Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Well, sure. If you've got cash in hand you can pay whatever you want for anything. But full cash purchases represent a very small percentage of real estate sales.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by Switch
You guys must had chosen bad realtors, I'm not a realtor, but seems like you're stepping over a dollar to save a dime.On on probably one of the biggest financial deals of your lives the realtor's commission is very cheap insurance.Lots of of pit falls in real estate transactions. Do you trust your other financial transactions to free on line advice? Do you know what the real value of your house is, Zillow sure as hell doesn't! Can you evaulate best offer with all the ins and out of offers,. Hand shake or do you have a contract? These days hand shake deals or always trouble!

You use a lawyer for $1000 or a realtor for $18000+. Its your money, do what you want.

I am a semi-retired Realtor. A lawyer is certainly qualified to read over a contract and tell you if it is what you think it says. However, a lawyer knows nothing of your area real estate market trends, home warranty coverages and prices. Lawyers know nothing about marketing properties nor will they make any attempt to do so. Lawyers do not, as a rule, research and see to the issuing of property tax issues and HOA regulations, fees, transfers, etc. What about any required or desired insurance for the property? What about any flooding potential? Again, not a lawyer's area of expertise. Lawyers know nothing about arranging financing for the buyer. You may think that is not an issue for the seller, but you would be very much mistaken. Basically, this is the buyer's responsibility, but just because a buyer says they want to or say they have the ability to buy your property is meaningless. Furthermore, just because they say or even if they have a lender say they have financing arranged, do they really? A good Realtor will research this. Realistically, even then financing may fall through. Many lenders will give a letter saying that a buyer is pre-qualified for a loan. This is a perfectly legal document that a lawyer would find no problems with. However, don't be fooled, it actually only says that the buyer has spoken with them. It does not say they will do a loan. I have actually had loan officers send me a pre-qual form letter and tell me to just fill in the buyer's name and the amount needed for anything I wanted and they would figure out after a contract was accepted and negotiated if they could do the loan. By the way, I have always refused to do so as I consider this to be unethical at best and fraudulent at least. A good Realtor will try to establish if a buyer actually can qualify for a purchase, even if the buyer is represented by another Realtor. I, as a seller's agent, have several times arranged for a buyer's financing on a transaction that the buyer's original lender was unable to complete, saving the transaction. Lawyers simply do not do any of this. It is not their expertise. As an example, I have a good friend who is a well experienced lawyer who just closed the sale of his home this past Friday. It was a $400K+ transaction. He gladly used a local to him Realtor and paid full commission. No, it was not me as he lives 6 hours away and in a state that I am not licensed in. Some suggest Zillow. Let me tell you something: Somethings on Zillow are accurate. Much of it is not. I have on several occasions had people come into my office and want to see a property they saw on Zillow. I would look up the property and find that not only was it not currently on the market, but it had last sold 4 or 5 years ago. Two such buyers got extremely irate and accused me of being grossly incompetent as they showed me on Zillow the properties. I tried to explain this to them respectfully to no avail. I finally told them to go to the properties, knock on the door and ask whomever was living there if I was lying or not. Never heard from them again. You see, Zillow would pull property listings from the local Multiple Listing Service and post them on their site. That's fine and dandy, but they never would update the site when a property sold or went off the market, making it look like all these houses were available on Zillow. This also led people to believe that the prices for properties that were on the market 5 or 6 years ago were current comps for the area. Not true at all. Another example of misleading Zillow info is that they would give an estimated property value by comparing the general area building size prices per square foot sales or tax value and calculating this to determine a building's value. Well, this is fine and dandy IF you are comparing comparable properties. Zillow does not look at properties. I had a potential buyer contact me from west Texas who was wanting to buy a property that he was convinced was a steal that he found on Zillow located in Galveston. I went and looked at it for him and he was not pleased with what I told him. The property would cost him more money to demo and clear the lot than the lot value would be. It was unfit to occupy and dangerous to enter. But, according to Zillow, the property was worth multiple 6 figures. So, yeah, I've a pretty low opinion of Zillow. Zillow is OK if you can find something that is accurate and current. The problem is, finding something that is current and accurate. On the other hand, if you have someone to buy your property and have the expertise to work with a title company to handle the closing documents, escrow funds, arrange for inspections and negotiate any resulting repairs needed, arrange for any survey that may be needed by local authorities or arrange for an existing one to be approved, tax required documents and tax pay offs, do lien and judgement research, can get a sales contract legally and properly prepared and executed, arrange for and negotiate any home warranty and any repair negotiations, arrange for any HOA transfer documents and approvals, arrange for any financing needed, etc., etc., then by all means do so yourself. Some transactions are relatively easy. Most all will have unexpected surprises, even when purchasing a new home. Sorry for the long post, but there is a lot to these real estate transactions than what meets the eye. Some, a LOT more so than others.

