Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Love to have you along Gunner. Still a couple of spots open for Jun and can add a 5th to the Aug go.

Understand, the WuFlu caused "unknowns" regarding travel and such have a lot of people a bit anxious/nervous about committing to any trips at all to anywhere outside the US. Completely understandable!

Gerhard fully understands this as well as do I. That's why I've put enough money upfront with him to secure these prime, dark of the moon dates and someone who just makes a "commitment" now, doesn't have to put any money out of pocket at this time. Once we get to within the 90-100 day window for departure and/or airline tickets purchased, then you'd have to send your "deposit" to him to lock in your trip.

So, what happens if everything goes to hell with international travel, boarders again between now and time to send your deposit - nothing. What happens if things go to hell between the time you wire your deposit and the day we arrive - just like happened with the two groups I had planned for 2020. Deposits just rolled to this year and used them to lock in for 2021.

Know a number of folks will be attending the "Big Shows" in Jan-Mar, if they don't cancel. I had word from Gerhard yesterday they won't be attending the Houston DSC show this Feb as originally planned. With being completely shut down for the entire 2020 hunting season and having to front BIG MONEY to purchase the DG concessions a month before the world closed travel, it's just not to feasible to make the trip. Too, they do have a lot of bookings that have been rolled from 2020 to 2021 so not a lot of need make the trip.

So, with all that said.......we're about 6-months away from the 1st trip.

BP-B2

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Tag

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
227 Days to Wheels up for the August Trip. Am self medicating the TWITCH! with regular dose of BAIN's and or various Single Malts....

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Hey good morning do you have any information on the outfitter I can go to the website I may be interested

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Morning Bill - I do. He just finished redoing his entire website and got it back on-line a few weeks ago.

http://kochsafaris.com/

Koch Safaris

Have been messaging with Gerhard over the holidays and things are still on. Country is "open" to international tourists/hunters and flights are starting to come back too, though still a bit limited. Capacity (flights) will be added as demand grows.

As I've stated above, no money required now, as I've got money on deposit to secure/lock in the dates. We MAY have to slide a the dates a day or two earlier/later to be able to sort out the flights. We should be able to lock in tickets 90-100 days before departure. Once that commitment is made, that is when those going would need to send him the deposit to lock in your spot.

Still spots available for both trips and if anyone can't make those dates, your free to contact Gerhard directly and see what he has open outside those dates. I'll still help you sort out paperwork/documents and with flights, but just won't be able to travel with you or your group.

As always, feel free to contact me or Gerhard directly with questions. The above "packages" are just the most frequent ones he does, but he is willing to customize them by exchanging culls for trophies or trophies for culls etc. Will even put together a totally customized hunt for you to your desires.

Can always PM me to request my phone number we can chat about any questions you may have or I can provide Gerhard's mobile number and you can call or message him via Whatsapp directly.

Michael

Edited to Add: PM me your email address and I can send you a short video of our Jun 2019 trip.

Last edited by M3taco; 01/03/21.
IC B2

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
By the way, there are at least two members of this forum who've hunted with Gerhard on Sass Post and both of them are going back on the Jun and Aug trips.

They are: Autofire and GDSTX. Pretty sure if you ask them, they'll be glad to fill you in on Bots, Gerhard and his ops in/around Sass Post.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m thinking of taking my son for his high school graduation present in 2023. I’ll have to think hard on what we want to do and animals we want.

Roy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
195 to go.....

I have "CDO". It is just like "OCD" except the letters are in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE!
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've been messaging with Gerhard this morning and want to give some updates on the June trip.

1. This kind of needs to be the "final call" over the next week or so for anyone who might still want to make the June trip. The good news is that PG and DG bookings are happening pretty rapidly all over the country. Unlike a lot of other countries, there are not a lot of "free lance" PH's so, Gerhard needs to start locking in ones who are familiar with the property fairly soon.

2. COVID situation - As of RIGHT NOW, the country is open. They do have a night time travel curfew and no alcohol sales. Can still bring in your own. They do require a negative Covid test when you arrive, and they also do a "rapid test" when you arrive. You'll also have to have a negative test before you get on the flights going over and coming home. Again, the rapid test IS available inside the airport terminal in Gaborone. From what I understand, the tests are also available inside all US International terminals if you don't or can't get within 48hrs of departure. A current or proof of a COVID vaccination is NOT required to enter Botswana or on the international airlines to get there.

3. Airlines and routes. As of NOW, there are very limited routes/ways/airlines available to get there. In the last few days, Delta had even CNX'd it's daily to Jberg. That leaves Qatar Air from several US airports, to Doha Qatar and then to Jberg and in on the same plane or a change of plane to Air Botswana or SA Airlink.

Next options are Emirates or Ethiopian Air. They do offer direct and semi direct flts into Gaborone but only once a week. They do offer daily service into Jberg and then tranfer to Air Bots or SA Airlink.

As of now, you will have to wear a face mask while on the flight unless eating or drinking.

4. Transiting Jberg - as of NOW, US travelers can trans thru Jberg and back to the US. You can even stay over-night in Jberg to make connections as long as you have a recent negative COVID test. US citizens can re-enter the US from RSA again, provided you have a current negative COVID test. Rapid COVID testing is available inside the terminal in Jberg. From what I was told by a travel agent two days ago, even IF you've had a COVID vaccination, you still have to have a negative test and fly with a mask.

I've been researching the flight possibilities for the last few days. From what I have found, it would appear that Qatar Air, is offering the most US airport options and the best prices. They all will route via an overnight flt from the US to the Qatari capital city of Doha and then connecting onward to Jberg and then either on the same plane into Botswana or a change of carrier into Gaborone. The layover in Doha will vary, depending on what US city you depart/return.

