Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by steve4102
What your preferred bullet for SHTF rifle ammo?
FMJ, or expanding soft point?

I load my SHTF mags one of each, alternating.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What your preferred bullet for SHTF rifle ammo?
FMJ, or expanding soft point?

My Suppressed 300BO SBR that is kept bedside its Barnes 110gr TacTx and the other 5.56 ARs that are kept around the house are loaded with soft points, mainly 62gr Fusions and Gold Dots. Have 10 or so mags loaded with same but the balance of my loaded mags are 193 FMJs and some 855 green tip.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My best friend during Grad school was Matt Marshall. His dad is Evan Marshall, the guy that wrote a book on stopping power. I asked him once what was the best handgun to keep in my car. He said you should keep a rifle in your car and a hand gun on you to fight your way back to it. He suggested an sks converted to 30 round mags. I said I had one and it wasn't very accurate. He said it was plenty accurate for a battle rifle. He said you'll be gunning and running not shooting groups from a bench.

I've been meaning to get an AK but worry I missed my chance. I almost bought a palmetto last year but someone told me nit to that there were better ones. I hesitated.

I'm now finishing a 8.5" 300 BO with a bracelet that'll ride in a vehicle when done.

Bb

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Yep, the only reason for a pistol is because you can't carry a rifle everywhwre.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One inch 400 yards!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can shoot a pistol better than a lot can a rifle.... lol.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have been loading 63 grain SMPs. Mostly for urban warfare and home defense out of a Mini 14 and a couple of AR 14.5 carbines.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
IIRC, about 80 yards. Sitting against the truck tire. 7.62x39. Tula 122gr FMJ, or smilar.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One thing I do know

If the shtf

I’m glad I’m on your guys side

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
it wasn't very accurate. He said it was plenty accurate for a battle rifle. He said you'll be gunning and running not shooting groups from a bench.

I'm now finishing a 8.5" 300 BO with a bracelet that'll ride in a vehicle when done.

Bb

That right their is the god honest truth far as gunning and running.... I built a 7.5 300 blackout I shoot 130gr hollow points at 100yds with peep sights I could make someone day very uncomfortable. I was surprised at the accuracy. I use Winchester 296 17.5gr if I remember right.

Last edited by 79S; 12/26/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Word of advice for all you wanna be revolutionaries aim for the belt line..,

Just below the vest?

Yes vests cover right about belt line.. or their side when they raise their arms exposes the non protected sides..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
would not want to be the one on the other end of my colt AR because I'm going to shoot you in the head.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Here’s what I got.
I have developed accuracy loads for all my ARs. They all shoot nice tiny groups, even my 7.62 x 39 Armalite.
Most of my brass for these rifles is all loaded and ready to go, cept for my 223/5.56, I still have about 1K to load. That’s not a problem because I have the bullets, powder and primers.

The problem is with my Ruger Mini-30. It’s a custom built Bull barrel with a .308 bore. I have developed accuracy loads for this over the years with several different bullet weights, brands and types.
A few weeks ago I was organizing my reloading room and the piles of brass. I uncovered two boxes of IMI 7.62 x 39 brass 1K per box. Now I need to fill this brass.

...but I don’t have enough of the same bullet brand, weight and type to load all this brass, I have enough bullets, just not all the same, so POI will vary, some a little some a lot.
I have 125gr, 130gr, 135gr, FMJ, SP, Ballistic Tip, Match and Single Shot Pistol, I also have a bunch of 150 gr, but I’m leaving them out for now.

I’m hoping to come up with a load with all these different bullets that will produce acceptable SHTF Accuracy.
I’m hoping for 3 inches at 2400fps
Possible?

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stxhunter
would not want to be the one on the other end of my colt AR because I'm going to shoot you in the head.

Well we all would... center of mass wins everyday... the point of war in my opinion is to make their buddies see them suffer.. They see their bros crying for momma guts hanging out will suck the fight right out of them..

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, I think I am satisfied.

I loaded everything I had for my Mini 30 that I had in stock.

New IMI 7.62 x 39 Brass with various .308 bullets. My Mini is a .308 bore custom barrel.

I had 2K brass and ended up with about 300 left with no bullets to seat.

