Originally Posted by TRexF16
Thanks Mule Deer, for the heads up on necked up brass.
I recently made some 338-06 brass by necking up some FC and Win 30-06 brass I had first annealed. It "looked" great, but this thread inspired me to check for doughnuts. Some of the Winchester brass (the first batch I've checked, in the process of neck turning) is particularly bad, so much so that the neck turning mandrel almost sticks in the case (which has already been passed over the sizing mandrel) when the turning mandrel reaches the constriction at the base of the neck. The brass is NOTICABLY thicker there.
I'm pretty fat on .35 Whelen brass so I am considering just abandoning necked up 30-06 (which I have a ton of, thus my desire to use it) and just go to necked down .35 Whelen.
I have some Weatherby headstamped 338-06 brass but I prefer to use that exclusively for one of my two 338-06s, and differently marked brass for the other, since their chambers and throats are slightly different.

Anyway, thanks again - this may explain why the "other" 338-06 has not yet shot as good as the one getting the Weatherby brass.

Rex

Sorry to quote my own post, but I got around to neck turning the 338-06 brass I made from Federal 30-06 cases and it is MUCH different than those I made from Winchester 30-06 cases. I can only surmise that the brass in the shoulder of the Winchester cases is a lot thicker than the brass in the shoulder of the Federal cases. Which is funny since the federal cases weigh more. I had annealed the neck and shoulder area of both batches pretty well the same, so I don't think hardness was the factor. The Federal just neck turned a lot more smoothly than the Winchester. It seems the doughnut on the Winchester brass was far more severe.
Just an observation.
Rex