What is a paragraph Alex?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I found my house through Zillow,but realtors were still involved.

Putting a sign in the yard is the cheapest and many times productive. I've used them with success before, but again, realtors were also used.

I have sold two houses that we only needed a lawyer on with a sign in the yard. For one I wrote a contract and for the other the lawyer did.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’ve always used a realtor but two years ago after my wife resigned her position to help me run the business I convinced her to get her license. Even if she just lists and does nothing else, she still gets 2.5%. Helps cover the cost of her running our office and managing property.

She’s hands down the best investment we ever made in our business.
I married way the fugg up. Smart, beautiful, best mother ever, work ethic, driven.... the commission she makes being passive income allows her the luxury of actually being an ethical realtor. Probably the only one I’ve ever met!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by SamOlson
If I ever sell my house(or property) I would tell the realtor..... Hey, this is what I want, you get anymore, keep it.

Pretty much any Realtor is going to check the comps and price your property accordingly. Most properties won't exceed current comps by very much at all. Even if someone offers a price that's higher than the comps, the banks won't finance it for more than the comps indicate it's worth.

Unless there’s a bigger cash down.......Around here offers that come in over are common and almost always all cash quick close. These are $700,000+ homes so it’s not just a little bit of cash. My dad sold the family home after mom died and it was all cash, no inspection, quick close. My buddy just sold his last 6 homes here and everyone came in way over asking (comp+) and every one was all cash. He started to list the minimum asking and begin accepting offers that he’d open and review after a predetermined amount of days (5-10 days). He was able to go through and accept the one that best suited them....all cash quick close. It was worth it to him to accept an offer that was $10k less than the highest offer but more than asking if it was cash.

Exactly what we are seeing around our property in north Idaho. Cash buys above listing.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Appropriately priced houses around here aren't staying on the market a week. Clients contact my wife wanting to see a property and my wife tells them "let's go today". They usually have to lose two or three houses before they understand that they can't put it off for a day or two.

One of her clients made a full price offer today on a house that had been on the market less than 24 hours. He lost a chance on one house because he didn't want to go see it Saturday,..as she recommended. It sold Saturday afternoon. So the buyer was ready to buy this house today. One offer had already been made when they got there to view it this afternoon.

Some of the sellers don't understand the current market. They want to put their house up for sale and they haven't located a place to live. Of course, there's usually a month lapse between an offer being accepted and the new buyers actually moving in. But if you put your house for sale around here right now, you need to have a good handle on your next residence.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Housing market near everywhere is fairly frantic today. It's the result of 10+ years of nearly free money.

10 -15 years ago it was Denver, Seattle, Oakland, etc.....Today it's every little schithole in the country. Get a loan at 2.dick interest for 40 or 50 years and all a sudden everything is affordable.

It won't turn out well.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Bought and sold 12 properties in the past 20 years. If I know the market, no need for an agent. If I don't know the market, I'll get an agent involved. Just depends.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Be sure and check out prices that other homes are selling for in your area .

In a lot of places new home building hasn't caught up with demand . Homes are selling for thousands more than appraisal.

They won't sell for thousands more than appraisal if there is any financing involved, cash buyers are different story, but cash buyers don't have the cash because they're stupid!

Last edited by Switch; 01/18/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Bristoe
If I ever sell my house(or property) I would tell the realtor..... Hey, this is what I want, you get anymore, keep it.

Pretty much any Realtor is going to check the comps and price your property accordingly. Most properties won't exceed current comps by very much at all. Even if someone offers a price that's higher than the comps, the banks won't finance it for more than the comps indicate it's worth.

