Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have a Howa that I like a lot - it has served me well for whitetail hunting but I'm still fairly new to hunting and don't have a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping for the chance to do some Wyoming elk hunting in 2021 and am curious what you guys think about using a Howa for backcountry hunting. I don't have a scale but I believe it weights about 7.5 lbs on its own and over 9 lbs with my scope on it. Seems like the only way to lighten up a Howa is to replace the stock with a McMillan Edge, which I'm not sure I want to do.

When I see people investing in super lightweight rifles like Barrett Fieldcrafts and Kimber Montanas, I start to wonder if I'm in for a world of hurt if I try to haul my Howa around in the mountains. I dunno - I guess I could go for a hike just carrying the thing and see how I feel about it.

BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of curiosity, what's it chambered in?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by mcclure
I have a Howa that I like a lot - it has served me well for whitetail hunting but I'm still fairly new to hunting and don't have a ton of experience with it. I'm hoping for the chance to do some Wyoming elk hunting in 2021 and am curious what you guys think about using a Howa for backcountry hunting. I don't have a scale but I believe it weights about 7.5 lbs on its own and over 9 lbs with my scope on it. Seems like the only way to lighten up a Howa is to replace the stock with a McMillan Edge, which I'm not sure I want to do.

When I see people investing in super lightweight rifles like Barrett Fieldcrafts and Kimber Montanas, I start to wonder if I'm in for a world of hurt if I try to haul my Howa around in the mountains. I dunno - I guess I could go for a hike just carrying the thing and see how I feel about it.

I’d try it and see. I’d also ask myself how much mountain hunting I would really be doing. Years ago I set up or tried to set up almost all my rifles because I had plans of mountain hunting every year. I did it a few years and life hobbies and interest changed.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When I hear about guys thinking a rifle is to heavy I look back to WWII and guys carrying M1's for weeks at a time over every conceivable terrain. I think you'll be fine with the Howa,

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I completely understand taking advantage of modern technology. I sure like some of the things I use today even though the things I used 20 years ago worked. I just meant maybe try the Howa before deciding it’s too heavy.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The extra 3/4 to 1 lb "extra" weight ( compared to oft-discussed ultra feather light "mountain rifles"), just may come in handy when making the shot. Weight will settle the rifle on top of a back pack rest.

If you have a wood stock, consider getting the Weatherby S2 stock. It is a nice stock, lighter than wood, an maybe $80??? Change that and maybe light scope and you could sha e off 4-6 ounces.

Run your own evaluation an hunt with it. It will work. Get A good sling. If you are not taking A backpack, consider a two-shoulder sling, like a biathlon rifle. Distributes weight to both shoulders, and secures the rifle well.

Worried about carrying 2 extra pounds? Lose 5-10 lbs of body weight, and you are ahead of the game. :-). But not really kidding.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

It's a 270.

Originally Posted by buttstock
The extra 3/4 to 1 lb "extra" weight ( compared to oft-discussed ultra feather light "mountain rifles"), just may come in handy when making the shot. Weight will settle the rifle on top of a back pack rest.

That is a good point and one that I haven't thought much about.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Either hunt it as-is -or- take the money you would invest in lightening it up (stock) and buy a Tikka lite or Superlite.

A Tikka with a 3-9 Burris FFII is the easy button for mountain rifle IMO. FWIW, this is coming from a M70 nut.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I’d try it and see. I’d also ask myself how much mountain hunting I would really be doing. Years ago I set up or tried to set up almost all my rifles because I had plans of mountain hunting every year. I did it a few years and life hobbies and interest changed.

That’s good advice. One hunt is tolerable mostly. It when you wanna do it in multiples yearly that weight really becomes a thing.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It's a 270.

If you decide to explore a McMillan EDGE, touch base with PaulBarnard. He has this one I originally had on a 270.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-to-do-with-mcmillan-stock#Post15585798

IC B3

M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by TomM1
Either hunt it as-is -or- take the money you would invest in lightening it up (stock) and buy a Tikka lite or Superlite.

