Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Generally speaking, out of the same rifle, will a lighter, faster, lower recoiling bullet hit lower than a heavier, slower, higher recoiling bullet?

Last edited by keith_dunlap; 01/16/21.

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Yes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Generally speaking, out of the same rifle, will a lighter, faster, lower recoiling bullet hit lower than a heavier, slower, higher recoiling bullet?

It depends on the individual barrel. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In my testing of different bullets weighs, say a 130 vs 150, and the lighter has more speed, it will hit lower in my tests. Not sure if that holds for all weighs, but just what I have experienced.

O.B.Wallace
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, mostly due to longer barrel time so the bullet leaves the barrel higher into the recoil cycle

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Blueboy
In my testing of different bullets weighs, say a 130 vs 150, and the lighter has more speed, it will hit lower in my tests. Not sure if that holds for all weighs, but just what I have experienced.

My experience mirrors yours

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't see any hard-and-fast rules in rifles regarding bullet weights and impacts on the target. Sometimes heavier bullets shoot to same point of impact, more or less, sometimes lower, sometimes higher. There are a lot of other variables than bullet weight that would determinative, or at least significant. But the rule bears out a lot more in handguns, particularly the big ones.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

It depends on the individual barrel. -Al

And the distance. Within 100 yards, yes. After 150, no.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Biggest difference that I ever saw was helping a guy sight in a Browning BAR during our annual sight in days. Without touching a thing and only changing brands of ammunition and maybe the bullet weight, his .30-06 was grouping into the next target over.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a Remington once, I've since been cured of my affliction, that grouped different bullets so far apart that you had to come back tomorrow to check your targets.

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The worst I've ever seen was a .30-30 lever gun. My brother in law brought his son in law's rifle to check zero. He had a box each of factory Remington and Winchester ammo of the same weight bullet. We shot the rifle at 100 yards. The rifle was plenty accurate enough, but the groups were 8 inches separated vertically. So we set it for one or the other and told the owner to only use that ammo.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
This past week, my 38-55 Marlin shot 200 grain bullets four inches higher than 255 grain bullets at 50 yards, both loaded pretty warm. I've generally found that the big, slow calibers (38-55, 44 mag, 45-70) vary more from bullet to bullet than the smaller, faster calibers do. I had a Ruger 77 30-06 years ago that would shoot almost everything from 150 to 180 grains to about the same point of impact at 100 yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by eblake
This past week, my 38-55 Marlin shot 200 grain bullets four inches higher than 255 grain bullets at 50 yards, both loaded pretty warm. I've generally found that the big, slow calibers (38-55, 44 mag, 45-70) vary more from bullet to bullet than the smaller, faster calibers do. I had a Ruger 77 30-06 years ago that would shoot almost everything from 150 to 180 grains to about the same point of impact at 100 yards.
I have a Rem. M700 that shot most any bullet to about the same point of aim and was more than accurate enough. Through my neglect the bore became pitted and cratered and the more I cleaned it the bigger the groups became. It ended up where it was only luck to get a decent 3 shot group. It has been re-barreled with a stainless Douglas barrel and has returned to accuracy but in the meantime I acquired a very accurate Weatherby Vanguard 2 stainless that goes everywhere with me now. Point of impact with different bullets is varied with the Weatherby so I just stick with 180 SST and consider that I'm well armed for anything in Louisiana.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"Generally speaking" the op is correct but it depends on the individual gun. The only way to know for sure is to shoot the particular weapon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FWP
"Generally speaking" the op is correct but it depends on the individual gun. The only way to know for sure is to shoot the particular weapon.
That is true, but a lot of hunters will swap brands and weights and never think to check point of impact. I once investigated a hunting accident and the rifle involved had 4 rounds left in it and all 4 were different and there were 3 different brands of ammo. The shooter told me there was no way he shot a man because he was a precision marksman and very careful. It was a cheaper Remington bolt gun and a Simmons scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blueboy

Not in my 9.3x62. It is a Ruger Number 1S. I sighted it in with Norma 232gn bullets about 1 1/2 inch high at 100 metres. 250gn Woodleigh PPs go about seven inches low and 286gn PPU factory loads are 20 inches low. I've never seen a rifle that groups different weight bullets so far apart.

A mate has a Tikka and his groups the 286gn PPU and 250gn Accubond about the same at 100m.

Don't know why my Ruger does what it does. ???

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I was trying to develop .458 Winchester 350 grain loads at 2750 fps to take on an African hunt with 450 grain loads at 2200 fps. At 100 yards the 450 grain loads shot about 6" higher than the 350 grain loads. Why? Because recoil raises the muzzle and recoil starts when the bullet is in the barrel. Heavier slower bullets stay in the barrel longer. The barrel was pointing higher, with the heavier slower bullets, when they left the muzzle.

This was kind of contradictory to conventional wisdom that faster bullets don't drop as much as slower ones. That's true but after they leave the barrel.

Since then, I don't take two kinds of ammo on the same hunt. With two different calibers, I found I could take solids and soft points on the same hunt but only if they were the same weight.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Yes, mostly due to longer barrel time so the bullet leaves the barrel higher into the recoil cycle

I have seen this to be the case with handguns over and over and came to the same conclusion.... seems even more pronounced in a revolver vs a semi-auto pistol, which would make sense. Given the same recoil impulse, the bullet that leaves the barrel the soonest is less impacted by muzzle flip.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Follow up question.

If POI for different bullet weights and types is several inches apart left and right, what can be deducted from this?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by country_20boy
Follow up question.

If POI for different bullet weights and types is several inches apart left and right, what can be deducted from this?

I would deduce that you can't use those loads interchangeably for accurate shooting at extended ranges. It happens to me all the time when shooting factory rifles with light-taper barrels, with scant exceptions. I've loaded for and shot some heavy guns and heavy barrels that behave differently, as a rule.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

195 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 280ACKIMP, 35, 22 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 975 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,224
Posts18,447,532
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.