Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15669987 01/17/21
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Buddy of mine is getting into the big bore revolver game with a 480 Ruger SRH.
If anyone has any experience with the 480, (i.e. Suggested loads, on game performance, etc) I would appreciate the info

Thanks....

I already suggested a very stout squib load removing rod...lol

Burt2506

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My favorite handgun caliber.

WFN cast or LFN cast for a little more range for game. ~335gn-400-ish. Lehigh 300gn Penetrator and especially the 330gn solid copper are superb performing.

296/H110...run at full book load values.

Handles beautifully and very accurate with ~1000-1200fps loadings.

VV N110 works really well as does 2400 for less recoil. You can use Unique, but be triple careful that you don't overload!

Really strong support grip recommended. See Max Prasac videos on newbTube.

Never fire this weapon with weak, sloppy grip and *as with all firearms* (especially this one), NEVER put your finger on the trigger until READY to fire! This IS a powerful firearm, but is a pleasure to shoot and not as monster-ish as a .454 Casull.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I've had one for several years now, a Ruger Bisley 6.5 inch. I'd have to say it's my favorite big bore handgun. I like it better than my 500 Linebaugh. I shoot it well. I haven't found a load it doesn't like. I shoot strictly cast in mine, 350 to 420 grain. Two of the best bullets I've used so far have both been from Lee molds. One is a 400 grain SWC and the other a 400 grain FP, pretty close to an LBT WLN in profile. Both are exceptional shooters. I have Mihec molds for a 420 grain bullet and 350 grain. I haven't done much with them yet. I also have a Mountain Molds 385 grain WLNGC mold and it shoots exceptionally well. I don't like messing with the gas checks but a friend sold it to me for a really good price.

I have used Unique, Trailboss, HS6, 2400, 4227 and H110 in mine. It likes all of them. My back country bear load is 19 grains of 2400 under either Lee 400 grain, cast fairly hard, 18-20 BHN.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the replies... everything I have read is that the 480 is more shootable than the 454 with full house loads.\\He has been able to find a box of Barnes XPB & a box of 275 Speer Deep Curl.

Not sure what kind of powder he is has (probably H110), but I figure he will go with jacketed bullets at least for now, as he is not a caster.

We will see.

I expect shooting it will be more enjoyable than the 500 his neighbor HAD.

Thanks,
burt2506

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I’ve never shot any light bullets in mine. My lightest mold will drop a 325 grain if I use the HP pins.

I’d encourage him to try some Unique or HS6. Both good mid range powders in the 480. H110 is a great powder but really a one trick pony with revolver rounds. It won’t take long to tire of heavy loads if he does much shooting.

2400 and 4227 will both give top end performance close to H110 but can stand some down loading. H110 doesn’t do light loads. I know several guys on the Single Action forum have had good success with Longshot. The Single Action forum is a great resource for 480 data.

480 data

More 480

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by burt2506
Thanks for the replies... everything I have read is that the 480 is more shootable than the 454 with full house loads

I read the same thing but I did not find it to be true. Shooting Hornady 300 grain XTP factory .454 beside Hornady 325 grain XTP factory .480, the .480 was "worse" for me. Sold the .480, kept the .454. Both Ruger Bisleys.

The only plus I found to the .480 was the gun was sloppier and more tolerant of "soot", so I could shoot reduced loads in it. My .454 is tight. Light/medium loads with HS-6 leave enough soot to tie up the cylinder. No such problem with higher pressure loads of 2400 or Win 296, they "self clean" rather than building up powder residue.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No offense, but if you had shot cast instead of the Hornady offerings...you'd still have the .480Ruger.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In a Ruger Redhawk (not Super) converted to 480 Ruger loads with Hornady brass had sticky extraction but comparable loads in Starline brass fell from the cylinder,

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I have 3 of the 5 shot Bisleys - a 6.5" and (2) 4-5/8". I only shoot cast in the 350-400 gr range and use mostly 4227 (20-21 gr).

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
No offense, but if you had shot cast instead of the Hornady offerings...you'd still have the .480Ruger.

Irrelevant since I didn't buy either to shoot cast. If I wanted to shoot cast I'd have bought a .45 Colt.

As a side note, when someone says "no offense, but" what I hear is "I'm going to be offensive but you're not allowed to get mad at me for being a dick." Is that what you really intended to convey? Just curious.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Appears you are new to cast bullet shooting. You'll learn, smartyboy...er...puss ecrybaby.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two Ruger .480's, a 7.5" barreled Super Redhawk and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk Bisley. Both are great shooters. I shoot 410 gr. lead WFNGC bullets through both, and use IMR 4227 powder. These loads are easy to manage, very accurate, and far less expensive to shoot than factory ammo. I also have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, but I much prefer the milder recoil of the Rugers over my FA revolver.

