, in order VX-3, 4200, 3200 - the rest said there was no discernable difference. I mentioned this comparison only to give you additional scopes for which you can draw additional conclusions as to relative quality.
I think one conclusion that you could draw about all the above, mid-point to budget scopes, is that there’s not that much difference at 100-yards. Here in SC, 100-yards is probably the average shooting distance for most deer killed so long-range capability is not a primary consideration for most. A lot of the magazine reviews are tested only at 100-yards as well - granted, they also do more extensive tests to include tracking; but only a few tests that I’ve read actually tested scopes at the longer ranges. We’re fortunate here on the Campfire to have so many experienced long-range target and hunting shooter, especially those from the west and mid-west for whom shooting at ranges of 500-yards and beyond is common-place. Of course, I’ve done shooting/viewing at longer ranges than 100-yards but I haven’t had the opportunity to compare scopes side-by-side in that regard.

Back to the Burris 3x9: this is not only one of the best values going when affordability is a consideration, but also it is by far one the lightest-weight 3x9 scopes ( less than 14-oz) that you’ll find on the market today. You can get both the 3x9 & the 4.5x14 models in Plex and Ballistic Plex reticles; since you say you prefer NOT to adjust turrets, I would suggest the Ballistic Plex. I have both and I think you’ll find the Ballistic Plex the best for you; it has (3) extra-fine dots in addition to the cross-hair that you can apply additional range settings. I have14 rifles, plus currently putting together 4 more for grandkids, and I’m retired unlike many on here, I really can’t afford to spend $500 or more for every new rig I build. I just built three Christmas rifles for new shooters - all with Fullfield II 3x9’s and I also bought myself one for a lightweight 6.5x55 I’m building.

I have never viewed a Sightron S-I so I can’t tell you how it compares to the Burris Fullfield II but rest assured I would have no qualms about shooting the Burris Fullfield II on any of the same rifles that I currently have a Bushnell 3200, a Sightron S-II, or a Leupold VX-3i (if I had one). I do have a Sightron S-II 4x16 that I’m pleased with but have not had the opportunity to compare with other scopes.

I hope this helps – at least in comparative generalities - I’m sure others can give you more specifics with the same brands of scopes in the magnifications between 4x & 16 that you’re most interested in.

Good comparisons and post. I can see that happening the way you stated. Having had all of the scopes mentioned. I also agree with you about the ballistic plex reticle. The Burris FFII is not the best scope, but for the money, it is the best. It is a sub $200.00 scope and it sure does get the job done. My preference for a great all around hunting scope is the 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Again, great comparisons. I'm sure the op will really appreciate your post. Those dang older Elite series rifle scopes are hard to beat too, I've used them a lot in the past, but always went back to the Burris because of the ballistic plex reticle. I believe the newer Elite 3500/4500 have a similar reticle (DOA 600), but at a premium cost over the Burris. Those scopes have better glass and rainguard coating as well, but it still brings up the question, is it worth the extra cost? On most of my hunting rifles, this is how I fly:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys. I bought a Burris FFII 4.5x14 for about $185 w/tax out the door earlier in the week for a rifle. I have a number of older B&L 3200, Redfields(Denver), Leupold VX2, a couple of older Sightrons, etc. As several of you have said I was impressed for the money a lot. I've got another rifle to scope and had found a used Sightron 4x16, used about $140 more than a FF II. I've got to go by the gun shop today, Most of my shots are 60-75 yards with 150 being a Long shot. If he has another Ballistic Plex seems like the way to go. I'm only wanting any magnification above about 9x for time at the range.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Offshoreman

Good comparisons and post. I can see that happening the way you stated. Having had all of the scopes mentioned. I also agree with you about the ballistic plex reticle. The Burris FFII is not the best scope, but for the money, it is the best. It is a sub $200.00 scope and it sure does get the job done. My preference for a great all around hunting scope is the 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle. Again, great comparisons. I'm sure the op will really appreciate your post. Those dang older Elite series rifle scopes are hard to beat too, I've used them a lot in the past, but always went back to the Burris because of the ballistic plex reticle. I believe the newer Elite 3500/4500 have a similar reticle (DOA 600), but at a premium cost over the Burris. Those scopes have better glass and rainguard coating as well, but it still brings up the question, is it worth the extra cost? On most of my hunting rifles, this is how I fly:

Offshoreman, good test. I'll add to retest the scopes at dusk if you ever hunt low light. Some glass has good clarity but poor light transmission.

bsa1917hunter, the DOA600 reticle has long and skinny lines. It is very distracting compared to the Burris Ballistic Plex with the thicker reticle and less distracting hold marks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had an SII 3-12x42 and have a 3-9 and a fixed 6x Fullfield.

I was excited about the Sightron but in hunting conditions it was all but unusable. An awful tire ring effect. I heard others report same for this particular model only so I would consider a different model.

It was bright clear and its adjustments were just great, superior to the Burris which are a bit mushy but work.

I have no problem with eye relief on the Burris and the prices on them are certainly a draw. I found my variable Burris every bit the scope my VX3 is in even the lowest of light conditions. We tested side by side well into dark.

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/21/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

653 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,701
Posts18,456,774
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.