Unless there’s a bigger cash down.......Around here offers that come in over are common and almost always all cash quick close. These are $700,000+ homes so it’s not just a little bit of cash. My dad sold the family home after mom died and it was all cash, no inspection, quick close. My buddy just sold his last 6 homes here and everyone came in way over asking (comp+) and every one was all cash. He started to list the minimum asking and begin accepting offers that he’d open and review after a predetermined amount of days (5-10 days). He was able to go through and accept the one that best suited them....all cash quick close. It was worth it to him to accept an offer that was $10k less than the highest offer but more than asking if it was cash.

Exactly what we are seeing around our property in north Idaho. Cash buys above listing.

People that have cash are usually not stupid and may pay a little above market, but not much. Everybody thinks thinks their house is the best, but the market says different in most cases. The want over asking when they buy and then want to low ball when they sell. This is just the same as buying rifles here on the "Fire", most everyone thinks their rifles are worth much more than they are. This really shows up in custom guns and houses.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
PNW is awash in Chinese money.

List a house around Seattle and some executive from Huawei that’s trying to move his money out of China is gonna pay list+ in cash. Its gotten ridiculous.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I will be selling a home in Prince William County Virginia here shortly as well as another in Stafford County Virginia. Both of these counties are in the top 10 wealthiest counties in America.

I plan to land contract both of these properties to the hard-working totally committed to family dedicated illegal immigrants of America with a 20% downpayment.

The Democratic libtard communist racist neighbors of mine that tell me I hate Hispanics and blacks will have the opportunity to fully embrace 12 Buicks up on cinder blocks add a family occupied by no less than 30 people each.

Glorious days ahead for my neighbors who embrace the Democratic Nirvana

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
The last home we sold convinced me that a good real-estate agent is just like any professional, if they are great at what they do they are worth every penny and then some. We hade done it before and were just getting ready to sell it ourselves. We paid for an appraisal to get an idea what to ask. We were having a yard sale to get rid of stuff before advertising , at the sale a lady introduced herself as the leader of the best property sales team in the state and ask how much would we like to walk away with. I told her with the way things were selling we would like around 20,000 over appraisal. So bottom line she said we were not familiar with and or kept up with the market and if we could give her a chance she could get us a very large amount over what we wanted and she would only take a percentage if she got over that amount. That was the second to the last weekend we owned the home. We had absolutely no hassle's to deal with it was a great transaction. I think every area produces figures showing the most successful sales people, also I think every sales person has one or more buyers on the hook all the time. Without a professional we were prepared to leave laying on the table what is most likely turning into a nice cabin for us.

All This! And the circus too?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't realize there was this much stupid here willing / dying to throw their money away.

I've bought and sold over a hundred houses. Seems it was a waste of time describing in detail how to do that.

Feel free to throw your money away on realtors.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You guys must had chosen bad realtors, I'm not a realtor, but seems like you're stepping over a dollar to save a dime.On on probably one of the biggest financial deals of your lives the realtor's commission is very cheap insurance.Lots of of pit falls in real estate transactions. Do you trust your other financial transactions to free on line advice? Do you know what the real value of your house is, Zillow sure as hell doesn't! Can you evaulate best offer with all the ins and out of offers,. Hand shake or do you have a contract? These days hand shake deals or always trouble!

You are vastly overstating the value of a huge percentage of realtors out there these days.

And you are also ignoring the reality that most everything a good realtor could offer in the deal, can be had for far less and with far better results by hiring people as needed such as a real estate lawyer to creat a buy sell and do a title search etc.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by 19352012

You use a lawyer for $1000 or a realtor for $18000+. Its your money, do what you want.

