Print Thread
Hop To
B
Blu_Cs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I really like this style of stock, and wonder if there is anyplace a person could go to reliably find these?

I have priced out custom stocks and the prices cause a person to shudder (think fixed income).

I don't care if it is for a Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Mauser, whatever. But figure if I can find the right stock I can build something around that, bit by bit, no matter what the action.

Doesnt have to be fancy, just made of wood. And I am somewhat handy to the degree of sanding, dremeling, finishing, etc. if that is called for.

Thanks in advance.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Richards Micro-fit used to offer full length semi-inlets. I don't know if they still do, but you could call and ask.

1-800-895-7420 or (818) 767-6097
salesrifle-stocks.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wenig makes great stocks. www.wenig.com

Richards Micro-Fit has always been a hit or miss thing for me, with a lot more misses than hits, probably an 85/15 split. I would only buy a stock from RMF is I was a competent woodworker, which I am not, or if they were the only option left to me. I have a couple of mannlicher style stock from RMF that are gathering dust on a shelf somewhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
I have priced out custom stocks and the prices cause a person to shudder (think fixed income).

Call it "semi-custom" but I used Wenigs for my Mauser (http://wenig.com) and found then pretty reasonable. It was upgraded to extra fancy Claro with the recoil pad and bedded. My gunsmith found zero issues with it. The stock was $1400 and another $300 for the Mannlicher style. All in it was $1800. Not a trivial amount of money but I doubt I'll ever do another. custom and I smile every time I handle it.

I'd call Leasa there and asked what they have. Perhaps they can sell you an inletted and rough blank to finish?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

Call it "semi-custom" but I used Wenigs for my Mauser (http://wenig.com) and found then pretty reasonable. It was upgraded to extra fancy Claro with the recoil pad and bedded. My gunsmith found zero issues with it. The stock was $1400 and another $300 for the Mannlicher style. All in it was $1800. Not a trivial amount of money but I doubt I'll ever do another. custom and I smile every time I handle it.

I'd call Leasa there and asked what they have.

Is that the rifle that you have me down for in your will?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

2nd dibs on the will list. smile

That is nice!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

2nd dibs on the will list. smile

That is nice!

We might be into double digits on the list starting with Hatari who "sold" me the Swede action for a bottle of bourbon. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pugs:

Nice unit there.

1Minute
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pugs, that is beautiful. It has everything a person could want in a rifle, and a great classic cartridge too.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used a Remington 700 ADL stock (birch, I think) as the basis for a mannlicher pattern stock for my Ruger 77/357. Extended the forend by laminating some poplar I had handy (yeah, not the ultimate stock wood wink ) and attaching it as you would with a forend cap: dowels (use the grooved ones!) and epoxy. Epoxied in multiple layers of thin plywood to support the recoil lug and bedded the barrelled action with AcraGel. Built up the comb and grip to fit me with a mixture of sawdust and wood glue which becomes a sort of home-grown particle board. As soon as I get the walnut stock blank laminated (going to try that thin center lamination technique that Kilamanjaro Rifles pioneered), off they go to get the blank copied from the pattern. Hardly any money in it (a campfire member graciously gave me the stock for the price of postage), but lots of hours. If you were to match the forend wood to the stock wood, you might only have a seam where it's glued together that could be covered with a barrel band, if that matters.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, ATC, 12 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 722 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.