Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A thread below got my wheels turning and it brought me to a question. When mounting a heavy scope to a heavy recoiling rifle, should you use a steel rail and rings rather than aluminum or is 7075-T6 strong enough?

Has anyone actually seen a 7075-T6 rail or rings deform or fail due to recoil?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

BP-B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The weak link will still be the mount screws. I prefer aluminum but I have steel too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by colodog
The weak link will still be the mount screws.

Yep.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
One of the best features of the late, lamented Fieldcrafts is the five-hole 8-40 mounting scheme. I think Kimber uses the big ones now as well, maybe others.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Yep.

Nope epoxy fixes that

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Originally Posted by StudDuck

Yep.

Nope epoxy fixes that

How so?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Seekins aluminum if I'm trying to save weight, Nightforce steel if it don't matter.

And both have the built it recoil lug that butts up to the front of the action, taking the stress forces off the screws.

[Linked Image from seekinsprecision.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doesn’t much matter, IME. Get one with a recoil lug, though.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Seekins is exactly what I was looking at. They're backordered, so I sent an email asking for a lead-time, hopefully it won't be too long.

The recoil lug should eliminate the need to upgrade to 8x40 screws; should it not?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
or Titanium, just to be different : - )

the FN-H A3-G Special Police Rifle came with a titanium rail to make the FBI weight spec, and I have that rail on a few rifles. Not sure any real world benefit to me, but I like them

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

Aluminum has less stress cycles than steel--that's why the aircraft industry keeps close track of the lifespan of various aircraft parts. Aluminum is also softer and "peens" or "coins" easier. I have had that happen to me with aluminum weaver style mounts.

Guys who shoot a lot with heavy scopes seem to be the ones with failures of rings or mounts. Back when scopes were heavy most of us used steel mounts and rings, when scopes became lighter, aluminum mounts/rings became the norm. Now that we have gone full circle there is an argument for steel.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stealthgoat
or Titanium, just to be different : - )

the FN-H A3-G Special Police Rifle came with a titanium rail to make the FBI weight spec, and I have that rail on a few rifles. Not sure any real world benefit to me, but I like them

I've looked at a titanium rail from Murphy Precision. I'd have to look at it again to determine if it has a recoil lug.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Picatinny through bolts are wider than Weaver, so match the slots to the type of rings. Upgrading the mounting screws to 8-40 is worthwhile too.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Aluminum is also softer and "peens" or "coins" easier. I have had that happen to me with aluminum weaver style mounts.

I agree with this but many of the newer picatinny rails are hard anodized and it makes a big difference, if it's not anodized I'll go steel

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Aluminum is also softer and "peens" or "coins" easier. I have had that happen to me with aluminum weaver style mounts.

I agree with this but many of the newer picatinny rails are hard anodized and it makes a big difference, if it's not anodized I'll go steel

That is true, good point.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Does anyone know of a maker of a steel Picatinny rail for a Mauser 98 with an integral recoil lug like the Seekins and Nightforce?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So when you install a rail, do most of you bed it, or just screw it on to recommended torque and call it good?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gsganzer
So when you install a rail, do most of you bed it, or just screw it on to recommended torque and call it good?

Bed it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by aalf

Seekins aluminum if I'm trying to save weight, Nightforce steel if it don't matter.

And both have the built it recoil lug that butts up to the front of the action, taking the stress forces off the screws.

[Linked Image from seekinsprecision.com]

I'm familiar with Badger Ordnance rails and how/where their recoil lug butts-up against the receiver, but forgive my ignorance, as I've never used a Seekins rail. How does their recoil lug work on the receiver? Explain the slot/cutout ahead of the ejection-port cutout. I'm assuming the recoil lug drops down into the ejection port to interface with the receiver......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
That’s correct.

Don’t know what model rifle you’re buying for, but I just this morning ordered an Area 419 rail for my R700

He went over yonder way
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,650 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,346
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.