Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
There is a lot information on primers out on the internet. I found these links below in one search. I don't know how rigorous the testing was. I just try to use what matches the reloading data I am following. I think it was "Scenar Shooter" that wrote that SR primers can have trouble with consistent ignition/accuracy in medium capacity cases in the extreme cold weather he hunts coyotes in. I also remember he was using the Russian primer brand with great success.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html

https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/primers-and-pressure-analysis/

http://castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2017/04/ultimate-large-rifle-primer-shoot-out-16-types-tested/

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the handloads.com chart on primers, the 5 1/2 primers are listed as small pistol magnum primers. In a box of 5 1/2 primers I see no mention of "magnum". I am getting long in the tooth and can easily be befuddled. I had to print out that chart to cross reference etc. I took a picture of this chart and it is below
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I might add that Remington 6 1/2 primers are not designed to be used at some of the high pressures some cartridges are loaded to. They are good for 222 pressures though.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I think we used to do something called a "T-Test" in an attempt to determine is a difference was real or simply "lost in the noise". I don't recall the math right now. One thing I think we needed was sample size.

I see you reference "Average speed for four five shot groups." Is that the average of 4 averages or the average of all 20 shots?

A rough rule I've used is ES about SD x 3. It doesn't always hold true but is usually pretty close. If that holds true here, you had ES of about 36 on one test and 33 on the other.

I've shot two tests of the same load in the same rifle and seen similar differences between the averages. Seeing 9 fps in the 2400 fps range and 5 fps in the 2600 fps range, gut reaction is "There is no difference".

Great data, Charlie. Thanks for sharing.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
If someone wants to supply the data, I would be happy to do the T Test and report back. That is the correct test for distinguishing real change from random noise.

Last edited by denton; 01/28/21.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
aalf,Don't see where Remington 5-1/2 primers were mentioned in that link. Also, please not that "article" was put together from SOME of my info and a variety of other sources.

Small Handgun Magnum .017" cup thickness

CCI 550 See Note 1 at the bottom of page
Federal 200
Federal 200M - Match version of above
Magtech PR-SPM
Remington 5 ½
RWS 4047
Winchester WSPM
Wolf/Tula Small Pistol Magnum SPM #KVB-9M - brass cup - "For Magnum Pistol loads"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
aalf,

I don't GAS about the notes at the bottom of the page.

My point was that NONE of the information in the post that was lifted (illegally, according to U.S. copyright law) from my article on primers mentions Remington 5-1/2 primers. In fact I don't recall ever using any 5-1/2s, and don't have any on hand..

The so-called article was a mish-mash of various Internet stuff. So no, your following statement is NOT true:

"Now if you want more confusion, JB says otherwise: http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well excuse me all to hell, wasn't my intention to get you all butt hurt......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wasn't butt-hurt much, partly because you obviously didn't understand the situation. Which is why I pointed out what was going on. But was also not butt-hurt much because anybody who writes for a living will always get some flak.

But as a professional writer, I also do NOT like somebody attributing some statement to me that I never made. Which is exactly what you did.

Also did not like the website mixing my stuff up with that of other's--and as I pointed out, illegally. But this happens so frequently on the Internet that unless an author is willing spend money on a lawyer and court case, it's not worth it. Partly because websites that do that sort of stuff aren't making enough money to bother with anyway. And if somebody does go after them, they tend to fold up the tent and start another site.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,565
Posts18,453,772
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.