Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I may be in the market for a scope for a large bore (358 Win to 45-70) type rifle for yardages from 15-150 yards. WT deer, trappy creek bottoms surrounded by open fields. What happened to the 2-7x and 1-6x scopes? Should I pretend to be tacticool for this? Nothing like a mil-dot for a .358 Win using cast boolits at 75 yards.....

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Poor Boob,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Erectors and reticles that speak the same language,connect dots by literal default,despite what your Magnificent STUPIDITY "tells" you. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I'm rather looking forward to your next Whine. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart,for doing your absolute BEST and the Hilarity associated.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a good ghost ring sight on a Marlin one time and I could hit a 2" circle at 100 yards. Didn't want to put a scope on it to keep the looks of a lever gun intact.

PA_Bob Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Schtick, I like your pictures. You seem to like tape and plastic bags. Thanks for playing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 on my 358 Win. I'm not going to tell you that it's the best glass on the market but it is great in the woods with a huge field of view and a nice heavy duplex reticle. Plenty bright too, no complaints there.

It doesn't have the edge to edge clarity of my Bushnell 4200's but I'm not aiming at the edges and don't notice it.

I basically set it on 3x and leave it there.

Dan

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Poor Boob,

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Erectors and reticles that speak the same language,connect dots by literal default,despite what your Magnificent STUPIDITY "tells" you. Hint.

Hint.

God damn, the fat tongued down syndrome baby has some advice, though it looks like JeffO mounted the scope.. 😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Poor Boob,

Hint.

You are such a kghunt

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
Schtick, I like your pictures. You seem to like tape and plastic bags. Thanks for playing.

Popping bubble wrap is very stimulating for him. LOL

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Really like the scout scopes for those lever actions. Mounted well forward, they leave all the action workings fully accessible. Front screw and rear sight dovetail under an XS rail. Low, trim, stout, and unbelievably accurate.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

45-70 as a dark timber elk unit. Only mistake with this unit was hopping up the ammo. One does not need to do that with 400+ grain slugs. Have 85 hot rounds I wish someone would shoot up for me.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/17/21.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Google Gals are "living" vicariously,like it's a "choice"...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Few things are slower than a Scout scope and they have Dog Schit reticles to boot. A lit windshield slaps them fhuqking silly,before zero retention,tracking or repeats even enter the equation(which they can't arrange either). Read that again. Now one more time.

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I’m gonna chime in with a couple options:

Plenty of used Leupy’s out there, if that’s what you want. I’ve got a M8 2.5 on a Henry .45 Colt, and a Vari X III 1.5-5 on a #1 .45-70. Think I gave $135 for the M8 and $150 for the III. While not the brightest scopes, they’ll work as far as you want them to.

Now, I gotta say, Stick’s setup on the Marlin intrigues me. I had seen his setup on another forum some time ago, and, while I’d hate the look, dots and knobs on top of the #1 would afford the ability to land 400 grainers wherever I wanted them, further out than I’d ever need them. As it sits, they’ll kill well beyond the limits of a duplex crosshair and my ability to guess. I think of it as the modern version of a ladder sight on a Sharps.

Someday, I’m gonna try it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Potsy:

The ladder tang sights on a Sharps are something else. Have a 45-90 and with a 37 inch long sight plain, one can do some accurate shooting that I never thought possible with irons.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 1minute; 01/17/21.

1Minute
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The Google Gals are "living" vicariously,like it's a "choice"...the "lucky" kchunts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Few things are slower than a Scout scope and they have Dog Schit reticles to boot. A lit windshield slaps them fhuqking silly,before zero retention,tracking or repeats even enter the equation(which they can't arrange either). Read that again. Now one more time.

Bless your hearts for TRYING though.

Hint.

I'd be salty over the Jeff O mounting job too.👍😂😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
I may be in the market for a scope for a large bore (358 Win to 45-70) type rifle for yardages from 15-150 yards. WT deer, trappy creek bottoms surrounded by open fields. What happened to the 2-7x and 1-6x scopes? Should I pretend to be tacticool for this? Nothing like a mil-dot for a .358 Win using cast boolits at 75 yards.....

I put a 2.5x Leupold on my 45/70 GSBL. It works.

That said, a lot of scopes work for what you're describing.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’d at least give the open sights a try. Might not shoot the tiniest groups but nothing will be faster.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Potsy
I’m gonna chime in with a couple options:

Plenty of used Leupy’s out there, if that’s what you want. I’ve got a M8 2.5 on a Henry .45 Colt, and a Vari X III 1.5-5 on a #1 .45-70. Think I gave $135 for the M8 and $150 for the III. While not the brightest scopes, they’ll work as far as you want them to.

