Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
In the 270 Win. Both are available, can’t get Interbond or AB. Most shots are beyond 100, and I’m proficient out to 500. Game is deer, bear, and elk.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've not used 150gr BT in the 270. I have used the 150 SST on a couple deer and elk. The deer killed had huge holes through them, and none took a step. The elk, I center-punched the humerus on a quartering-toward shot. What was left of the bullet exited the rear ribs and stayed in the hide. Elk made it 12-15 feet after the shot. I didn't do an autopsy. I like the SST quite a bit, and have stockpiled quite a few. They shoot every accurately for me, as well.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A sample of 2 deer convinced me no more SSTs. I've never had an issue with NBTs and still use them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MHWASH,

In my experience the present versions of both the SST and Ballistic Tip work very similarly, penetrating well even though they can mess up some meat, and retaining around 50% of their weight, give or take about 10%.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
MHWASH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Marc,

Have you the heavy for caliber SSTs?

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've never shot the 270 version but shoot both in 7mm....both very accurate for me with slight edge going to the BT, I've had a couple of each explode on impact at STW velocity up close. I shoot the BT more often just because I have used them forever but load the SST when it's what I can get. I'd not be afraid to use either one.

I've got a new pig control round in 308 with SR4759 shooting the 150SST and limited testing is positive...guessing velocity is 2000ish and the three pigs and two does so far were picture perfect performance best I can tell. Nice neat entrance wounds, 2" or so exits with pulverized lungs, easy blood trail for the whole 40 yards the longest one made it, no excessive bloodshot meat. That load at 100 ought to be about on pace with a factory load at 400 I think.

Last edited by Achigan1; 01/18/21.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Initially the SSTs were like varmint bullets. They toughened up the core or jacket since the early ones. They are closer to each other than previously but I would rate the BT as tougher due ti the much heavier jacket. And some BTs like the 120 7mm are much tougher. Neither would be my choice for elk but they would certainly work if that is all you had.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
I’ve had bad experiences with the old NBT on deer size game in the 150gr 308win and the 165 in a 300 weatherby. About 15-20 years ago.

On deer size game the modern SST has been great...talking the 225gr .338 in a win mag loses full house...shots under 100 yards. Only one I’ve used and I was impressed but it was a small sample size...4 deer perhaps but all in the last 6 years

Last edited by Quak; 01/18/21.

GOD Bless America
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So this thread is about the .277 / 150 version of the SST and NBT, not the .308 or other versions.

I’ve never used an SST, but the Last time I used the 150 NBT from a 270 I shot a good sized cow elk at around 200 yards. Bullet went through the chest and exited. Elk ran 20 yards and was dead. Hard to get better than that.

Aside, my partner shot a cow simultaneously and at the same range with his 300 WM and a 180 Accubond. His cow reacted the same, running 20 yards til it fell over dead. However, the Accubond didn’t exit.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
R
The ballistic tips (130 and 150 gr.) have been consistent for me on deer. I would like to use the 150 gr. SST but haven’t been able to get them to group well enough to hunt them. I don’t think you will be able to see any difference in how they perform on game and would choose the one that shoots the best for you.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MHWASH,

In my experience the present versions of both the SST and Ballistic Tip work very similarly, penetrating well even though they can mess up some meat, and retaining around 50% of their weight, give or take about 10%.

Has Hornady made changes to the SST in the last few years?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

They've evidently made changes from the early ones, since the early ones performed like varmint bullets. I was unfortunate in getting some of the early bullets. But I also had early ballistic tips way back when and they've evidently changed too, because those early BT's were as volatile as the early SST's..

I will say the SST's shot very well on paper, so did the BT's as I recall! My 6mm Rem shot 95 gr SST's and my 25-06 shot SST's very accurately. I sold all my SST bullets very cheaply - a dime on the dollar, because I did not know if each box was good game bullets or volatile bullets and how they would act on game.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MHWASH
Marc,

Have you the heavy for caliber SSTs?

165s out of the 06. I've killed a bunch of deer with Ballistic Tips out of the 270 close as 20 yards out to 200 and never found them lacking.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm glad to read this. I bought a box of 130gr .277 SST's back when I first started handloading and found them to be violently frangible, and never even considered Hornady bullets after that experience. Horrible blowups and chasing critters around...not my idea of fun, or anyone's. I might give them a try again knowing this. Thanks.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BKinSD
I'm glad to read this. I bought a box of 130gr .277 SST's back when I first started handloading and found them to be violently frangible, and never even considered Hornady bullets after that experience. Horrible blowups and chasing critters around...not my idea of fun, or anyone's. I might give them a try again knowing this. Thanks.

Don't disregard all Hornady bullets after the SST experience. The good old Interlock is a great deer bullet. It is my preferred lead tip cup and core bullet that I always go to first.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You know what they say about first impressions...mine was terrible.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I really like both bullets. Both shoot lights out and Ive not had any issues with excessive meat loss. However, I do not shoot shoulders either. Ive stashed back several thousand of each for my rifles.

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I am glad to hear they are improved. I can remember 8-10 years ago they were very frangible and alot of people loved them for their accuracy but they were not performing well on game. BT had a similar problem even before that, but changed their construction to be a true hunting bullet. Sounds like SST did the same thing. The SST has been a popular hunting bullet on Facebook elk groups. Its good to know that they are performing well now.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
My experience with both in 7mm and 30cal has been they work great on deer, but make a mess under 100yds at anything over 2800 -2900fps muzzle velocity. Not exactly ground breaking and not much different than any other c&c I've used.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
MHWASH,

They made the changes PDQ as they got lots of complaints. I think it was the first or second year of production for the SST's.

The Nosler's were changed when they started making a distinction between the Hunting BT and the Varmint BT. I tried to verify when this was done but couldn't pin the date down exactly but around 1978 so it has been awhile. This was also when Nosler went from the 100 bullet to the 50 bullet packaging and changed the color of the box. They also color coded the tips at about the same time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
111 members (405joe, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,364 guests, and 673 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,856
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.