Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15670283 01/17/21
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Wondering if there are any folks on here that can advise on a on the impacts on a person later in life that had polio in the 1920 thru early 1950's epidemic. Personal experience or that of someone you know. Did your / their physical ability or functionality decrease or other re-occurring health issues come on with age?

The reason for asking is I had polio with a direct impact of a smaller shorter leg leg and a curved spine. Now at 69 I am starting to have weakness in both legs, a hip issue (most likely due to the imbalance of leg lengths) and more shortness of breath issues. In seeing a physiotherapist that works with people that have had polio she advised that part of my breathing capacity could be due to polio in the spine as long term research has found that for people that had the disease in the upper body there was a high probability of reduced lung capacity as they aged. This does not show up as lung scarring just reduced capacity.

It will be interesting to see the tracking for long term impacts from people recovered from the current virus.

Hugh
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I knew a girl in high school in the 1960s. From polio, she had one leg shorter and smaller than the other. She walked with a pronounced limp. But otherwise she was normal. I heard recently that she was in a long term care facility, but I do not know the specifics of that. She would be 72 years of age today.

Last edited by dale06; 01/18/21.

NRA Patron
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have done work for a lady for 14 yrs that was afflicted.
Same conditions as yours, curved spine and a shorter week right leg.
She turns 77 , I believe in June. She’s a seriously determined lady, but she has had some issues with hips and knees that she is doing PT as we speak...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My mother's best friend from church had polio as a child growing up in the 20s and 30s. She died from complications in the early 70s. I remember her walking crippled with crutches. Same for another man from our church, same age. He was in really bad shape.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Difficulties that were seemingly overcome in early life can return as one ages. Shots and sugar cubes appeared when my age group was about 7 or 8 in the mid 1950's, so there are a few still around that weathered the initial storm. One close friend gradually lost his ability to stand and walk when he hit his mid-60', and I have second hand reports of others with similar issues. Best of luck, and a prayer going your way.

If one thinks he might be in that boat, I'd get started on the bucket list.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/17/21.

1Minute
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I hiked a peak this summer with a guy that was 65 who had polio as a child. Right foot/ankle was locked/malformed from the bug but was basically kicking my ass climbing 5k feet of vertical in about 2.5 hours time to the top. He stays very active and doesn't let the issue get to him. I'd say hard exercise is what enables him to do activities like climbing peaks in the first place. He did not mention whether or not he had spinal issues.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by GBOB
I have done work for a lady for 14 yrs that was afflicted. Same conditions as yours, curved spine and a shorter week right leg. She turns 77 , I believe in June. She’s a seriously determined lady, but she has had some issues with hips and knees that she is doing PT as we speak...

The similarity is interesting as is the determination / stubbornness. I was close to being in an iron lung and had a leg brace that I learned to live with out when I was young. Fast forward to present day and getting assessed on issues, the therapist says you should be wearing a brace and elevated shoe --- the look on my face stopped him. Then the next comment he made was I treat a lot of people and by far people that have had polio are the most stubborn self reliant determined to work their way through their situation that I see. There was no more mention of bracing or elevated shoe.

I do contribute my health assessments to the post polio syndrome as part of on-going research. Perhaps this may help others.

All the best to your friend.

Hugh
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You'll find out real soon, when the millions of new "immigrants" reach our country and bring back untold numbers of previously eradicated diseases.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
1951. Missed half of first grade. One leg shorter. At 67 had to have L2-L5 fused. Have always had somewhat limited flexibility, especially in back and legs. Knees were always somewhat weak. 76 now and bad arthritis in hands, knees, feet and back. How much from polio, don't know, but I'd suspect a lot. The short leg ultimately wrecked the back.

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by SBTCO
He stays very active and doesn't let the issue get to him. I'd say hard exercise is what enables him to do activities like climbing peaks in the first place.

I believe the high activity rate has kept me in good stead and the therapist said that was a key for people that had polio. Do what they can physically --- stay active. I had to see her as I had a slip and fall which resulted in a partial torn ACL, torn meniscus and torn cartilage in the polio leg. Good now and back to hiking 6 to 9 miles a day. I just do everything slower and have to think more when the ground starts looking dicey.

Originally Posted by Papag
1951. Missed half of first grade. One leg shorter. At 67 had to have L2-L5 fused. Have always had somewhat limited flexibility, especially in back and legs. Knees were always somewhat weak. 76 now and bad arthritis in hands, knees, feet and back. How much from polio, don't know, but I'd suspect a lot. The short leg ultimately wrecked the back.

Papag - Thanks for this and I really wish you all the best in the future.

Hugh
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had polio in the mid '50's. I don't remember a lot, but what I do remember isn't pleasant. I'm one of the lucky ones because I didn't have any side effects except that my legs were weak and cramp a lot. As I grew older even this went away and I could do what ever I wanted.

Until I fell out of the deer stand, at age 61, I did whatever I wanted. After they put me back together again, things are somewhat limited. I have aches and pains that are the results of the fall. My knees and shoulders are getting bad, but I think that is just caused by hard work catching up with me and to a degree heredity.

I really can't say that any of my aches and pains are from the polio. Like I said before, I'm one of the lucky ones.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by High_Noon
You'll find out real soon, when the millions of new "immigrants" reach our country and bring back untold numbers of previously eradicated diseases.

Yep.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
One of my Dad's co-worker had had polio when he was young. The desease caused a shorter and lame arm (I don't recall which one). Otherwise he was quite healthy and used to ride bicycle. As far as I know there were no other impacts due to the illness. He was born 1934 and died last year.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I remember it well, several kids I went to school with got it.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
In the '50s I knew a couple of kids that had had polio. I don't know what happened to them. We were more afraid of polio than people are now afraid of Covid.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Dad had polio. about the age of 8 I believe it was so ths would have been 1952. He had a bit of weaker humped back ,but no so much as most didn't notice .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a 50's baby and I remember the polio scares well. I remember getting the vaccine and how big a deal it was. Polio was a real epidemic. Remember all the posters of the kids in iron lungs?

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
All they closed were public swimming pools.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My grandmothers brother had it bad .contracted it in 1930's when he was a little kid,it twisted him up into a hunch back.one leg shorter,spine twisted,etc.
He became self employed and was as active as he could be.By the time he was in his mid 60's he was having trouble breathing,he passed out on his kitchen floor,never woke up.But my step dad and my father in law both had it and recovered from it and were fine.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It was some serious stuff in the day..it scared people, with good reason. But in retrospect, it was overplayed in my parents house in the '50's...everything they didn't want a young boy to do was met with a warning. "If you get wet in the creek you will get polio". "If you shoot birds in the cherry tree, you will get polio". "If you don't eat them turnips, you will get polio". You never seen a kid gobble down Dr Salk's sugar cube so fast and so eagerly in your life.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.