Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
IT's spelled:

"C" eh, "N" eh "D" eh

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Part of obama the Failed Forgotten's "57 states"??

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
IT's spelled:

"C" eh, "N" eh "D" eh

When I first heard this it was titled "How did Canada get it's name?"

The story goes that when they formed the country the people couldn't agree on a name. So they invited the Queen over, they put all of the letters of the alphabet in a jar for the Queen to pick out a name. So she starts picking out the letters: "C" eh, "N" eh, "D" eh and they got CANADA. grin

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IT's spelled:

"C" eh, "N" eh "D" eh

Bugger;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day was a decent one for you and all who mean anything to you are well.

It may, or conversely may not, be of interest to you or other members from south of the medicine line to know that there's definitely differences in Canadian accents, though I'd say somewhat less pronounced than say Boston vs Dallas for instance.

It's not unusual for my relatives from the flatlands to suggest that I've developed a BC "accent" where we tend to talk a tad slower, seldom use "eh" and have a few words that they'll laugh at.

In the same way folks from Ontario pronounce "car" differently than the prairie folk and certainly those of us who've been on this side of the big hills for any length of time.

That all taken into account then, it's likely more of a central Canadian spelling of Canada and less of a west coast one.

Anyways, like a few things lately, it's more something to talk/type about than anything else, so thanks kindly for the diversion.

All the best to you folks.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i was taking courses with a newfie once, could barely understand him

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BC30cal
IT's spelled:

"C" eh, "N" eh "D" eh

Bugger;
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day was a decent one for you and all who mean anything to you are well.

It may, or conversely may not, be of interest to you or other members from south of the medicine line to know that there's definitely differences in Canadian accents, though I'd say somewhat less pronounced than say Boston vs Dallas for instance.

All the best to you folks.

Dwayne

True Dwayne! And there are even subtle differences within regions of provinces. I first noticed this in ranger college when i'd be at the front of the lab and folks i knew who they were and where they were from were talking behind me. People from central Ontario sounding the same, and very different from people from the deep south of Ontario, who also sounded the same.

Lately i have been thinking just how different people from B.C. are from Albertans. In speech, in attitudes, even in the energy they give off. It's something i've noted for years, but i was watching a Greg Ovens clip on youtube the other day and it really hit home. I thought, "This guy has GOT to be from BC" and sure enough he was. There are all sorts of guys like him in smalltown BC in my experience. And none in Alberta.

When i first came to Calgary i had people asking if i was a "trans-atlantic Scot", "a Newfie" or even "a southerner" depending on how they interpreted my southernmost Ontario inflection. Go figure.

Last edited by gulo; 01/21/21.

From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information.
� Edward Abbey

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
gulo;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the winter has been okay in your part of the world and everyone in your life who matters is well.

Thanks for the laugh this morning! When I read your comment about Greg Ovens I thought the very same thing! I've known a hundred guys who sound just like him - if I'm being honest, he sounds like me...... shocked

I do enjoy watching him though for sure. The beat up truck and well used gear... oh my, he sounds even more like folks I know VERY, VERY well... laugh

We had friends from the Niagara Peninsula who've since moved to Alberta and yes, I hear you on the accent, or better said it's maybe inflection and how which words are used where.

Thanks for the chuckle once again and all the best to you all.

Dwayne

PS;
A couple jobs back one of the delivery drivers from one of our suppliers came from rural Ontario. So help me, we'd howl with him when he'd tell stories of the weekend ball tournaments and such. He was straight out of Letterkenny!! grin

Last edited by BC30cal; 01/21/21.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
What's the most useless job in Newfoundland.......
Has to be......

English Teacher......

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

139 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 260madman, 27 invisible), 1,190 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,471
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.