I spent a good bit of time in Qatar and Doha when I was on active duty. Doha is where HQ USCENTOM has it's forward HQ based out of. The country is safe, the city is beautiful and the terminal is spectacular. Depending on the length of layover and the class of ticket, you can opt for a hotel room inside the terminal or a few minutes away from the terminal or just a few hours in one of the lounges with food, drinks and showers included.

I'm still planning to go to Bots this Apr and tag along with Gerhard and Jaco for their elephant hunts. I haven't booked the tickets yet as there are a few moving parts to sort out. Once those are locked, I'll book my tickets and they will be on Qatar Air out of Houston.

Still a spot available for the June and Aug trips.

Last edited by M3taco; 02/07/21.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
This hunting trip sounds awesome, but I cannot afford it. I wish I could, I smell big fun.

IC B3

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Vortex - no worries and looks like you're interested enough to join the site!! grin

I plan on doing at LEAST one of these small group trips to Bots every year and maybe a small group of one or two more hunters to my friend's place in NW Namibia. Might do more if there is enough interest. And of course, anyone can go anytime they can sort out dates with Gerhard in the Tuli block or with Jaco at his place near Ghanzi. I'll still help with the planning and paperwork and airline routes and airlines but, may not be able to travel with.

As I've mentioned, I've run across a LOT of guys who've always dreamed of an African safari but didn't have anyone to go with them and going the first time alone can be a pretty daunting undertaking. By putting together a small group like this, it opens up possibilities for the "first timer" to get their "first one" under their belts.

I met a retired gentleman at a gunshow several years ago who'd always dreamed of going but, as above, had nobody to go with. I told him, "you do now". He asked if I was serious and I told him absolutely. All you need to do is tell me when you want to go, have a passport and at least a 308 Win or better rifle and, as they say in Africa, "we'll make a plan". He set dates, had the rifle and passport and 4 months later he was hunting in NW Namibia and had a terrific time.

Last edited by M3taco; 02/07/21.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You don’t even need the rifle. I have used camp rifles for the last 10 safaris...A lot less hassle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
140 days, twitch twitch twitch twitch.....

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm with ya Kevin!!!

There is still one spot open if someone wants to join. Getting a little tight but, as long as you have a current passport in hand with at least 6-months of validity from the day we leave and at least 6-blank pages in the back, you can make it.

PM me you email address and I'll send you a little video they did of our Jun 2019 trip so you can see what the place looks like.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Quick update:

Three of us have tickets bought for this June's trip and one more confirmed going and just sorting out what route he wants to take. Could still take one more but, time is tight.

Two of us have tickets bought for this August's trip, a third committed to going and could still take one or two more.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Still one spot open for the this June but inside the 60-day window so "time is of the essence" if someone wants to still try and go. IF you don't want to travel on your own, my travel agent could probably still get you a ticket to meet up with me in Boston and over to Bots on Qatar Air or you could meet up on the gentleman from Houston who's been to Africa a number of times and to Gerhards several too and go with him, again via Qatar Air.

he Aug trip is now full.

Anyone who'd like to go on their own is more that welcome to contact Gerhard directly and sort out dates and details. I'll still help you with the travel planning/routing and airlines info as well as the rifle import documents etc. He still has some openings in July. If you want to try and sort something out with him for then, the dark moon dates for July are 6-15.

I'll be putting together at least one or maybe two more similar trips like this for next year and anticipate the same months, dark of the moon of June and/or Aug depending on interest and which month fits best in their schedule.

I'd also like to put together a similar trip to my friend's place in Namibia in 2022. He only has one bungalow with two private guest rooms with ensuite private bathrooms, so would be limited to just two hunters or up to four if willing to share a room with separate full size beds.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Michael
Sent a PM. Please respond.
R

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
R - PM replied to.

Michael

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Wanted to pass a quick up-date to some hunting at Koch Safaris so far.

1. A friend of mine, Perry B., was going to be in Malawi for some conferences and had a week break between sessions. He wanted to know if I could sort something out with Gerhard on a short notice (3 weeks) PG cull trip for him. Sure. Got the dates locked and Gerhard put together a 5-day, 1x1 cull package of 5 impala and 5 blue w/b. Included road transfer to/from the airport, rental rifle and ammo normal food and drinks and a half day trip to Mahalapye and back to for the Rona test to fly back to Malawi. I "think" it was all in for under $3500. I sent the following WhatsApp message to him,

"Glad you're having a good time! Was I exaggerating? 🤪 You'll have to give me a detailed SITREP while you're in Malawi since we leave for Saas Post on 2 Jun."

His reply: "No, you were not exaggerating! Very nice setup. Had COVID test this morning. Now headed out for an afternoon session. I want to come back with you next year for a full hunt, so save a spot for me!"

He's busy with the conference stuff now but, I will post up what he sends me when he gets back home, including some pics.

2. Gerhard has an elephant client in CT27. That is the concession they have on the far N. end of the his place in the Tuli. I think I posted above about the hunts there and the "expectation" was for 25-45 lb ivory. Well.. the photo he sent me this morning of the ele they took yesterday was in the 70 lb class. Still green/wet so have to wait until the nerve dries out to see what it ends up being. I asked if I could post the photo if I cropped out the client's face and he asked me to wait as he has a second client with him and he doesn't want to jinx his luck. It really is a damn fine animal for anywhere in Africa. I will post when I have permission.

M
M3taco Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Another Update:

Another member of the same hunters with Gerhard that just took that really nice elephant above, took a really nice leopard. Was send photos but asked not to post until their trip is over.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
814 members (1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 007FJ, 84 invisible), 3,240 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,710
Posts18,400,186
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.