Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
So i picked up a 30-06 "mauser" that says A()NT Hubert Co Waseca, MN on the side on the rear of action it says Made in Germany and under that F.W. Hehm so were these Herter's imports back in the day since the Waseca MN connection. I have a lot of Mausers but none of these, just curious what i may have here it was intended to be a donor for something.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

That is interesting, any chance of a picture or two?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Plus 1 on photos! I know little more than hearing of the name! Just checked De Haas book "Bolt Action Rifles & no joy! Googling also little in results. Herter's with something of wild reputation. Variety of rifles of differing brands, sometimes mated to their own sourced stocks. Some seeming 'left overs'. That said, never heard anything bad. I know that they used BSA commercial actions of mid-fifties under such as U-9... Or am I thinking of a U-Boat? smile
Awaiting pix & to view such rifle!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was called the J9. It was a yugo action. Zastava I believe. The U9 was a BSA action

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I will try to post pictures, I did some looking online, it is not a J9 I don't think the bolt release on a J9 is the typical bolt release on all my yugo mausers, this one has a external visible spring clip that is used as the bolt release, I see the same gun in pictures that was sold online. The marking is Saint Hubert Co. Waseca, MN , that smells Herter;s LOL

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Here's some pics of mine. With model #. That might help..........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Muffin; 01/18/21.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice stutzen Muffin!

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
so what's the trick to getting pics to post, ii must be missing something

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Remember they were used by the Royalty of Europe for hunting. For those who never had the chance to read a Herters catalog that was probably the most common line used by George Herter in his catalog. The Herters catalog was my wish book when I was a kid, my dad and I would make a pilgrimage to Waseca once a year to stock up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I used to see Herter rifles in my area about 3 or 4 times a year. Never saw a really nice looking one that I would consider buying. I havent seen one in probably 5 years

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Shakespere's Juliet utterance, to the effect: "What's in a name. A rose by any other name to be as sweet!" Waxing poetic, but truth there! Thanks for the pix of a handsome rifle! Excellent genre actions and full stock. Far as I can see, all looking good!
The aside... For decades gun folk disdained the Sears Model 50 despite the great FN action and a quality rifle. Now, not. IF true Herter's having a role, also true bit of 'recycler' firm reputation. Some of their products, mediocre at best. But quality components with their own story! As here suggesting early Zastava action based. As functioning well, reasonable accuracy... Marketer, seeming a 'so what'!
Congrats or a handsome rifle I'd be proud to own!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heym made all kinds of rifles for various companies. Mine is a straight 98 with thumb cut, clip guide, and C-ring breech. Also has a recessed-button floorplate release, but not the swivel hole in the guard. Wing safety. Lightest factory 98 I’ve ever seen at just over 6lbs in .308. No store-brand markings. Very nicely made. Bought it on Gunbroker from a dealer in AK of all places.

Pictures would be nice. Looked around a lot for pics of another just like mine, but to no avail. “Made in Germany” means it ain’t a Zastava.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wade brown
Remember they were used by the Royalty of Europe for hunting. For those who never had the chance to read a Herters catalog that was probably the most common line used by George Herter in his catalog. The Herters catalog was my wish book when I was a kid, my dad and I would make a pilgrimage to Waseca once a year to stock up.

George was a real huckster.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by wade brown
Remember they were used by the Royalty of Europe for hunting. For those who never had the chance to read a Herter's catalog that was probably the most common line used by George Herter in his catalog. The Herters catalog was my wish book when I was a kid, my dad and I would make a pilgrimage to Waseca once a year to stock up.

Most everything Herter's sold was called "Model Perfect". GLH was a showman but his products were OK. I bought several stock blanks from them in the early '60s. I remember they also sold SAKO rifles by mail order prior to GCA 68. I wish they were back. I still have one of GLH's little books called "How To Live With A Bitch".

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Here's a commercial Heym 98, made in Germany. I bought the action, not a rifle, so always wondered how it got here.

Attached Images
Heym_01.JPG (33.53 KB, 433 downloads)
Heym_02.JPG (33.09 KB, 440 downloads)
Heym_03.JPG (35.06 KB, 418 downloads)
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
The one have is very similar to one above, same bolt release except I have a chrome bolt, i have the safety on the side not the wing though.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
The sleeve w/ swing safety was added during the build. When I purchased the action it had a trigger with side safety, though I don't recall any markings. It was the first commercial Heym I'd seen, but I'm no expert.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Then it is the same action, this one I have is in the early stages of a new beginning, looking for the right stock now.

T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Good luck with it Capt. Can't think of a better action to start a new project with.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I

I have had 2 Herters rifles. The first was the j9 as mentioned. It was a 25=06 and was a tack driver. Someone stole it out of my car.

The other I still have. It is the BSA action. It is a 223 and again is a tact driver. I have killed many Prairie Dogs with it. I lost count of rounds thru it at 17000.

Prior to that I was only loading one 22 cal. The story back in the day was that Herters brought in the actions and they put the barrels on..

I also had a Herters BSA in 22=250 and it went down the road very quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 160user, 117LBS, 61 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,273
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.