Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by High_Noon
You'll find out real soon, when the millions of new "immigrants" reach our country and bring back untold numbers of previously eradicated diseases.

Right
Right

And then they start gettin all meryl streep karen on us and say they wont get their shots

A SaddleFred Bob will be all like “whut in tarnations...me neither, I wont be a 5-G antenna”

Settle down SaddleFred-Bob, you already had your shots.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My father born in 1921 caught polio and had to learn to walk again, and went on to win at high school track meets running the 220 yard race.

When I was in grade school in 1958, there was a girl in leg braces with polio.

The whole grade school stood in line 3 times and got our 3 polio shots. Those who scratched the scab, now have a scar on their shoulder.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=HughW
The reason for asking is I had polio with a direct impact of a smaller shorter leg leg and a curved spine. Now at 69 I am starting to have weakness in both legs, a hip issue (most likely due to the imbalance of leg lengths) and more shortness of breath issues. In seeing a physiotherapist that works with people that have had polio she advised that part of my breathing capacity could be due to polio in the spine as long term research has found that for people that had the disease in the upper body there was a high probability of reduced lung capacity as they aged. This does not show up as lung scarring just reduced capacity
[/quote]
I am 77. I could take your entire paragraph and put my name on it.In my early teens I was exposed to my cousin for an entire week the before he was diagnosed with it.Later a doctor told me I most likely contracted a milder case of it as the entire left side of my body quit growing for about 6 months. Now I am lop sided and my right side has given me problems because of it.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Polo crippled a good family friend before they knew what polo was, much like FDR.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I had polio in 1951, 18 months of age. It was a mostly below the waist affair for me. I had scholeos while in the hospital but no lasting effect. I worked a lot of hard labor jobs while in college and strenghtened my back. The real effect was with legs/feet.

I had/have a very tight, non-stretching left hamstring/acheles tendon. The fix was a z cut tendon lengthening in high school. My left gastronemius did not develop properly or at all.
My right leg is about 1/4-3/8 shorter. I also had a club foot that was surgicly modified (triple orthodesis) during the summer before my senior year in high school. My right hamstring is weak.
I have been very active my whole life including being a gym rat for years. The major effect is that I can't run for sh*t. I also don't climb very well however, most folks can't tell I have any issues unless I am very tired. My right foot is misshapen and sized weird so my hiking boots are custom and I wear an extra insole in the right boot or running shoe to level my leg length.

So far I can't tell I have any post polio syndrome issues however, I'm not dead yet.

My issues and YMMV.

IC B2

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks guys -- it seems to be a common theme that staying as active as possible delays / mitigates the effects of post polio syndrome. The polio physiotherapist I saw said much the same in that she was surprised at my activity level and encouraged me to keep it high as she saw quite a few people in my age bracket with polio that were now dependent on mechanical assistance of one form or another which she put down in many cases to a lack of activity.

I know there were a few people I went to school with that had polio worse than I did with full leg braces on both sides or needing walkers. Tough times back then for a lot of people.

I have no complaints about my life --- very active, worked hard, played hard -- just took me longer to get there as I am not a fast walker or runner. I can still put on the miles today and hopefully will be as active this next fall as I was this past one.

On post polio syndrome everything I have read is really not cure related -- more management of loss of function with physical therapy or pain management for the on-going nerve pain that can be present. Basically helping people age out.

It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the folks impacted by COVID as there will be post-covid symptoms for many.

Hugh
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 75 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,375 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,718
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.