Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
LOL, that's the ad! That somewhat oddball lathe has a busted gear, yes they'd be good enough tools to have, and then the story... I went as far as looking into forklift rentals in Spokane. LOL Fuuck that.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Somehow, he didn't feel it was important to include that in the ad huh? Typical of craigslist bullshit.....

When I was shopping for a lathe, I had plenty of time so just casually kept my eye out and found one just a few miles from my house for very cheap money because the guy was in poor shape and his family wanted his tools gone before he passed. I think he inherited the lathe from a buddy who had already passed and he hadn't even used it ....

Patience is everything when you don't have a lot of money and you want a particular tool.... wink seems like when these do come up , they come up in batches all at once...
There is a place in Portland that rehabs older lathes and mills and sells them and has an excellent reputation but for the life of me I can't remember their name right now.....

Good luck with your search...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M

On the other hand, the used mill is up. I drilled three holes and changed to an end mil and hogged out a slot! Yippee! New main panel in the garage-shop.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Here are some narrow aluminum shelves I made to store the QC tool holders for the lathe. Bent 3/16" aluminum to about 95 degree angle. Keeps the holders handy behind the tailstock end of the lathe, so I don't have to reach over any spinning machinery.

2nd photo shows the parts I made for apron stop and long travel dial indicator. Made the holder from a block of steel I had (which is starting to rust); the dial indicator holder from some stainless rod, and its clamp from aluminum bar. The apron stop has a pencil compass welded to one end. I also use that for laying out large diameter cutouts to install bow thrusters in fiberglass hulls.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you really would be satisfied with a Jet, why not make this guy an offer he can't refuse? Has some tooling and has been listed for a month, already, so price should be soft.

https://billings.craigslist.org/tls/d/roundup-jet-gbh-1340a/7245458930.html

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the 1440BV and a heavy 10. There's one that has nostalgia and one that does a ton of work....the sb is certainly nicer on the finish of the dials and such, but that bv will hold some impressive numbers too.

I'd buy the heaviest one you can afford that's not beat and had tooling.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by pal
If you really would be satisfied with a Jet, why not make this guy an offer he can't refuse? Has some tooling and has been listed for a month, already, so price should be soft.

https://billings.craigslist.org/tls/d/roundup-jet-gbh-1340a/7245458930.html

That's jet has been sold for weeks, prior to this thread starting. Guess he likes interacting with people... Diversion from the sheeps.

For the lathe, I'm going young and pretty and it's costing me plenty. It came down to learning enough about the machines, what is on the new and used market as well as identifying very specific requirements, including a job scope that is not general machinist nor generalist of any sort, absolute necessary capabilities and one that meets personal desires within the scope of my plans. Seems lathes are like rifles, at least three to get started would be an easier choice than just one. I am very happy with my decision, she's a Goldilocks and she ain't Commie

I have yet to see chit for "w/tooling deals"... Be damned lucky to get a proper steady rest with a used lathe. Didn't I already mention that? LOL I am done shopping nonetheless...

--- Kid Rock 2022

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one was delivered to me today. It is a 1971 Monarch 10EE. Swings 12-1/2" x 20" and has a 5hp motor. Weighs 3450 lbs. Been watching for one for quite some time. Just happened to catch the c/l ad an hour after the listing appeared.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.