Now, I gotta say, Stick’s setup on the Marlin intrigues me. I had seen his setup on another forum some time ago, and, while I’d hate the look, dots and knobs on top of the #1 would afford the ability to land 400 grainers wherever I wanted them, further out than I’d ever need them. As it sits, they’ll kill well beyond the limits of a duplex crosshair and my ability to guess. I think of it as the modern version of a ladder sight on a Sharps.

Someday, I’m gonna try it.

The Illuminatti "only" has 62 fhuqking mils of erector travel and of course (10) more on the windshield. Hint.

Even with an archaeic FlexTip in Factory Fodder(and under the Lever's auspice),it'll connect some dots,with a mundane 150yd zero. Hint.

Just looking through the fhuqking thing,will get it to the 525yd line. I've yet to see a Reupold 1.5-5x hold zero,track or repeat...if only for conversation. The M8 2.5x has never shown me a fhuqking thing and is dismal. Hint.

Add the Number One to the fray and it's ability to digest far better bullets,at greater pressure and windows of opportunity open in conjunction. So goes the ability to correct windage too. hint.

The upside being,there ain't NO fhuqking downside.

Hint..................

Rather enjoy the notion,that irons are "faster" than Illumination. You Drooling CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a HOOT!.....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The upside being,there ain't NO fhuqking downside.

Hint...........

Other than the ability to mount the scope where you want it instead of back 3" from where you want it.

That's a pretty big downside.

But I'm not a fat bald midget, so maybe that makes a difference in how you shoulder the rifle......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]

For reference, this was too far back for me and I've since moved the scope forward 3/4".

Compare that to where Stick's ocular is.

So, yeah, my irons would be faster than trying to shoot with the scope that far back.

And just about any decent scope positioned for proper eye relief would be better on the 150 yards and in shots the OP described.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Stick,

You ran the exact numbers I’ve pondered but never took the 5 minutes to run. You prove my point, a .45-70 will kill way past my ability to SWAG on a duplex reticle, much less with any repeatability.
It’s almost weird that the drop at about 475 is exactly what my .22 BR drops at 1,000.
Your popping a 1-4 SWFA on a Marlin .45 Colt a while back got me to thinking along those lines.
Ideally, I’d love to find one of the Stainless Laminate #1’s and pop a SWFA 1-4 or even their straight 6 (got one on my AR and love it) on it.

The M8 held up on the .45-70 for a couple hundred rounds, so it should hold up on the Henry .45 Colt. It’s about as bright as looking through a toilet paper tube, but it beats the irons all hollow.

The 1.5-5 survived sight in, but never was hunted this year (not much got hunted period this year, which sucked), so unless it lost zero in the safe (I did have a Tasco that I swear to God would do that very thing)........

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Potsy
Stick,

You ran the exact numbers I’ve pondered but never took the 5 minutes to run. You prove my point, a .45-70 will kill way past my ability to SWAG on a duplex reticle, much less with any repeatability.
It’s almost weird that the drop at about 475 is exactly what my .22 BR drops at 1,000.
Your popping a 1-4 SWFA on a Marlin .45 Colt a while back got me to thinking along those lines.
Ideally, I’d love to find one of the Stainless Laminate #1’s and pop a SWFA 1-4 or even their straight 6 (got one on my AR and love it) on it.

The M8 held up on the .45-70 for a couple hundred rounds, so it should hold up on the Henry .45 Colt. It’s about as bright as looking through a toilet paper tube, but it beats the irons all hollow.

The 1.5-5 survived sight in, but never was hunted this year (not much got hunted period this year, which sucked), so unless it lost zero in the safe (I did have a Tasco that I swear to God would do that very thing)........

I've only got (1) 22BR and I'm pretty sure it's a fhuqking Krieger,though I hate 'em.(grin)

It's a constant constant,to extrapolate drop/drift and either upscale or downscale as requisite. NOTHING begins to match Long Range Rimfire Pursuits. Hint.(grin)

Have had multiple Number Ones,but MUCHLY prefer B-78's(pistol grips). Hint.

I've heard of the Fixed 6x,but have never seen one. LAUGHING!..........................

Hoalie,

I rather enjoy your High Pitched Nasal Whine and Drooling Dumbfhuqktitude...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

In fairness,I've not set a NIB scope in NIB rings,upon a rifle that actually exists,since last night. Hint. LAUGHING!

Though I've not gunned Illumination,since today. Hint. LAUGHING!

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". No fhuqking wonder you are glued to my EVERY word and Splendid Pixel,as you "live" vicariously. Hint. LAUGHING!

Purty High Zoot stuff you have there,but you couldn't knock the "new" offa used pair of boots by yourself. Hint.

LAUGHING!

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for doing your BEST though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.....................

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 57 invisible), 3,208 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.