A Tikka with a 3-9 Burris FFII is the easy button for mountain rifle IMO. FWIW, this is coming from a M70 nut.

The Tikkas for sure are cool rifles, and I've read plenty of posts on the internet telling me that I'm a fool for not owning one in 6.5 Creedmoor! The internet forums also convinced me that I needed my 20 ounce scope, but maybe I could start looking at some lighter options like the Burris.

If you decide to explore a McMillan EDGE, touch base with PaulBarnard. He has this one I originally had on a 270.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...t-to-do-with-mcmillan-stock#Post15585798

Thanks! I like the idea of upgrading the stock and that one looks good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since you may carry your rifle in your hands, cradled in your arms, or maybe slung or in a backpack carrier, the notion that losing weight yourself is the solution for heavy-rifle syndrome is only true some of the time. You might lose a half-pound or so with a new stock, but a rifle built from the ground up as a lightweight is a better option, IMO. Doesn’t have to cost a fortune, maybe not even as much as a fancy light stock. Look at Mauser M18s and LW Tikkas for starters.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The S2 Griptonite SA stock I have weighs 37.2oz.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Since you may carry your rifle in your hands, cradled in your arms, or maybe slung or in a backpack carrier, the notion that losing weight yourself is the solution for heavy-rifle syndrome is only true some of the time. You might lose a half-pound or so with a new stock, but a rifle built from the ground up as a lightweight is a better option, IMO. Doesn’t have to cost a fortune, maybe not even as much as a fancy light stock. Look at Mauser M18s and LW Tikkas for starters.

Thanks for the advice. When I hunted deer in the Black Hills this fall, I didn't use a sling at all. I just carried the rifle in my hands. It wasn't bad, but it was also much easier terrain than the Rocky Mountains of Wyoming.

I would be very hesitant to throw a lot of money after making this rifle lighter weight. I do like the rifle, though, and the idea of putting it in a nicer stock (nicer than the Hogue that it's in) that also makes it lighter sounds tempting. It was my first non-rimfire rifle so I think I'd like to keep it around.

The Mauser looks good - I handled a Sauer 100 at Cabela's and it seemed impressive, so I'm assuming the Mauser is as well. The Tikka Superlites at Sportsman's Warehouse seem like an obvious no-fuss choice if I decide to go that route.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I stuck a McMillan edge on my s2. It saved me between 10-11 ounces. With a Leica 2.5-10x42, Talley LWs and 4 rounds (300 Win) it weighs 8# 2oz iirc.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Just get a better sling- that should be the most bang-for-your buck. I personally like the Browning Big Game Neoprene. Very comfortable. Next up would be a lighter set of rings and glass.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
BTDT, I would've kept this one but decided the 06 was better for me.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F

If the rifle feels good in your hands now, take it to the mountains. Sure, get in as good of a shape as you can, but don't worry about whether your rifle works in the mountains. If you're confident in your firearm now, it'll work great in the mountains. After a mountain hunt or 2, you'll have enough experience to decide whether you need a new shootin' iron.

Now, if it was a 13# benchrest deal, maybe I'd counsel ya to reconsider. But outside of that, good physical conditioning, coupled with a relentlessly positive attitude and a good guide (or at least good research) will mean far more to your success than what rifle you're wielding.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
M
mcclure Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thanks for all the replies. I do not think I'm going to rush into buying another rifle. Besides, it would involve buying a new scope, etc. I will make do with what I have, which is a very nice rifle in any case (in my opinion), although it is an unfashionable rifle in an even less fashionable caliber.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Until recently, you could have purchased a CLR in excellent condition for less than the cost of a new McM stock.

I know that a lot of people find fault with the CLR stock and opt to upgrade to a lighter/stiffer NULA stock, but the factory package is still lighter than most comparable factory specs rifles. My CLR in 270 weighs noticeably less than my V2 in 6.5 CM with a McM stock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 16 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 648 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.