Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Tell me about Salomons....any good?

I wont spend a fortune, so have stuck with Merrell and Columbia. Currently have Merrell Moab, Moab2, Moab Vent...... gotta say not a fan of Merrell. Wide toe box just a bit too wide, outsole not near as grippy as Columbias(have probably 5 different pairs) and the Merrells feel like they just dont provide enough side support....im talking all lows here, no mids...but I find the Columbias much more "stiff" and supportive.

Columbias are, well, cheap. They dont last. Like I said, love the design of the outsoles, but they fall apart.

I need something with an outsole as aggressive as the one on the left, Goretex, good arch.....I hear Salomons are good, opinions?

BTW, these are all rarely worn. These particular ones, though I love the outsole on the left, hurt my feet on first hike so they sit.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Columbia Beartooth’s on the left are some of the best hiking shoes that I’ve ever had. I loved everything about em’, especially the soles. They were very comfortable to me, whether I was on rock (and those soles were grippy on rock) or whether I was doing rim to river to rim in Grand Canyon. Loved em’. I wish they still made em’. My Moab Vent’s are a piece of crap...for what I do, they’re not a good performer at all. The soles are soft and they’re not tacky at all...plus they hurt my feet, especially on long treks.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got the salamon ultra and are good. I can go on a 16 mile hike and my feet feel pretty good afterwards. Salamon seem to make there shoes a shade bigger than most. There not bad for trail running arches dont hurt like in other shoes.

Only downside with goretex in any shoe is your feet feel clammy after awhile, you can change your socks to help.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
Those Columbia Beartooth’s on the left are some of the best hiking shoes that I’ve ever had.....

Those on the left are actually Granite Ridge. Great outsole, pos overall though. The Beartooths actually have an outsole almost like the middle shoe.

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gutthooked

Only downside with goretex in any shoe is your feet feel clammy after awhile, you can change your socks to help.

I dont wear goretex once the temps hit mid 60s or so, they do "trap" moisture and ill end up with blisters. So I usually hve multiple pair for different seasons goretex/no goretex.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a pair of Salomon trail shoes. I wore them as everyday work shoes, but never hiked in them. They are made well and lasted me about 8 months before the soles were worn out. I would purchase again if the need arose.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Heard good things about the Salomon's other than they are Chinese mfg I believe.

Other than out of the box comfort, the Merrills did not hold up well for me and were squishy on the trail.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pahick
The Beartooths actually have an outsole almost like the middle shoe.
I’ve got two pair of Beartooth’s presently. One has the all leather upper, and the other has combination suede and cloth upper...both pair have soles exactly like the shoe on the left in the picture.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barefoot?

Or moccasins work for me

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

All humor aside, I'm following this thread for interest in what might work for days I can't get by with my two favorite options.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antlers
The Beartooths actually have an outsole almost like the middle shoe.
I’ve got two pair of Beartooth’s presently. One has the all leather upper, and the other has combination suede and cloth upper...both pair have soles exactly like the shoe on the left in the picture.

Hmm, thats odd. Maybe not so...its Columbia. They seem to throw stuff together quick and change styles every month. Ive never seen the Beartooths in that config.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do have a pair of Salomon hikers and a pair of Salomon trailer runners. They’re OK, but neither suited me like the Beartooth’s. The Moab Vent’s have been a disappointment.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

That’s the shoe I had.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salomon is what I see most of the AT thru hikers wearing. 4-5 pairs from Georgia to Maine IIRC.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Run the same shoe you run everywhere else.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think Solomon are headquartered in France, they should know a thing or two about running shoes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I think Solomon are headquartered in France, they should know a thing or two about running shoes.

They call them “retreat shoes”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave

No. Im not fond of injury or buying standard running shoes every 3 months.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

No. Im not fond of injury or buying standard running shoes every 3 months.

OK

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have right-foot soreness at times.

I walk/hike in my Zamberlan boots about 35 miles per week, and my feet feel fine.

I have these Salomon hiking shoes:
https://www.salomon.com/en-us/shop/product/x-ultra-3-gtxr.html#color=10098

I can’t walk long distances in them without my right foot feeling like it’s broken. It’s probably because of the thinness of the sole. I even put a good extra insole in them, but that doesn’t help for some reason.

As an aside, a couple of hears ago, I started mostly going on long, 5-mile, hikes/walks everyday for lower-body exercise. Up until then, I loved the Salomon hiking boots, but they all start squeaking once I put over 60-90 miles on them or so. And that drives me crazy. So, I’ve already bought my last Salomon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

617 members (2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.