Last June, I went on a meat hunt for bison, and took the SRH loaded up with 425 gr. Cast Performance bullets, at a MV of 1200 fps. This is serious large big game medicine!
BTW-I see no reason whatsoever to use anything but heavy, cast lead bullets in .480. No hollowpoints needed here- with a bullet diameter of .475 inches, these bullets are already 'expanded' by default.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Irrelevant since I didn't buy either to shoot cast. If I wanted to shoot cast I'd have bought a .45 Colt.

As a side note, when someone says "no offense, but" what I hear is "I'm going to be offensive but you're not allowed to get mad at me for being a dick." Is that what you really intended to convey? Just curious.

Tom

If you take offense when someone offers experience you don't have, you may be a liberal, and a female, and have sand in your vagina.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Bighorn
I have two Ruger .480's, a 7.5" barreled Super Redhawk and a 4 5/8" Super Blackhawk Bisley. Both are great shooters. I shoot 410 gr. lead WFNGC bullets through both, and use IMR 4227 powder. These loads are easy to manage, very accurate, and far less expensive to shoot than factory ammo. I also have a Freedom Arms .454 Casull, but I much prefer the milder recoil of the Rugers over my FA revolver.

Last June, I went on a meat hunt for bison, and took the SRH loaded up with 425 gr. Cast Performance bullets, at a MV of 1200 fps. This is serious large big game medicine!
BTW-I see no reason whatsoever to use anything but heavy, cast lead bullets in .480. No hollowpoints needed here- with a bullet diameter of .475 inches, these bullets are already 'expanded' by default.

I have to agree. I never got the light bullet, big bore thing. It's like shooting a collar button. I guess velocity is everything to some shooters. A 480 with a 400 grain bullet, cast hard, at 1100-1200 fps is capable of some very heavy lifting.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
guys,
Thanks to yall for the links, suggestions & info.... he just got the call from his FFL that the gun arrived.

I suggested that cast or heavy bullets are where its at with the 480, but right now he is just excited to shoot it.... his deal not mine.

I will keep yall posted..... burt2506

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
so.... looked at the gun over the weekend.. NIB stainless SRH. beautiful gun. Locks up like a vault..kinda feels like one too

good grief what a hole in the end of the barrel..lol

His dies still havent arrived but should in the next couple days. He has Hornady brass, Speer HotCor bullets & a few primers, so he is ready to roll.
He is gonna try to get some hardcast lead for it, but right now he is just excited to shoot it. He got 2 boxes of factory Hornadys for it (at $30.00 /box) so he should be set.

What type of optic / aiming system do yall have on your handcannons? red dot, scope or??

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My .480 SRH wears an Ultradot Gen 2, 2 MOA dot sight. Very durable, and dot size is small enough to make accurate shots at 100 yards.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Accurate shots at 100 yards is pretty damn good shooting with a .480.

Will have to try that without optics to see how close I can get.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by burt2506

What type of optic / aiming system do yall have on your handcannons? red dot, scope or??

When I first got mine, I put a 2X Extended Eye Relief Leupold on it. It was hard to get used to and took a lot of practice. I got pretty good with it, but the problem with the scope was that it was unusable during the first 15 minutes of daylight and the last 15 minutes of daylight. It just didn't work in low light situations. After about 6 or 8 years, I took the scope off and put on a 30mm Ultra Dot. It doesn't have any magnification, but it's much easier to use. I'm very happy with the Ultra Dot and it hasn't broken yet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have a pair, a 9.5 Inch SRH as well as an Alaskan. I load my hunting loads with AA#9, H110, and 300MP. I have a Custom 375 grain WFN-GC Mountain Mold. I also have a Pat Marlin 480 Gas Check Maker. The First 480 Gas Check maker that he made. Best load?? I would drop a couple grains off a Full House Book Load and see what he thinks. He can wind it on up if he wants.
I originally had a 30mm UltraDot on it. I have since upgraded to a 30mm MatchDot II. This required the installation of a Weigand 454 SRH Scope Base to get the rings far enough apart for the MatchDot sight. Two versions, the 454 version is heavier duty. The advantage of the MatchDot II is the 2 MOA Dot option. This makes a slight difference in Dot Bloom Late and Early. I have a deep valley in the woods I hunt in that gets dark early.
I shoot mostly shot shells in the Alaskan. You can kill copperheads from the tractor seat with it.
My local dealer has a Bisley in 480 that really tempts me. The $1150 price tag has kept me at bay however. Not 100% sure on the barrel length 5.5 or 6.5 would be my guess.

Bob R

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
778 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 89 invisible), 2,858 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,046
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.