Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bighorn Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
This time of year, it has to be grasshoppers!
Killed a fall season Tom on Saturday. His crop was chock full of grasshoppers, in spite of the fact that there is plenty of other food around. Must be high-protein, easy to get food source.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I shot a couple of hens last year and their crops were chock full of bees. I can just imagine them standing by a bee hive pigging out. Most of time their full of acorns. Around here anyway.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Turkeys are out making a living every day.....so.... depending on the time of year and what is available becomes their favorite food.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My chufa patches would say chufa and it’s not even close

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
They'll eat anything that doesn't eat them. Had a Tom, one spring in central Wisconsin, that had a small mouse in its crop. One year the grasshopper hatch was huge, every step created waves of them getting out of the way. Every bird in camp that time, was full of them. Complete dietary opportunists!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
They'll eat anything that doesn't eat them. Had a Tom, one spring in central Wisconsin, that had a small mouse in its crop. One year the grasshopper hatch was huge, every step created waves of them getting out of the way. Every bird in camp that time, was full of them. Complete dietary opportunists!

^^ THIS ^^ and plenty corn ,soybeans and acorns

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Killed a gobbler on opening day one April and his crop was full of corn. I was like, where is corn at this time of the year. Turns out the guys on a neighboring farm were baiting.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I know a guy who would purchase crickets for his foodplots, that was the turkeys favorite spot until they were all eaten.

we can't plant chufa due to hogs

turkeys love a black oil sunflower seed, lots of guys I know fill their feeders up with them before season.

Was killing some birds full of wheat, so I got to investigating, someone setup a ground blind on the line up near the paved road with a ton of wheat around it, where I rarely hunt. Guy even had a pool recliner in it and took a leaf blower and blew a clean trail all the way from where he parked to the blind, so he could slip in quiet. GW busted him about two weeks later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the acorn crop was good the previous fall, I'll find the first gobblers I take in the spring to be full of acorns.

If its not acorns, it's undoubtedly clover.

This year, the cicadas are due back. It won't change the season-- it ends 5/8 and the cicadas start emerging after Memorial Day. However, it'll make next year a circus; there will be scads of jakes and jennies running around.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An old guy I used to know walked around on PA gamelands with wheat in his pockets. Guess he figured it wouldn’t show up like corn. I think he was trying to keep them in a general area, not setting up a shot, as he sprinkled it here and there according to his daughter.

Even at 80, he was still out there plugging away, and could still get up the hills, at his own pace anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bighorn
This time of year, it has to be grasshoppers!
Killed a fall season Tom on Saturday. His crop was chock full of grasshoppers, in spite of the fact that there is plenty of other food around. Must be high-protein, easy to get food source.

I’ve seen them gorging on grasshoppers. Probably why they taste so damn bad.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.