Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just loaded some rounds. Adjusted the die as recommended. Upon seating the bullets, about 60% of the bullets were tight in the neck, the remaining bullets, while not entirely loose, could be moved sightly with finger pressure. My assumption is that the necks of the brass were not of uniform thickness. Is this a correct hypothesis? Probably would not be an issue if these cartridges were just going to the range, But using them in hunting conditions causes me pause.

Would appreciate the benefit of your experiences, thoughts, and suggestions. (If it matters: 257 Roberts, 100gr Hornady ILs, R-P brass.)

BP-B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Not a gun writer. I would guess the problem has to do with brass springing. Try annealing your brass or getting an undersized mandrel.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Do a search on here of how to set up these dies by member Mathman
The factory instructions do not work as well
If that doesn’t work take the mandrel out and spin it in a drill and take a bit off the thickness with some 360 grit sand paper, or order an undersized mandrel from Lee

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Simple solution... just tighten the die just a hair by turning it say a 1/8 to a 1/4 turn...clock wise...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The die squeezes the neck around a mandrel. The brass thickness shouldn't matter, that would affect your outside neck diameter after sizing, not the inside diameter.
As 375Taylor said above, it sounds like you need to anneal your brass. The loose necks have probably been work hardened and are springing back excessively.
That, or you are not providing uniform pressure on your press stroke.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Seafire’s solution worked for me when I experienced that issue.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys...very helpful feedback!

Is there any concern of pushing the shoulder back and thereby screwing up headspace by screwing the die down lower?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by southtexas
Thanks, guys...very helpful feedback!

Is there any concern of pushing the shoulder back and thereby screwing up headspace by screwing the die down lower?

The die doesn't affect headspace, so it won't be an issue.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have several Lee collet dies that I have had to sand down the mandrel to get better neck tension.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nmitchell
I have several Lee collet dies that I have had to sand down the mandrel to get better neck tension.

Neil

Sounds like an issue that Lee should address!

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by nmitchell

Neil

Sounds like an issue that Lee should address!

They'll sell you a mandrel for a nominal fee. Just need to specify the size you want.

OR you can cut down the one you have.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

As mentioned, the brass might not be springing back consistently enough and may need annealed.

Every one of my LCD's with the standard mandrel sized brass with minimal tension. I have learned to order standard and undersize mandrels when I buy a new LCD, and sand the down the mandrel to "fit" different brands/lots of brass.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Put a mic on the mandrel you have now and see what's what.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I find a .002 undersize mandrel is about right. I order from Lee when I order a new collet die automatically now.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
Put a mic on the mandrel you have now and see what's what.

Ture. I have three standard size 6mm mandrels, none of them mic the same diameter.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
IIRC, the cost of a mandrel is around five bucks, or so. At least that's what I remember from a while back.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How can it be the mandrel when the OP said 60% of the reloads have tight necks/bullets? Technique and brass come to mind here.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, I have found the "springiness" of the brass has much to do with success when using LC dies.

And even though they're more tolerant of uneven neck thickness than expander-ball or bushing dies, uneven necks can still have an effect.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Gentlemen: FWIW: I tried Seafire's advice and that seemed to do the trick.Still puzzled as to why some rounds were initially OK, and others needed an additional squeeze. Must be the "springiness" phenomenon.

Thanks again for all the assistance. That's why I hang around here!.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Gentlemen: FWIW: I tried Seafire's advice and that seemed to do the trick.Still puzzled as to why some rounds were initially OK, and others needed an additional squeeze. Must be the "springiness" phenomenon.

Thanks again for all the assistance. That's why I hang around here!.

The simplest solution is always the best solution!

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,745 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,640
Posts18,399,000
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.