Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by deflave
I would not makes plans to see Glacier this summer.

They have a water park in Billings that has a giant bucket of water that dumps on you.

Thats where I am headed this summer.

#yolo

Well chit, no one clued me in. All we have are giant water slides that sometimes open in summer.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
BP-B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
This is just my opinion having lived in Idaho and Montana. Skip the parks until the Covid scare. While Glacier has nice scenery theres other nice scenery in Montana to be had without the signifigant crowds. I would look outside of Cooke City area at the Beartooth area. Maybe Half Moon campground in the Crazy Mtns. Theres nice country south of Livingston, and the Bitteroots. Perhaps a portion of the Bob Marshal. Just sayin' the touristy national park have unique attractions but they are exteemely crowded. Oh yes, Beartooth pass area.

Even living in close proximity to these national parks i try to avoid them as a rule as theres really nice country without the lines to wait behind.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Billygoatgruff: You just go right ahead and drive your family around Browning, St Mary and East Glacier every evening all summer long if you care to.
I won't risk my or my families life, limb and safety by doing so.
Are you new to the area?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

why ya gotta be hatin?

great places

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Prudence is a bad thing now?

You drive like a girl.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Drove to Polebridge twice last summer, bumper to bumper all the way up the North Fork road, never seen it like that before.

Second trip up the road was wasted, the gravel parts were washboard all the way.
Cars parked all the way out to the NF road from the Polebridge Mercantile, guess they sold a lot of doughnuts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TN deer hunter
Thanks guys!

We will be flying into Kalispell not sure on the dates yet, still looking for available lodging in July.

If you plan on kickin' around Kalispell your first or last night in Montana check on avalibilty at https://kalispellgrand.com/ it's right downtown, you can walk out the town from there and never have to drive, their rates are cheaper than most and it's been updated very nicely.

The https://lodgeatwhitefishlake.com/ is nice if you plan on spending anytime in that area but it's a bit more pricey than some, you do get what you pay for there though.

As I posted before, don't skip by the https://izaakwaltoninn.com/ , it's away from the Glacier Park crowds and far more than unique, pretty fair priced as well.

If your plans are to stay in one spot I'd definitely be looking into vacation rentals and soon, they can offer the best accommodations for the best price.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The truth is; the northwest is the one of the most beautiful areas you will find and Glacier is a pretty decent part of it. Anyone who has traveled or lived in the area over the last fifty years will be aware that the most striking thing about this area might be the burgeoning population. That aside, it's still an attractive area. GD

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I grew up darn near within walking distance of Babb on the Canadian side. I don’t live much further away now. I’d never stay there on purpose. But their are darn few places on earth, I’d imagine, that are more beautiful than Glacier National Park.

Last edited by pathfinder76; 01/19/21.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I camped and I loved it.

Camp is where you make it.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ribka: If you consider a person trying to keep himself and his family safe then YOU indeed are as stupid as YOU make YOURSELF sound!
If those places are so safe and wonderful then I assume YOU live there?
Sheesh.
Perhaps the best advice would NOT be coming from a "trans gender non binary transcendent mermaid queen-king" or what ever you are?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KFWA
I will be there the month before you

Depending on when you go in June, you might not be hitting the Going to the Sun Road (the only road in the park). Just casual averaging in my head, looks like the 3rd week of June is when it typically is cleared of snow and open for business. I don't know if they 'partially' open or not, some others will be in the know on that. Not sure how the current snowpack is, or forecasted for the rest of the winter either.

PDF of historical opening days-

https://www.fodors.com/community/at...open-close-dates_press-kit-6-26-2017.pdf

Quick grab from the last 20 years-

2000 May 27
2001 June 7
2002 June 28
2003 May 30
2004 May 30
2005 May 22
2006 June 23
2007 July 1
2008 July 2
2009 June 26
2010 June 24
2011 July 13
2012 June 19
2013 June 21
2015 June 19
2016 June 16

11 of us stayed in a VRBO west of Whitefish 7 or 8 miles on a creek a few years ago. House and property was nice, but not a quick trip to the park. We did do some hiking on National Forest Land though that had no crowds to deal with.

Whitefish is contantly said to be yuppie/liberal-ville on here, and rightfully so. But going to town to buy some coffee or eat at a restaurant won't turn you in to one, other than financially supporting them is bad...

A friends family owns the KOA at West Glacier. We got on the 'red jammer bus tour' there at the KOA. It was a super nice facility. My family enjoyed the bus tour (travels the length of the Going to The Sun Road and back. We saw deer, elk, bears, goats, moose, and I'm sure some others from the seat of the bus. Driver did say it was not typical to see that much from the bus though.

The same family had a son that was a Park Ranger Forest Service LEO (edited per BGG's local knowledge) killed by a grizzly as he was riding his bicycle outside of the park a few years ago. Grizzly came out of the timber, knocked him off his bike, and killed him. Was all over the national news when it happened.

Hiked the Hi-Line trail one day, some guys passing us going opposite direction said they'd just seen a grizzly cross the trail in front of us 20 minutes before. I was glad the ham sandwiches were in the wifes backpack....