I am a semi-retired Realtor. A lawyer is certainly qualified to read over a contract and tell you if it is what you think it says. However, a lawyer knows nothing of your area real estate market trends, home warranty coverages and prices. Lawyers know nothing about marketing properties nor will they make any attempt to do so. Lawyers do not, as a rule, research and see to the issuing of property tax issues and HOA regulations, fees, transfers, etc. What about any required or desired insurance for the property? What about any flooding potential? Again, not a lawyer's area of expertise. Lawyers know nothing about arranging financing for the buyer. You may think that is not an issue for the seller, but you would be very much mistaken. Basically, this is the buyer's responsibility, but just because a buyer says they want to or say they have the ability to buy your property is meaningless. Furthermore, just because they say or even if they have a lender say they have financing arranged, do they really? A good Realtor will research this. Realistically, even then financing may fall through. Many lenders will give a letter saying that a buyer is pre-qualified for a loan. This is a perfectly legal document that a lawyer would find no problems with. However, don't be fooled, it actually only says that the buyer has spoken with them. It does not say they will do a loan. I have actually had loan officers send me a pre-qual form letter and tell me to just fill in the buyer's name and the amount needed for anything I wanted and they would figure out after a contract was accepted and negotiated if they could do the loan. By the way, I have always refused to do so as I consider this to be unethical at best and fraudulent at least. A good Realtor will try to establish if a buyer actually can qualify for a purchase, even if the buyer is represented by another Realtor. I, as a seller's agent, have several times arranged for a buyer's financing on a transaction that the buyer's original lender was unable to complete, saving the transaction. Lawyers simply do not do any of this. It is not their expertise. As an example, I have a good friend who is a well experienced lawyer who just closed the sale of his home this past Friday. It was a $400K+ transaction. He gladly used a local to him Realtor and paid full commission. No, it was not me as he lives 6 hours away and in a state that I am not licensed in. Some suggest Zillow. Let me tell you something: Somethings on Zillow are accurate. Much of it is not. I have on several occasions had people come into my office and want to see a property they saw on Zillow. I would look up the property and find that not only was it not currently on the market, but it had last sold 4 or 5 years ago. Two such buyers got extremely irate and accused me of being grossly incompetent as they showed me on Zillow the properties. I tried to explain this to them respectfully to no avail. I finally told them to go to the properties, knock on the door and ask whomever was living there if I was lying or not. Never heard from them again. You see, Zillow would pull property listings from the local Multiple Listing Service and post them on their site. That's fine and dandy, but they never would update the site when a property sold or went off the market, making it look like all these houses were available on Zillow. This also led people to believe that the prices for properties that were on the market 5 or 6 years ago were current comps for the area. Not true at all. Another example of misleading Zillow info is that they would give an estimated property value by comparing the general area building size prices per square foot sales or tax value and calculating this to determine a building's value. Well, this is fine and dandy IF you are comparing comparable properties. Zillow does not look at properties. I had a potential buyer contact me from west Texas who was wanting to buy a property that he was convinced was a steal that he found on Zillow located in Galveston. I went and looked at it for him and he was not pleased with what I told him. The property would cost him more money to demo and clear the lot than the lot value would be. It was unfit to occupy and dangerous to enter. But, according to Zillow, the property was worth multiple 6 figures. So, yeah, I've a pretty low opinion of Zillow. Zillow is OK if you can find something that is accurate and current. The problem is, finding something that is current and accurate. On the other hand, if you have someone to buy your property and have the expertise to work with a title company to handle the closing documents, escrow funds, arrange for inspections and negotiate any resulting repairs needed, arrange for any survey that may be needed by local authorities or arrange for an existing one to be approved, tax required documents and tax pay offs, do lien and judgement research, can get a sales contract legally and properly prepared and executed, arrange for and negotiate any home warranty and any repair negotiations, arrange for any HOA transfer documents and approvals, arrange for any financing needed, etc., etc., then by all means do so yourself. Some transactions are relatively easy. Most all will have unexpected surprises, even when purchasing a new home. Sorry for the long post, but there is a lot to these real estate transactions than what meets the eye. Some, a LOT more so than others.

Henry, you just validated those of us who loath realtors. In your long response you say the phrase, " a good realtor" and you also describe how there are opportunities for anyone that is a real estate agent to misuse the system including pre-qual paperwork. This is akin to referencing a good-democrat. They are few and damn far between.

reality is, most real estate agents are a waste of space. They have no interest in working. No interest in getting deals done. they are simple copy editors for advertising. They don't want to do anything put create an ad and place that ad and wait until a person shows up with $ and then take their duly earned percentage.

