Originally Posted by Fotis
Handloading never felt so good

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But don't try to start now
Just try to buy a press and dies
Holy crap the price and availability is shocking
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
BP-B6

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dont like the price of ammo right now
Or the availibity but I don't have to buy any now

But those who have strong views I bet the will not sell thier apple stock for what they paid for it 10years ago
But it ain't my fight
I wish 9mm was 3.95 a box but it ain't so the 650Dillion is ready

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by MGunns
Ridiculous. So the price gouging is in full swing

What a simple minded comment. How can you "price gouge" on a non essential item?

Some people apparently don't have a good understanding of supply and demand. Whether you like it or not, in times of unprecedented demand, the only way to ensure a product remains in stock is to raise prices....and even that is no guarantee. No one is being forced to buy it, and what Midway paid for it originally is completely irrelevant. They know that future availability is an absolute crap shoot, and if they want to be able to keep some in stock for customer's who absolutely need it (whatever the cost), this is the only way.

Whether folks accept it or not, ammo/reloading components are just as much a commodity as gold or fuel prices...and in a free market economy, the market will bear the price.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Don't forget the inflation caused by "free" money that has been handed out...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx
In another month or two, Larry isn’t going to have anything to sell.

For a few days or weeks after a “panic”, you can call it gouging, if you want.

This has been going on for NINE MONTHS, with no foreseeable end for the next TWO YEARS.

He can either sell the limited stock he’s got, slowly, at HIGH prices, to people who really NEED it (and keep his employees working, in the process), or he can price it at $20 a box, be sold out by tomorrow, and it goes to a bunch of hoarders and re-sellers....

This be true. Supply & Demand.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
There’s a pawn shop here in town I go to quite frequently. Talk to the owner a lot. The extra unemployment bennies and the stimulus money is providing his “regulars” with so much money, that they don’t need to pawn anything. His inventory is low, and he’s way down on loans.

Some of the folks are doing better NOW, than when they were working....

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jason280
Originally Posted by MGunns
Ridiculous. So the price gouging is in full swing

What a simple minded comment. How can you "price gouge" on a non essential item?

Some people apparently don't have a good understanding of supply and demand. Whether you like it or not, in times of unprecedented demand, the only way to ensure a product remains in stock is to raise prices....and even that is no guarantee. No one is being forced to buy it, and what Midway paid for it originally is completely irrelevant. They know that future availability is an absolute crap shoot, and if they want to be able to keep some in stock for customer's who absolutely need it (whatever the cost), this is the only way.

Whether folks accept it or not, ammo/reloading components are just as much a commodity as gold or fuel prices...and in a free market economy, the market will bear the price.

We have a perfect understanding of supply and demand. We also have a perfect understanding of price gouging under extraordinary circumstances. Whether we want to call firearms "essential" or not. Some if not all states even have statutes addressing the behavior.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I wonder how much this has to do with Remington exiting the scene, and original Remington ammo practically becoming a collectors item--along with everything else labeled "Remington".

The word is there may be some significant increases in smokeless powder. Probably doesn't help that Hodgdon's has such a big share of the market now......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I wonder how much this has to do with Remington exiting the scene, and original Remington ammo practically becoming a collectors item--along with everything else labeled "Remington".

The word is there may be some significant increases in smokeless powder. Probably doesn't help that Hodgdon's has such a big share of the market now......

I was of the understanding that Vista just kept operations at Remington ammo rolling per usual?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We have a perfect understanding of supply and demand.

No, you do not. I am curious, though, who is this "we"?

We also have a perfect understanding of price gouging under extraordinary circumstances.

Once again, clearly you do not. Regardless, where is the "price gouging"? As far as "statutes" being in place to *ahem* address the behavior, please link a couple that deal specifically with ammo prices you don't agree with.

Actually, I'll make this even simpler for you. What should be the going rate for .338 Mag ammo right now, or any other ammo for that matter? Who should determine that price? The more I have to ask, the more obvious it becomes you truly have no idea how a free market works. Remember, just because you don't like the price doesn't mean you should be able to change it.

Besides, which is better for a guy who decides he has to have a box of .338 right now....a box for $35 that's completely out of stock, or a box for $80 that's actually available to order?

People keep calling this extraordinary circumstances, but when in fact, its absolutely not. In fact, it was completely predictable. Anyone who was caught unprepared this time is at best naïve, and at worst a short sighted fool. We saw the same exact thing after Obama in '08, the school shootings, and even the Las Vegas shooting a couple years. Same thing with all the BLM rioting the last year or so, Despite this, this country has gone through salad days of rock bottom pricing on ammo, guns, etc, yet these people seem completely caught off guard. Same with Biden. Most of us realized that there was a better than even chance he would be elected, and prices would be affected. Yet, here people are scrambling to stock up...and complaining about the "unfair prices" and people "gouging" them on a commodity.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by GeoW
Originally Posted by 16bore

Hell, ole smilin Larry got to eat!

Hell his wife needs more shoes.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by Fotis
Handloading never felt so good

This right here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But don't try to start now
Just try to buy a press and dies
Holy crap the price and availability is shocking
Hank

I decided that I should have what I need to reload 9mm. Had to settle for dies from three or four makers to make up a set. Ran into some Sierra 115gr HPs from Larry and snagged 500. Primers I have. Brass is in progress, just have to empty some out. The prices I paid for all that were pretty normal, but you really have to keep after it to find stuff.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Brass is in progress, just have to empty some out.

It's a tough job, but somebody's got to do it. smile

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Jason280
[quote=MGunns]Ridiculous. So the price gouging is in full swing[/quote

Excellent post. Prices have to go up or there will be no supply available.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And Opticsplant is $89.99 for that same box. And who else beside Midway has it in stock?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
At 7:55 this morning I ordered a few hundred 180gr interlocks for $35 per.(all things considered I consider that a fair price)

At 1:22 got an email they had shipped.

Not every company is on the ball to that extent.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Per Larry, that's the way it is..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The Cabela's here had some ammo yesterday, but it didn't last long. Corelokts were usual price. When my buddy and I got there, we snagged a couple pounds of powder each as well for $29.99/pound. I almost grabbed some ammo for my buddy that doesn't handload. It was federal blue box 243 win, for $21.99/box. As far as I'm concerned, Larry can suck my di ck..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Goodbye Larry and Midway. I won't even look there again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I visited the Tucson Sportsman's Warehouse today and they had a dozen boxes of this exact same load (Rem 338 WM 250 PSPCL) on the shelves at $69.99

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
707 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 74 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.