For our hiking, we parked at the visitors center, then grabbed a shuttle to take us to the trailhead and back after the hiking was done. Shuttles are constantly running up and down the road.

Last edited by Cheesy; 01/19/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Brad Treat (the man killed by the grizzly) was Forest Service LEO not Park Service.

MAGA
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

You drive like a girl.

Well....what if you miss the turn? What then?

Best not to take chances.....

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
TN deer hunter: I have been visiting Glacier National Park and its surrounding areas for decades now.
My advice, for the safety of you and your family, is to NOT stay in East Glacier, Browning or St. Mary.
The reasons (my reasons!) would possibly be considered "racist" by some - so I will NOT elaborate on them (the danger) here.
I have toured Glacier so many times and have done hiking and camping in the back country along with jet helicopter tours (which I HIGHLY recommend!) along with the wonderful drive tours.
Stay in West Glacier, Kalispell or Whitefish.
I do recommend that you DRIVE through East Galcier and St. Mary during the day - and the south approach around the Park to those areas is very scenic and serene.
I recommend that.
I have a picture I took last September (Glaciers most beautiful month?) that I can E-mail you that I took just south of St. Mary looking west that is one of the most outstanding pictures I have ever taken!
In the past I would have highly recommended you also tour the Moiese Bison Range south of Glacier but since the Federal Governement turned it over to "indian control" several years back it has been destroyed.
This was a stunning place to go on an auto tour to view Bison, Elk, Bear, Bighorn Sheep, Mule Deer, Antelope and Whitetailed Deer - at one time I even got pictures of Mt. Goat there - the last time I was there (2 years ago) I saw NO Mule Deer, NO Elk, NO Antelope, NO Bighorn Sheep, NO Whitetailed Deer and was accosted at the gate/entrance by a family of drinking and drunken indians selling "Elk jerky" at a roadside stand!
Again my advice - do not be in or travelling through the Browning, East Glacier or St Mary areas in the early evening or at night.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't listen to scared old guys. Cripes its not that bad. I spend plenty of time there every year and have for more that a decade with 0 (zero) problems. Thousands (1000's) upon thousands (1000's) of visitors enter the park from the east every year, pre covid.

VG must have one heck of a time hunting on public land if he can't find any wildlife on the Bison Range. Generally you can see bison from HWY 93.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad Treat (the man killed by the grizzly) was Forest Service LEO not Park Service.

Thanks for the correction (I was almost kinda close)-Didn't know him or his family, just did some work with his cousin who was telling me the story after I'd just vacationed there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Thanks for the correction (I was almost kinda close)-Didn't know him or his family, just did some work with his cousin who was telling me the story after I'd just vacationed there.

I didn’t mean to sound like a dick, hope you didn’t take it that way I was just correcting the record.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

You drive like a girl.

Well....what if you miss the turn? What then?

Best not to take chances.....

I drive like a girl with a large cock and beautiful beard.

I’ve missed my exit in big shidthole cities and busy towns enough I don’t like to fugk around. Clarke likes to zip around and cut people off like he’s in a major metro area. I don’t. I can and have but I don’t like that style of driving.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I didn’t mean to sound like a dick, hope you didn’t take it that way I was just correcting the record.

Didn’t take it that way at all. Facts is facts and I welcome the corrections. Now if we could get my wife to understand that...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Depending on when you go in June, you might not be hitting the Going to the Sun Road (the only road in the park). Just casual averaging in my head, looks like the 3rd week of June is when it typically is cleared of snow and open for business. I don't know if they 'partially' open or not, some others will be in the know on that. Not sure how the current snowpack is, or forecasted for the rest of the winter either.

yea, I hiked in Banff in mid June and while the roads had no problems in getting there, two trails we hiked ended up requiring we turn around due to waist deep snow. I am just not familiar enough with GNP to know if that was an issue or not, and was part of the reason I was asking about an SUV, specifically an AWD one.

I also hit Yosemite once in late April and they wouldn't let me in the park unless I had snow chains on my car (which was also a rental) so I had to park at the visitor center and hike just what was close by which sucked.

I will be there June 16th

Last edited by KFWA; 01/19/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Depending on when you go in June, you might not be hitting the Going to the Sun Road (the only road in the park). Just casual averaging in my head, looks like the 3rd week of June is when it typically is cleared of snow and open for business. I don't know if they 'partially' open or not, some others will be in the know on that.

It opens and closes bit by bit, usually they keep it closed at the Loop on the west side until the pass opens.

It never totally closes, I've driven in there every month of the year.
Some really good cross country skiing and photography opportunities early on as well as fishing on Lake McDonald.

They get it open to "Avalanche" first then Logan Creek and the Loop after that. It's pretty much open to Lake McDonald year round.
You can keep up with the progress while they open the road here..
https://www.nps.gov/applications/glac/roadstatus/roadstatus.cfm

For some early can be a better time to visit if they have don't care about going up the wall part of the road to the pass. They don't charge a entrance fee early and there is no crowds at all.

Don't expect to find any of the facilities open early, it's like a ghost town.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
353 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.