Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody have this done? How did it work out?

Having it done in Flagstaff, traveled there today...finally getting some snow in northern AZ.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
BP-B2

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Nope, but best of luck to you!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No report I can give but best wishes and recovery to you.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I had a "360" done a year ago last week L3-L4-L5. Get up and walk ASAP and keep doing so at every opportunity Make sure your gut wakes up well after surgery as this is sometimes a real problem. Keep walking until you are healed enough to do physical therapy. get off the pain meds as soon as possible. Good luck with this. I was able to return to full work after about 5-6 months hopefully yours won't be as extensive....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good luck.If you don't follow Dr. orders, 30-50 % of patients are back under the knife in less than 10 years. Learn to squat instead of bending, limit twisting, limit load lifting to what they tell you. Mine is is 40 pounds. Walk every a day even after returning to normal life.Do back exercises the rest of your life. I am looking at my third back surgery now.

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/19/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okie is spot on.
I had mine done last year November.
Wasn't awake 30 minutes, and I was up walking.
No pain meds til you go.
Took me over a day...
The pain was unbelievable!
Doing fine now. Was off for 4 months.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Okie is spot on.
No pain meds til you go.
Took me over a day...

Dang.That looks just like mine, only I have double the number of screws.Ditto on the pain

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
good luck

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Best wishes on the surgery. Recovery time and discomfort depend on how much had to be done.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best wishes - hope the work goes as well as possible and that you have a great recovery - and can really enjoy some benefits. Wish we had snow snow - or any form of moisture - down here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dude, hope you can recover without too much discomfort. I have many friends in the construction trades go through this. Thankfully, I am not one of em , yet! Hang tough!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Okie is spot on.
No pain meds til you go.
Took me over a day...

My son had exactly this done 13 months ago at 27. It was his second surgery. Still struggles.

I feel for you guys who all have to go through it. Better than the alternative...but still very tough road.

USMC 0351

We know the price of everything and the value of nothing.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had L4, L5, and S1 fused in 2014. I wouldn't be working and enjoying life today if I hadn't gotten it done.

Be patient on the healing process, it takes a long time, I bet it was 4-5 years before I was completely healed.

I'll give you 3 pieces of advice.

1. be sure of your doctor, if your not don't let him cut

2. Don't be an idiot and over do it, it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

3. Do exactly what your doctor says, listen to every word or it will stay with you for the rest of your life.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Best of luck! I’ve always had a strong back and a weak mind.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by okie
I had a "360" done a year ago last week L3-L4-L5. Get up and walk ASAP and keep doing so at every opportunity Make sure your gut wakes up well after surgery as this is sometimes a real problem. Keep walking until you are healed enough to do physical therapy. get off the pain meds as soon as possible. Good luck with this. I was able to return to full work after about 5-6 months hopefully yours won't be as extensive....

This is the best advice you will get.

Been there done that.

Last edited by steve4102; 01/20/21.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Little over 3 years ago for me now. Some good advice given here. Walk as soon, and as much, as possible until you heal good enough for therapy. Get off the meds asap and follow your doctors advise/recommendations. This has slowed me down a little, but getting there, and no more excruciating pain anymore! Have done 2 AZ OTC bowhunts since all this. Not as fast as I used to be, but I got everywhere I wanted to go. Best to you and hoping/praying for a speedy recovery for you.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 01/20/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
AZmark,
Had to have mine done 2-3 years ago. Pain after was nothing compared to the pain prior. I hope you have researched your cutter extensively. The first thing I asked Doc, was how many of these have you done. He replied "over 1,000". I checked with some other folks who'd had the same procedure, with any number of drs, and some of them had real horror stories, including almost complete immobility. This doc seemed to have a lot of good reports.

Your first year will be rough and you will experience some pretty bad days. I used OTC painkillers instead of the Rx crap. I see you are semi-retired. Let your family take care of you and don't try to be a hero. Lift carefully and do your PT exercises. Not hard - just constant stuff.

I had two rods installed along side of the spine. The part with the fusion never bothers me but the attachment points of the rods get cranky once in a while. Couple of weeks ago I took a load of ceramic tile into my gunroom to re-do the gun room. Slipped on some snow/ice and twisted my hips. Been paying for it ever since. Stupid stuff like that will cost you - don't do it.

Best of luck to you and keep us informed about your progress.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I,m 2 months out on back surgery, Laminectomy ,facetomy and foraminotomy on 2/ 3 lombar. ( no hardware installed)
Everything you need to do for a good recovery has been cover in previous posts.
Best of luck to you !!

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the input.....seems the rehab is probably the most important and I plan on doing it right as I want to hunt with my sons/DiLs/Gkids for years to come if thats in the cards.

First day after surgery was not too bad for the pain but today has been real painful at the incision site....the constant pain shooting down my legs has already gone away. I went real light on the pain meds to start so my guts would start back up and thats probably why I hurt so much today. Wife drove us home from Flagstaff today.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by AZmark
Thanks for all the input.....seems the rehab is probably the most important and I plan on doing it right as I want to hunt with my sons/DiLs/Gkids for years to come if thats in the cards.

First day after surgery was not too bad for the pain but today has been real painful at the incision site....the constant pain shooting down my legs has already gone away. I went real light on the pain meds to start so my guts would start back up and thats probably why I hurt so much today. Wife drove us home from Flagstaff today.

Good luck. Miralax!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
384 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.