Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wife fell for one of the expanding foam mattresses as a replacement to our very old “standard” mattress and box spring. Well it completely sucks. Very little support for a side sleeper. I wake up in a hole and frankly am ready to take it to the dump.

Looking to purchase a new king size mattress and box spring that is rather firm and put a topper on it. I am pretty overwhelmed at the varying price points. Not looking to spend a damn fortune but want to find a happy value spot. Any helpful insight/guidance on what to look for and what to avoid?

Last edited by woodson; 01/18/21.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You get what you pay for. That is the only wisdom I can offer. We all have different ideas of "comfortable" when it comes to beds. I prefer a coil-spring-and-memory-foam hybrid. Test out a bunch at a retailer, and buy with the understanding that you can return it after some test period if you don't like it. The last king bed I bought was 11 years ago, and it was 2 grand. It's been great. About time to replace it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
What brand of expanding foam mattress did you buy? We have one from Tuft and Needle that we received as a gift about seven years ago, and we have liked it a lot. It's firm with lots of support.

As far as traditional mattresses go, my family has always liked mattresses from Denver Mattress Company.

Researching mattresses can drive you crazy... it's a very deep rabbit hole to dive into.

woodson Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don’t know which brand she bought but it’s straight up garbage.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm interested in this topic as well....We are looking to replace our very old King sized bed with a new one. I like firm, the wife likes soft. Something that is middle of the road without breaking the bank would be nice.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My experiences in mattress buying.

Me- 'How much for this mattress?
Salesman- '$1595.00

Me-' Can you do any better?
Salesman- 'Yes $1300.00

Me- 'Let me think about it
Salesman- 'I'll let it go for $950.00

Me- 'nah, I'll let you know
Salesman- 'Before you leave, how about $750.00

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try a Sleep Number before you buy anything else .

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have a Sleep Number, has leaked since Day 1 and now the wireless remote doesn’t work, Its like sleeping in a hammock. I’d rather sleep on the floor with my Thermarest pad.

Last edited by Borchardt; 01/18/21.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1000 bucks for the king i got at mattress ranch here in fbks , no box spring as its unneeded....did I say ...its great ! The company that made it has been doing so since 1880 or so...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by woodson
I don’t know which brand she bought but it’s straight up garbage.
Like the one that came with our camper... Foam - and it sucked, bigly.. Went to the Mattress Factory and ordered a custom-sized (modified) Queen in a moderately firm setting.. $567 out the door.. MUCHO better.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad had a saying that I’ve always liked. “You are either on your feet or on your mattress, so don’t cheap out on either shoes or mattresses.” I’ll always buy local on either one, so that I can try before I buy. See my tag line about the quality lasting way longer than the joy of the low price. You can make more money, but since you are spending a third of you life in your bed, don’t cheap out.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been really happy with this for the 15 months I've had it: https://sleephappens.com/collection...dge-firm-mattress?variant=32868195500135

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

We bought a Sleep Number, Kalifornia King with optional independent head elevation .....it sucks! We’ve tried many different comfort settings.....haven’t found the correct # yet! We really wish we’d kept our old bed! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Researching mattresses can indeed drive you nuts. The big mattress companies change something like the fabric pattern and rename it for each mattress store so you never know if you’re comparing similar products when shopping.

Stay away from the mattress stores, they’re like dealing with used car salesmen. Go to Sams club or Costco, they’ve got top of the line name brand mattresses for fair prices I’ve got a $2000 mattress from one of the mattress stores that’s now in the guest room, the $600 Sealy from Sams is on my bed and I like it a lot more.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bought a $1500 Beauty Rest from the mattress store for our bedroom and a $500 Serta from Castco for the guest room. I can't tell the difference. Mattress stores are like car lots.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by woodson
Wife fell for one of the expanding foam mattresses as a replacement to our very old “standard” mattress and box spring. Well it completely sucks. Very little support for a side sleeper. I wake up in a hole and frankly am ready to take it to the dump.

Looking to purchase a new king size mattress and box spring that is rather firm and put a topper on it. I am pretty overwhelmed at the varying price points. Not looking to spend a damn fortune but want to find a happy value spot. Any helpful insight/guidance on what to look for and what to avoid?

https://www.themattressunderground.com/

Dave

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
We went to a furniture store we have dealt with for thirty years. You speak to the owner. The owner was the father, now it is the son. They provide lifetime guarantees on most of their merchandise and honor that guarantee, including one mattress they had rebuilt and recovered for us free of charge.

This time with their recommendation, we bought a Sealey with the memory foam top. After five years it is just beginning to show a depression where Momma and I habitually sleep. Far better than any innerspring in my experience. About $1000, if I remember correctly. We saved several $100 as we were able to use the box springs from our previous mattress.

The covers do not match, but they are not visible in the bedroom anyway, always covered by sheets, ruffle, and blankets.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Sleep number was the worst for dollar mattress we ever had. Four grand and gave it to my granddaughter. We were sleeping in holes so we contacted them. Mattress was 3 years old so they told us to blow it up hard and put a foam pad on. Quite the lifetime warranty! Edk

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had a sleep number for 12 years and love it. My daughter has one in her room and when she was home for christmas break commented on how much nicer it was than the bed she had a college.

If God can get by on 10%, why does the government need 90%
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The wife and I are on our third from the Original Mattress Factory. Hand built in Hotlanta, GA. Not half bad. Rather than getting a king (which is hugely heavy to move around, we got two twin XL's. Pushed side by side, that equals a king. Topped with 100% latex topper... 3" thick. Seems to be a good set-up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,911 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,549
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.