Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
pleas lets keep this clean but i have heard acounts in the nordic counters beaver can be hunted as well as traped i have always been curiose how the hunting was done.i heard one way from swedan was to use a dog to find the dens then put a nest above and belowe the den and use a terrire to drive them out into the nets to be club or speared

Jonathan Henson
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Ah just shoot em, evening hunts esp spring, fall. Sitting in the sun is the most fun.
Or the more common swimming from here to there, very simple. Night time is even better.
Don't over think it. Be careful, in the spring you can wipe em out, unless that's what you want.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I get a permit from the DNR every year to use any way I want to get rid of the beavers....usually bust the dam in late afternoon come back at dusk and shoot them with a suppressed 22 lr....a shotgun with #4 buckshot works great but a little loud....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shoot them to stop property damage.

Shoot the last hour of the day and into night when they come out to patrol.

Open the dam to bring them in. They sense water flow, water level dropping, and water sound.

Open the dam early in the day if water drainage is a goal because they do not repair them in the daytime,

Get a high elevation stand to shoot down onto them. Bigger target.

I find a the water takes a lot of energy out of a bullet so I use something bigger than 22 LR. 22 mag or hornet, are perfect if trying to keep noise down,
Buck shot works if your gun patterns well, but I found a tight choke with #2 shot is good when you're standing on shore. Its a head shot so a turkey gun mindset would work.

A fishing rod would be handy for retrieval. You have to hit them hard and perfect to get a good floater.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
perfect summary above.That's what i do.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My brother belonged to a private club that had a very nice clubhouse located on a pretty little lake. They got the bright idea to have some landscaping done around the clubhouse. They had some relatively large, expensive, decorative trees moved to the lawn. A colony of nearby beavers thought "meals-on-wheels" had been brought to their neighborhood. The trees were apparently a real beaver delicacy and they attacked them with gusto. This resulted in complaints from the wealthy folks who paid for the landscaping and they wanted something done...soon. The board of directors appointed my brother and another intrepid soul, who were junior members of the board, to foil the offending rodents. They took a multiple pronged approach. First, they tried steel cribbing wrapped 'round the trees and quickly learned that beavers weren't stupid and just pulled the wire from the trees. Cage traps were a waste of time and money. Next, they tried chemical warfare with a beaver repellant which seemed to not only attract the beavers but also make them horny...as witnessed in some videos. Some prickly raspberry bushes were planted around the trees and seemed to work. But, the lawnmowing crew threatened to quit if they had to trim around the raspberries. By the next spring, most of the protected trees were damaged in some way and everybody was unhappy - except the beavers. My brother and the other BOD member decided that the solution, and some measure of revenge, would be to kill the damn critters, in a personal and bloody manner. Blowing them away with shotguns after the club closed would be just the ticket. They set up in tactically chosen spots loaded for bear - or beaver - with buckshot and flashlights. Along about 2:00 a.m.. on a bright moonlit night, the buddy touched off a 3" magnum of #4 buckshot and yelled, "I got one of the bastards!" Taking their flashlights they approached what appeared to be a small and anorexic beaver. They had killed the groundskeeper's housecat.

At the next board of directors meeting, my brother resigned.

True story - mostly - names were changed to protect me!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
A number of years ago, beaver started building a feedbed in the slip of my boathouse, and were denning in the cribs under the docks. This was in far northern NY, actually right across the water from Ontario. Anyway, NY has laws about what you may or may not do with beaver, so I asked the local supervising game warden what I should do about them. (We were kids in school together, known him forever.) He said, "Don't talk to me about beaver. You know how to handle beaver." I shot a number of beaver after that. I've shot a lot of them with a .22 LR (head shots when they're swimming), a number of them with a .44 mag revolver, some with a .25-20 and at least one I can recall with a 10mm Glock (It's what I had on me at the time.)

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've used rifles in 22lr, 22 Hornet, and 223 rem. They all work, but I think the Hornet is just about optimal. Next I want to try tannerite.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I've used rifles in 22lr, 22 Hornet, and 223 rem. They all work, but I think the Hornet is just about optimal. Next I want to try tannerite.

Easiest way to open a dam short of dynamite.....tannerite.....easy to get over the counter.....

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I used to do a fair bit of beaver trapping and always took along a scoped 22 rifle to shoot any that I saw, usually in the evening while setting traps. A precision shot near the ear did the trick and then retrieving the kill could get a bit inconvenient but made for good laughs with the guys later on. I usually shot about a third as many as I trapped. One of the more enjoyable pass times I ever had.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
My brother belonged to a private club that had a very nice clubhouse located on a pretty little lake. They got the bright idea to have some landscaping done around the clubhouse. They had some relatively large, expensive, decorative trees moved to the lawn. A colony of nearby beavers thought "meals-on-wheels" had been brought to their neighborhood. The trees were apparently a real beaver delicacy and they attacked them with gusto. This resulted in complaints from the wealthy folks who paid for the landscaping and they wanted something done...soon. The board of directors appointed my brother and another intrepid soul, who were junior members of the board, to foil the offending rodents. They took a multiple pronged approach. First, they tried steel cribbing wrapped 'round the trees and quickly learned that beavers weren't stupid and just pulled the wire from the trees. Cage traps were a waste of time and money. Next, they tried chemical warfare with a beaver repellant which seemed to not only attract the beavers but also make them horny...as witnessed in some videos. Some prickly raspberry bushes were planted around the trees and seemed to work. But, the lawnmowing crew threatened to quit if they had to trim around the raspberries. By the next spring, most of the protected trees were damaged in some way and everybody was unhappy - except the beavers. My brother and the other BOD member decided that the solution, and some measure of revenge, would be to kill the damn critters, in a personal and bloody manner. Blowing them away with shotguns after the club closed would be just the ticket. They set up in tactically chosen spots loaded for bear - or beaver - with buckshot and flashlights. Along about 2:00 a.m.. on a bright moonlit night, the buddy touched off a 3" magnum of #4 buckshot and yelled, "I got one of the bastards!" Taking their flashlights they approached what appeared to be a small and anorexic beaver. They had killed the groundskeeper's housecat.

