-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. One gets what he pays for and there's about 300% markup on bedding. Hit the sources and spend some serious time trying things out before making a purchase.

1Minute
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just bought two mattress sets for my boys on Saturday. My recommendation for you would be to go to one of the big furniture stores that carry mattresses and have all of the various brands. That's what we did. Take your wife with you and try them out. Obviously, a side sleeper needs more support than a back sleeper. The store had all the major brands, Seely, Beautyrest, you name it. Both boys did this and they ended up picking different mattresses that seemed to feel better to each one of them. I would imagine you and the wife could find one that would be a compromise for both of you and one that you each could live with. Those expensive memory foam or sleep number beds, I'd stay away from them. Too many horror stories about them to take a chance with that kind of money.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by woodson
Wife fell for one of the expanding foam mattresses as a replacement to our very old “standard” mattress and box spring. Well it completely sucks. Very little support for a side sleeper. I wake up in a hole and frankly am ready to take it to the dump.

Looking to purchase a new king size mattress and box spring that is rather firm and put a topper on it. I am pretty overwhelmed at the varying price points. Not looking to spend a damn fortune but want to find a happy value spot. Any helpful insight/guidance on what to look for and what to avoid?

I think box springs are a thing of the past. The adjustable bases that are available now are incredible. I dont have one yet, but will soon. We are having trouble selecting a mattress. The bases, though with the ability to raise your feet, raise your head, have a tv watching position etc all help sleep in the most comfortable manner, is what I understand. Sleeping with your feet slightly elevated for the first half hour or so is really nice and comfortable. I would focus on the adjustable frame that works for you, and from there, pick the mattress you want.

woodson Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
This is really a exhausting thing to research. It’s so subjective.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lot of people are bought mattresses from outside the country because of outgassing of the flame retardant required in the usa.
Doctor bill degal at one of my conferences also warned against memory foam for that reason. Apparently its carcinogenic. 8 Hours breathing those chemicals is a personal concern. I will look into options when the weather warms as you are.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Have a Sleep Number, has leaked since Day 1 and now the wireless remote doesn’t work, Its like sleeping in a hammock. I’d rather sleep on the floor with my Thermarest pad.

Its leaked from day 1 and you didnt use the 20 year warranty?

Ours is 10 years old and is great.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have a sleep number and my wife and I really like it. Mine has a 25 year warranty. Dog chewed up the remote and I had to buy another one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We replaced our king size with a Saatva and have been very happy. Made in the US after you order it. Delivered to your home and will also take away your old mattress if you don't want it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
W
W
Originally Posted by woodson
This is really a exhausting thing to research. It’s so subjective.

Agree, 100%. I bought a Nectar and found it to be too firm because I’m a lady and only weigh 115lbs. Felt like I was sleeping on plywood. I bought a 3” memory foam topper and it’s better but I still resent the mattress. I shouldn’t have had to spend $100 on a topper for a brand new $900 mattress. Luckily it has a 1 year guarantee so I still might return it. I don’t love it at all.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Get a Sleep Number and don't ever be disappointed again.

And get the best sleep you've ever gotten as well. The only bitching I've ever heard about a Sleep Number is the price.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Try a Sleep Number before you buy anything else .

Sorry, but I have nothing but bad to say about Sleep Number Beds. Biggest piece of $chit I've ever bought.

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Have a Sleep Number, has leaked since Day 1 and now the wireless remote doesn’t work, Its like sleeping in a hammock. I’d rather sleep on the floor with my Thermarest pad.

Yep. Exactly!!

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I hate my Beauty Rest mattress. A high priced hammock.

Last edited by MM879; 01/18/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd get a badass king-sized heated water bed with a gold embossed mirror embedded into a massive headboard full of candles.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Coil spring and natural latex.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We gave our sleep number away to the neighbor kid within less than a year and a half of purchase. Leaked, pump went out... twice. Backaches... you name it. Worst bed we ever had.

Best we ever had was a $3500.00 Serta (IIRC) with coilsprings and memory foam. Wife and I used to joke about having a custody battle over it if we ever divorced. It gave up the ghost after 13 years and we went and bought a $1500.00 mattress at a local mattress store. I have not had a good nights sleep in over a year. I wake up with hurting shoulders and back. Forget about side sleeping, almost crippling! Moving in 6 weeks... will be replacing it.

Last edited by 280Rem1; 01/18/21.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by slg888
My experiences in mattress buying.

Me- 'How much for this mattress?
Salesman- '$1595.00

Me-' Can you do any better?
Salesman- 'Yes $1300.00

Me- 'Let me think about it
Salesman- 'I'll let it go for $950.00

Me- 'nah, I'll let you know
Salesman- 'Before you leave, how about $750.00

This
#1 There is LOTS of wiggle room on expensive mattress.
#2 Some of the cheaper mattresses are just as comfortable as the expensive ones.

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,339 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.