Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by mathman
Movies are most often FOS when it comes to firearms realism.

Most writers, directors, actors, and producers know virtually nothing about firearms, other than they go "Bang!," and in real life, should be confiscated from the unwashed worker peasants. There are a few who are knowledgeable but damned few. That's the way it is in Hollywood.

L.W.

Wayne was said to be a real shooter.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Most writers, directors, actors, and producers know virtually nothing about firearms, other than they go "Bang!," and in real life, should be confiscated from the unwashed worker peasants. There are a few who are knowledgeable but damned few. That's the way it is in Hollywood.

L.W.

Wayne was said to be a real shooter.

Lee Marvin and Steve McQueen both were decorated Marine war vets, and Marvin was a big hunter. But they don't make actors like that any more.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I thought Steve was in the Navy. Got mesothelioma from working with asbestos on a ship.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by test1328
One of the worst movies I've ever seen was Pekinpah's Billy the Kid. Now, Young Guns, was well done and entertaining. Estevez nailed it as Billy. The "actors" in Pekinpah's were terrible all the way around.

Peckinpah's movies were not about plot or anything like that; the violence and cruelty were the focus.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought that dimes existed to determine the choke of a 12 gauge barrel.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Worst fugging movie I’ve ever seen. Save your time and money.

Wait, there’s a worse one out. ... “The Marksman”

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Is that the one where they throw their arm to shoot around corners? I'm not kidding. It was hilarious.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jiveturkey

Are you telling me Deathwish isn't realistic.Bad guys get shot with .32 s&w, and they fly back 5ft.

It would take at least a 38 Special for that. grin

I thought it was a 44 Auto-Mag?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hell I'd bet dimes work fine but then I'd prolly stick a dab of super glue between them. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 19352012

Is that the one where they throw their arm to shoot around corners? I'm not kidding. It was hilarious.

No it just came out, Liam Neeson as a Vietnam Veteran/Arizona rancher saving a Mexican kid from a Cartel, turns out he can beat up Cartel guys and Cops and everything.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012

No it just came out, Liam Neeson as a Vietnam Veteran/Arizona rancher saving a Mexican kid from a Cartel, turns out he can beat up Cartel guys and Cops and everything.

Dont be dissin Aslan, buddy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
-
Lee Marvin and Steve McQueen both were decorated Marine war vets, and Marvin was a big hunter. But they don't make actors like that any more.

Steve McQueen was in the Marines but was never in combat. Lee Marvin certainly was.

From McQueen's bio on imdb.com

" ... McQueen joined the Marine Corps at age 17 and worked as a tank driver and mechanic. He earned a commendation for rescuing five Marines during a training accident. According to military records released by the Pentagon in 2005, Marine Pfc. Steve McQueen was confined to base for 41 days and fined $90 for being absent without leave (AWOL) from Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. (Some sources indicate he was AWOL for as long as 21 days [3 weeks] but the exact amount of time he was AWOL is unconfirmed.) He avoided a dishonorable discharge and later took advantage of the GI Bill's education benefits to study at the Actors Studio in New York. ..."

EDIT: TRH, yes, John Wayne was a shooter and hunter. When I lived in L.A., I had a friend who used to hunt ducks and geese with him in northern Calif., in the Tulelake area. There was at that time, great duck and goose hunting there. I don't know how the hunting is there now. I think Wayne owned a lodge there.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 01/18/21.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thank you, Leanwolf. I had always thought that McQueen was in the Navy. I thought he caught mesothelioma working with asbestos aboard ship. Here is a little info from a Mesothelioma web site:

"It’s highly likely that McQueen’s first exposure to asbestos, however, was during his time in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1947–1950. Through his service, McQueen spent time working onboard naval ships and in the shipyards.

Service aboard military ships posed some of the greatest threat for asbestos exposure. Marines, sailors, and airmen made contact with the deadly material in nearly every area of these ships, from the boiler and engine rooms to the deck and sleeping quarters. Living and working in tight quarters with poor ventilation meant any disturbed asbestos fibers would be even more concentrated in the air."

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
One dollar (in dimes) would be equivalent to $25 to $40 these days. I doubt anybody was loading up shells at $40 a shot back then.....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
McQueen was a Marine, of that I’m certain, pretty sure only Marvin saw combat though, was wounded on Saipan.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I had always thought that McQueen was in the Navy.

Possibly you've watched The Sand Pebbles too many times.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I had always thought that McQueen was in the Navy.

Possibly you've watched The Sand Pebbles too many times.

Wait, what? Are you saying that wasn't actual footage of a real event?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I didn't think Hanks' movie was THAT bad. Helped fill a covid evening.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1234, 2500HD, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 280fan, 222Sako, 40 invisible), 2,709 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,925
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.