Bullets.
125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
125gr Hornady FMJ
125gr Sierra Pro Hunter
130gr Hornady SP
130gr Speer Varmint HP
130gr Speer FN

All were loaded with 27.7gr AA 1680

Target was set out at 80 yards
No bench, off the hood of my truck

Ultra Dot red dot sight.

The top group of 4 were the Hornady FMJ

https://i.postimg.cc/MTFKN9hc/IMG-1249.jpg

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by szihn
Most combat in open fields takes place at 300 meters and under and 75% of that at 150 and under. Most urban combat takes place at 100 and less, and a lot taking place at feet not yards. So accuracy is more about the shooter then the tool. Shooting someone that's trying to do you and your buddies harm, while you heart rate is like a hummingbird, and while your targets are moving and hiding as well as they can, is not near as easy as most (who have not done it) think it is.

Having been on the wrong end of AKs many times, I am still convinced that for the average town or city dweller, one of the best (if not THE best) weapons you can have in an AK47. They are not usually super accurate, but they are reliable and easy to use. With the advent of scope mounts that actually work on AKS I am of the opinion that a militia member or unit, armed with AKs that are set up with low powered scopes might just be the very best type of weapon that could be asked for by a soldier.

In reality a 3 MOA weapon and ammo with which you can use to hit a 5 MOA target in 1-2 seconds is way better then a 1/4 MOA weapon you can hit a 1/4" target with in 10 seconds.

You will almost never have 10 seconds to make a shot in a fight. Shoot as fast as you can make hits, BUT NO FASTER! Thinking you can hit a "1/2" target" is not realistic because if your target is 1/2" part of a man, you will not know for sure who the man is--------- and if he should be shot or not.

I have real experience in both areas. (USMC and later working for DOD as a trainer for troops, favored by our government) Precision shooting does have it's place, but in real fights you'll find that even as a sniper you fire most shots in combat at under 500 and a lot at 350 or there-abouts, but what you shoot at is often going to be a "piece of the enemy" shot through a hole in a wall, a gap in the brush or trees or between rocks. In fights that are comprised of dozens of bad guys VS dozens of good guys, about 99% of the shots are going to be close, and pretty fast. If the SHTF scenario is to come to be, going after the enemy and taking the war to them is how you will win. NEVER in a defensive mindset. if 19,000 japs can't hold Iwo Jima with 4 years to get ready, you are NOT going to hold you position either. Patton told the world and he was right. "Fortified positions are monuments to the stupidity of man". If [bleep], you need to go hunting, not waiting for the enemy to dictate the rules of the contest. Go AFTER THEM and let them worry about defending their homes.

Practical and useful accuracy for war is about fire and maneuver. You need to have the initiative. In civilian shooting think flushing birds not sniping prairie dogs.

So "accuracy" is BY FAR more about the man than it is the weapon or ammo.

If you have a 1/2 MOA weapon and ammo that is NEVER a bad thing, but the usefulness of 1/4 MOA over 1.5 MOA will not be seen in 1 shot out of 1000 in a real war. More accuracy is never a disadvantage, but in most cases anything better then 2MOA will never be noticed in a real war. It may be for taking out a few the communist leaders, but only for about the first 2 days of the war.

After that all of the leaders are going to be in hiding and the only want to get them is to go after them and kill all those loyal to them 1st. Standard rifles, shotguns and fire bombs are going to be doing the bulk of the damage to the enemy. Like about 99.999% of it.

Mostly this.

Not keen on other posts advising "belt buckle" shots.
Though a pelvic cradle hit is an immediate mobility disabler it usually takes several minutes to bleed out.
Generally lots of screaming too. Don't ask.

My philosophy was alway, if someone is worth shooting, they're worth killing. Go for upper thoracic hits, the closer to center line the more effective they are, and don't be stingy. Several hits good!

Don't get too wrapped around the axle about ammo. Use the best, most accurate you can, but I have shot through car doors and rims with 5.56 frange.

As always, the better Indian you are, the less the arrows matter.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
What’s your accuracy requirements for SHTF Rifle Ammo?

2 MOA

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by stxhunter

At what distance?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 69 invisible), 2,925 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.