Sorry to say this, but I believe I have met 3 decent real estate agents over the past 30 years. And I have looked at hundreds of properties and bought and sold quite a few as well.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I didn't realize there was this much stupid here willing / dying to throw their money away.

I've bought and sold over a hundred houses. Seems it was a waste of time describing in detail how to do that.

You and I have that in common.

Selling on your own just scares some folks that's never done it.
So, whatever it takes to make them feel warm and fuzzy.

I see it much like buying or selling a car or boat, do it all the time.

I read the real estate listings 2 or 3 times a day just looking for that property that I feel I can turn a buck on..

All the good deals are sold within a week, gotta move fast.
My offers are most always well below asking price, all cash, wave the home inspection and close in 7 days.
That typically gives my about a 50/50 chance of a seller biting or coming back with a counter offer but a 100% chance I'm gonna make some good money if I buy.

If it wasn't for the comp's the banks and realtors go by I'd make far less money in real estate

I could careless what the comp's are, if a place has unique qualities such as amazing views or stronger than your adverage features I'll sell for well over the comp price. I don't mind being a trend setter.

There are enough cash buyers out there to move a property for over comp. Banks will finance for over comp, they just require more out of the buyer, they can put up a second home, stocks or whatever collateral they might have to cover the distance the bank won't go on a property.

I don't entertain weak buyers when selling.
I don't care where they get their money as long as they show up at closing with a check.

Typical tire kickers all sing the same song, "when we sell our home, we'll buy yours" they'll be fishing for closing in 90 days and expecting 5K to hold the property until they sell theirs.
I just tell them to hold onto their 5K and come back and see me after they sell.

I close on my sells in 30 days and entertain every back up offer that comes along during that 30 days.
Buyers should hit the market ready to buy.

I keep blank buy/sell agreements in my center counsel, I fill them out on the hood of my truck once we strike a deal.

Realtors seem to spend a lot of time trying to shoehorn marginally qualified buyers into homes, maybe it's what they have to do to stay in a pay check, idunno, I just don't use them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You and I have that in common.

Selling on your own just scares some folks that's never done it.
So, whatever it takes to make them feel warm and fuzzy.

I see it much like buying or selling a car or boat, do it all the time.

I read the real estate listings 2 or 3 times a day just looking for that property that I feel I can turn a buck on..

All the good deals are sold within a week, gotta move fast.
My offers are most always well below asking price, all cash, wave the home inspection and close in 7 days.
That typically gives my about a 50/50 chance of a seller biting or coming back with a counter offer but a 100% chance I'm gonna make some good money if I buy.

If it wasn't for the comp's the banks and realtors go by I'd make far less money in real estate

I could careless what the comp's are, if a place has unique qualities such as amazing views or stronger than your adverage features I'll sell for well over the comp price. I don't mind being a trend setter.

There are enough cash buyers out there to move a property for over comp. Banks will finance for over comp, they just require more out of the buyer, they can put up a second home, stocks or whatever collateral they might have to cover the distance the bank won't go on a property.

I don't entertain weak buyers when selling.
I don't care where they get their money as long as they show up at closing with a check.

Typical tire kickers all sing the same song, "when we sell our home, we'll buy yours" they'll be fishing for closing in 90 days and expecting 5K to hold the property until they sell theirs.
I just tell them to hold onto their 5K and come back and see me after they sell.

I close on my sells in 30 days and entertain every back up offer that comes along during that 30 days.
Buyers should hit the market ready to buy.

I keep blank buy/sell agreements in my center counsel, I fill them out on the hood of my truck once we strike a deal.

Realtors seem to spend a lot of time trying to shoehorn marginally qualified buyers into homes, maybe it's what they have to do to stay in a pay check, idunno, I just don't use them.

Great info and perfect outlook. My long-time friend and I were just discussing how valuable it is to keep a folder in your vehicle with contracts, land trusts, quit claim deeds, memorandum of purchase and sale agreements to protect your deal (what is essentially a lien), etc.

I've bought and sold a lot of houses signing contracts on the hood of my truck in a t-shirt, cargo shorts, and a baseball cap. You don't have to be pretty, just fast.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They write deals like that.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would use a Realtor to help sell my home or property.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

293 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 38 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,063 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.