At the next board of directors meeting, my brother resigned.

True story - mostly - names were changed to protect me!

Yep, I'd tell about not being able to tell between a cat and a beaver. Some people shouldn't be out in the woods. Period.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A local agency guy needs to do control when they begin plugging culverts and flooding roads hereabouts. Says they are oblivious to lights at night when he's taken 7 or 8 from a stand beside a single culvert.

Cookie caught this one a couple evenings after he thought he had the family cleaned out.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Only beaver shot I'm allowed to keep on this machine.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/27/21.

1Minute
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I have broken dams to hunt them. Don't shoot the first one that is the scout. It will go back and get some buddies to help then you shoot.
I caught a big female in a trap one time in a river and.she wasn't drowned. I ended up shooting 2 of her kits and a couple of grown ones when I ran the boat up to her. I didn't recover them but They just popped up and I kept shooting them in the head close by. I guess she was in heat. Never had that happen again.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been a while, but used to love it!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I sometimes shoot them here on the farm at night. Game warden gave me a depreciation permit for hunting at night with a light. I usually use a 223. They cause me lots of problems, so I shoot everyone I can. I often dig a hole in their dam early in the morning so water can run all day. Just before sundown I set a light that throws the beam over the hole and the water just in front of the hole. They usually come to do repairs as soon as it gets dark.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
More beaver shots!!

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jonboy900
pleas lets keep this clean but i have heard acounts in the nordic counters beaver can be hunted as well as traped i have always been curiose how the hunting was done.i heard one way from swedan was to use a dog to find the dens then put a nest above and belowe the den and use a terrire to drive them out into the nets to be club or speared

I can't believe a kid in Manchester, KY doesn't know how to snuff out beavers...

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

I can't believe a kid in Manchester, KY doesn't know how to snuff out beavers...

I bet Richie Farmer could teach him how to.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

First, he must master spelling.A seemingly insurmountable task.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I took a trip on the Danube River and was surprised to see beaver cuttings along the shore as I had thought the European beaver was extinct. I understand that there were some still in the Danube delta and have since repopulated the river system.

I used to trap beaver a lot for both the WI and MN DNR. For 20 yrs after I left that country my dad would get calls for me to come out and trap some troublesome beaver.

They are very good eating, the meat is a lot like beef and we would make a lot of jerky(cut thin peppered and hung over the campfire) from it and the livers are huge for the critters size and is very mild like calves liver, beaver camp breakfast was fried liver onions and eggs.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I got a neighbor, at our P. A. Hunt camp trapping them down by the Conneaut Creak, on the back of our property!
He does well and we let him have at it, at his own pace and leisure!
Good guy!

Last edited by HunterShooter58; 12/14/21.

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ingwe

First, he must master spelling.A seemingly insurmountable task.

Well, the spelling looks about right for Clay County.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There fun to watch work!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Very efficient little critters

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
More beaver shots!!

He had me right up til pleas lets keep this clean.

LOL
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
We trap and shoot them on a small winding river that runs past my trapping/hunting shack. We get 30 bucks per tail for bounty, 100 bucks or so a pound for castors then use the carcasses for bear bait, then snare and shoot the bears. grin No limit on snared bears in my area.

Typically we'll keep between a few Belisle 330s out using H frame stands, and shoot between traps and on the boat ride back. Number of traps varies with how fast the bears are eating them. Rifles are whatever I feel like shooting and sighting for 50 yards. Bullets are usually NBTs or Bergers, something fragible at close range. Most shots are swimming; but more than a few are sunning themselves on the banks. It's not a money maker, but 70 to 100 a spring pays for lots of outboard gas, a semi annual order of commercially supplied bear bait, and a new rifle or chainsaw once in a while.

A key tool is a salt water gaff. Grabbing a moving beaver from a moving boat in running water isn't as easy as it sounds. Keeping a grip is even harder.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
24/7/365 and I like the ones that can cook as well as clean too.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, we all know the jokes, though now days a little less ‘fur’.

Traps work best of course, in some areas the only ‘legal’ method. Then we get to nuisance beavers, no closed season, no illegal methods.

In the Spring beavers come out more in the daytime, checking out things. At that time, I like a 17 HMR or a 223.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
642 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.